I released an iOS game, Dutch Archer (Off-Topic)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 09:32 (3745 days ago)

So I've always played around with demos ever since I started coding in middle school. They've always been half baked concepts and were always just me fiddling with ideas ("hmmm can I make a spaceship fly around in a way that reminds me of the warthog").

I recently decided that I needed to start actually releasing things and stop polishing unreleasable nonsense. I've recently spent a long time working on a competitive spy game that

That lead me to pick up the awesome sprites over at Oryx Design Labs (pixel art by Destiny Art Director @cgbarrett) and throw together a really basic arcade game. The foundation of the game took me a weekend to build in Unity3D (with the latest 2D bits from the 4.3 release) and another weekend to test/submit on iOS with GameCenter integration.

Any feedback appreciated, even the brutal "what the hell is this?" kind.

App Store Link

[image]

Currently rated as 5 stars with 8 reviews!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 09:57 (3745 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

best part is my cousin's review

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 10:01 (3745 days ago) @ Xenos

"Highly addictive! Has the fun and charm of a great SNES side scroller."

Uhhhh what are you talking about Brian, did you play it?

best part is my cousin's review

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 10:05 (3745 days ago) @ kidtsunami

"Highly addictive! Has the fun and charm of a great SNES side scroller."

Uhhhh what are you talking about Brian, did you play it?

Wait until you see my review: "Just like Mario! GREAT GAME!"

I released an iOS game, Dutch Archer

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 19:01 (3745 days ago) @ kidtsunami

So I've always played around with demos ever since I started coding in middle school. They've always been half baked concepts and were always just me fiddling with ideas ("hmmm can I make a spaceship fly around in a way that reminds me of the warthog").

I recently decided that I needed to start actually releasing things and stop polishing unreleasable nonsense. I've recently spent a long time working on a competitive spy game that

That lead me to pick up the awesome sprites over at Oryx Design Labs (pixel art by Destiny Art Director @cgbarrett) and throw together a really basic arcade game. The foundation of the game took me a weekend to build in Unity3D (with the latest 2D bits from the 4.3 release) and another weekend to test/submit on iOS with GameCenter integration.

Any feedback appreciated, even the brutal "what the hell is this?" kind.

App Store Link

[image]

Nice work!

I'll try it on my ipad in a bit and give yous some feedback. one thing I notice though, is that the sprites are a bit all over the place. Try and keep the same rough pixel density for all sprites. Specifically the grass vs. the platform vs. the archer. It looks off in the picture. Also, make sure in Unity you set the import settings for the sprite to "Point" filter, though I'm not sure if the blur is just from the jpeg compression.

I released an iOS game, Dutch Archer

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 02:15 (3745 days ago) @ electricpirate

Nice work!

I'll try it on my ipad in a bit and give yous some feedback. one thing I notice though, is that the sprites are a bit all over the place. Try and keep the same rough pixel density for all sprites. Specifically the grass vs. the platform vs. the archer. It looks off in the picture. Also, make sure in Unity you set the import settings for the sprite to "Point" filter, though I'm not sure if the blur is just from the jpeg compression.

Thanks! Yeah, I did the ground first and got a little silly with it and haven't gone back. I'll give it a once over and resize it appropriately and double check that all of the import settings are set to "Point" (Most should be because initially the archer did not look right one bit).

Cheers!

Orange JUICE

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 04:34 (3744 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by electricpirate, Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 05:00

No worries.

Okay, I played it now!

Here's some quick thoughts. The core idea is pretty fun, and you obviously put some care into the pieces. IE, the bats have a bit larger hitbox, and the demon dudes scale up nicely. Now a little input juice will go a LONG way. Here's Jan Williamson of Vlambeer (Super crate box, ridiculous fishing, Etc) on it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U Also required viewing, Juice it or lose it by Grakefrukt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy0aCDmgnxg

You can probably put a bunch of juice in under a couple of hours and the game will just feel tremendously better. Grab iTween from the asset store, add some dirt simple camera shake when the arrow hits, call this, (this is in C#)

Hashtable ht = new Hashtable();
ht.Add("x",1.0f);
ht.Add("y",1.0f);
ht.Add("time",.5f);

iTween.ShakePosition(Camera.main.gameObject, ht)

Take a look at the arrows in towerfall, those feel *really* great. so implement something like that and it will feel really great.

Finally, try out some simple animations, the animations system in Unity 4.3 is actually pretty great! It's really easy to get a sprite sheet in and get to work.

Orange JUICE *OH MOST DEFINITELY*

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 07:22 (3744 days ago) @ electricpirate

No worries.

Okay, I played it now!

Here's some quick thoughts. The core idea is pretty fun, and you obviously put some care into the pieces. IE, the bats have a bit larger hitbox, and the demon dudes scale up nicely. Now a little input juice will go a LONG way. Here's Jan Williamson of Vlambeer (Super crate box, ridiculous fishing, Etc) on it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U Also required viewing, Juice it or lose it by Grakefrukt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy0aCDmgnxg

You can probably put a bunch of juice in under a couple of hours and the game will just feel tremendously better. Grab iTween from the asset store, add some dirt simple camera shake when the arrow hits, call this, (this is in C#)

Hashtable ht = new Hashtable();
ht.Add("x",1.0f);
ht.Add("y",1.0f);
ht.Add("time",.5f);

iTween.ShakePosition(Camera.main.gameObject, ht)

Take a look at the arrows in towerfall, those feel *really* great. so implement something like that and it will feel really great.

Finally, try out some simple animations, the animations system in Unity 4.3 is actually pretty great! It's really easy to get a sprite sheet in and get to work.

I had that specific Vlambeer presentation in mind for my next few updates! Just planning on taking each slide and adding it as a task.

And animations are definitely on the way. As I'm not an artist and the sprites from Oryx aren't really animated I'm planning on using Spriter to make some animations by cutting up the existing sprites. I'm just going to see what else I can do (namely anything from that presentation that applies) before animations.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

Congrats!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 20:44 (3745 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Downloaded it this afternoon! I'll give it a go before I head to bed!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread