Will destiny survive (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, December 31, 2013, 10:06 (3781 days ago) @ destinybungie

Define survival. Are we talking about which game has the highest initial sales numbers (in which case "survive" isn't the best term probably - it implies that only the top-selling game makes a profit, which obviously isn't true). Or are we talking about which one keeps the biggest chunk of people playing long after release?

In the case of the former, it's hard to say. The bro-marketed multiplayer shooters do tend to be the biggest sellers so Titanfall will probably be huge. On the other hand, Activision seems to be fully behind Destiny (and who knows, that may even become more so, given the terrible reception of the latest CoD), and heavy marketing can do a lot.

In the case of the latter, I'd bet on Destiny, at least against the two games you mentioned. It seems to me that Far Cry and CoD releases (there hasn't been a previous Titanfall release to compare to, in lieu of that I'll use CoD) tend to be the gaming flavor-of-the-month. They sell big initially, and they're all the rage until the next MP shooter or playable tech demo comes along. Then they become a ghost town.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread