I agree with you... mostly (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 03, 2014, 08:46 (3778 days ago) @ MrPadraig08
edited by Kermit, Friday, January 03, 2014, 08:55

Not to add to the pressure already on them, but this is probably their most important release ever and may be remembered as such for a very long time.

Think about it.

They're trying something new. As much as everyone is trying to anticipate and label what the game is, I don't think we can have a good idea until the beta because I firmly believe that Bungie is trying to do something that hasn't been done before by doing what they've done before--that is, borrowing the good stuff from other games, adding their own special sauce and extra polish, and thereby creating something better than we anticipated.

When this plane takes off it's going to fly for a long time. I don't see it landing to refuel. There will be sequels, but this game in many ways will set the template for what they'll be building and playing for the next large chunk of time.

I look at it from their perspective. I've long thought that part of what Bungie is trying to do is not just provide something with staying power for fans, but something for that has staying power for them--something that will keep their interest for a decade. I also think they want to build something that is exremely well planned so that they aren't forced to burn through their human capitial to support and continue it. I think Bungie wants to make gaming better but also wants to make the business of game development better. I think they want to provide a compelling gameplay experience for fans and a compelling and non-exhaustive work experience for the talent that they've managed to attract.

It's going to require a lot of smarts, which I think they have, but also a good bit of wisdom, which I hope they've gained over the past 20+ years. For the sake of our hobby let's all hope that they're successful.

This is part of why the delay doesn't bother me. The better this take-off goes, the better the flight will be.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread