Story and Gaming - Titanfall Edition (Off-Topic)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 11:07 (3745 days ago)

Been playing this game like crazy. I very much enjoy campaign, as the flavor it adds to the matches is enjoyable. The story itself isn't anything too crazy (and gets instantly better if you just pretend it's the war before Firefly), and is really difficult to follow the first couple times through. 3-4 times through, you basically get it.

It's got some cool moments. The back and forth between MacAllen and Graves is enjoyable, and the twist on "We'll let the endgame decide who's right, and who's dead" while predictable, adds a bit of narrative weight to the proceedings.

The other characters are pretty stock, but, they grow on you a bit.

And holy shit those cutscenes right before the "Battle of Demeter." Fancy some ODST only better, or perhaps some Saving Private Titanfall? Way better way to start a match than "Beep... beep... beep... DING."

Overall, I sort of see it as a first effort, something slightly experimental, not all that good, but interesting. Looking forward to see where it goes (campaign DLC? Man vs. Machine mode? All that is set up nicely).

Two things though I think are really excellent: I'm glad they didn't go for a traditional campaign story, because hey, those Modern Warfare games aren't exactly the Shakespeare of our medium, amirite? Second, the set pieces that develop thanks to the splendid mechanics that is Titanfall blow away much of what I've played in singleplayer games as very as excitement and tension go.

What say y'all?

I'm confused

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 12:36 (3745 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I thought the game was multiplayer only. You're saying there's a single player campaign?

I'm confused

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 12:49 (3745 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I thought the game was multiplayer only. You're saying there's a single player campaign?

There's a "campaign" mode thingy which throws a story onto competitive MP games.

There is no single-player campaign.

Apologies, should've clarified.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 15:06 (3745 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Story and Gaming - Titanfall Edition

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 13:51 (3745 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'll have the try that Firefly trick. That'll probably help tremendously.

I had trouble following it, but maybe that's because Bones was talking to me. ;)

Honestly, I understand why Respawn did what they did (both from a resource and business perspective), and the gameplay and graphics are so well polished it's hard to be critical. That said, I kept thinking about how awesome a REAL campaign in this universe would be, and once my mind got on that track, it was hard for me to suppress my disappointment. On the other hand, you can't program enemies to be as smart as the pilots are.

It's still a hell of a lot of fun, and I'll keep playing. At some point I expect that the story, such as it is, will become clearer to me.

Kermit

P.S. Let's play! You can explain the story to me.

Story and Gaming - Titanfall Edition *spoilers*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 14:59 (3745 days ago) @ Kermit

I'll have the try that Firefly trick. That'll probably help tremendously.

RIGHT? Just don't step on Mal or Zoey, or I'll hate you forever.

Honestly, I understand why Respawn did what they did (both from a resource and business perspective), and the gameplay and graphics are so well polished it's hard to be critical. That said, I kept thinking about how awesome a REAL campaign in this universe would be, and once my mind got on that track, it was hard for me to suppress my disappointment. On the other hand, you can't program enemies to be as smart as the pilots are.

Yeah, a campaign would be cool, but it just wouldn't have the same magic as it is now. Having intelligent, creative enemies like Pilots can only work if those enemies are, well, human.

Plus, the Grunts and Spectres are just there for more creative problem solving on the part of the player. Pop a Conscription Burn Card at the start, and soak up all those Grunts you spawn with. When you hack a Spectre, it jumps to the buddies, so 4 for the price of 1 (and the same number of points for killing a Pilot in Attrition).

It's still a hell of a lot of fun, and I'll keep playing. At some point I expect that the story, such as it is, will become clearer to me.

Kermit

P.S. Let's play! You can explain the story to me.

I'm on PC. :( So here's the rundown. :D

Spoilers obviously for anyone that might care.

IMC is milking the crap out of the Frontier. The Militia hate this, so, fighting. MacAllen used to serve under Graves, and they used to run war games about how the Militia might defeat the IMC. They had a K/D of 1.0 against each other, and their best plans always ended in one place: take the key fueling stop of the Frontier, Demeter, out of play. This keeps the IMC from sending reinforcements.

MacAllen eventually decides he's sick and tired of the IMC's bullshit, Mal Reynolds this shit, and leaves the IMC with the Odyssey. Graves lets him leave because bros.

While fighting the IMC, the Militia stumble across MacAllen. MacAllen mad the IMC killed innocents, so he's gonna fuck up the IMC. He takes the plans for Demeter from the Odyssey, grabs Barker because he used to work at the Dragon Planet, then goes to the Dragon Planet to learn how Repulsor Towers work (they allow humans to keep out nasty wildlife). Once they know this, they can take out a major IMC military installation, giving them a shot at Demeter. Kill Sentinel along the way cause big ships are bad.

Basically, once the Milita grab MacAllen they go from rag tag ruffians to goddamn Rommel. Which is nice.

They attack Demeter, and MacAllen realizes the only way to destroy Demeter is to overload the system himself, commiting suicide and murdering everyone on the ground (This makes the "Who's right, and who's dead" line interesting. MacAllen is right, but dead).

Graves, because helped his bro die, joins the Militia. Spyglass (the robot) takes over for the IMC, Blisk (the South African) is a dick, and basically endless multiplayer war forever the end.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 15:07 (3745 days ago) @ Kermit

Honestly, I understand why Respawn did what they did (both from a resource and business perspective), and the gameplay and graphics are so well polished it's hard to be critical. That said, I kept thinking about how awesome a REAL campaign in this universe would be, and once my mind got on that track, it was hard for me to suppress my disappointment.

They've actually said they may do a real single player campaign in the future but they didn't want to worry about it on the first release, so maybe in Titanfall 2? My only disappointment in the campaign is that your team's performance doesn't actually affect the story at all. I know making a huge branching campaign would be crazy, but at least slight changes in the audio or cutscenes would be appreciated.

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 15:16 (3745 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

To me, Titanfall seems like a proof of concept game. It is a wonderful, glorious game, but it seems to be done to prove to Respawn (and others) that FPS doesn't have to be what we've seen for the past ten years in Halo and CoD. Titanfall 2 will, hopefully, introduce some more story - the Prima guide and the Art of Titanfall give a little more detail, if you're interested.

Flexibility and reach *Minor SP*

by Nikko B201 ⌂, England, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 16:32 (3745 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I think it was a good start, and it was fun, but I was expecting more flexibility. As it is, the story pretty much plays out the same whoever wins the fights, and there's not much length to it to offset that (I played through the whole thing in 1-2 sittings). To be "perfect", in my undoubtedly flawed definition, it needs to either be meatier as a tradeoff for being less flexible, or more flexible as a tradeoff for being lightweight. There's not enough story in the campaign to justify the lack of flexiblity; it's not as if there's 20+ missions you'd need full dynamic dialogue and cutscenes for.

The gameplay, though, is exceedingly fun, and what story there is was well done. I especially like Blisk and Spyglass (I've had a thing for South African characters since District 9, no idea why), and the writing does seem solid. The cutscenes, although there aren't really any big ones like a "proper" campaign, are pretty well-done. I didn't see any clipping and the effects were great - two things I noticed a lot in ME3, which ironically despite being much more campaign-focused really kinda faltered on the cutscene graphics...so that's a point in Respawn's favour.

The ending of the Battle of Demeter confused me a bit. I mean, we all died, right? And then we didn't. I don't really know what happened there. I could see it if they'd mentioned some sort of DUST 514-style cloning gubbins the pilots use, but they didn't, so dying and respawning is assumed to not be a thing as far as the story's concerned...up until we apparently did it at Demeter.

Overall though, I think it's good. There are things that could maybe be done better, but it's certainly "good enough".
And that's my thoughts.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 16:39 (3745 days ago) @ Nikko B201

I didn't see any clipping and the effects were great - two things I noticed a lot in ME3, which ironically despite being much more campaign-focused really kinda faltered on the cutscene graphics...so that's a point in Respawn's favour.

Man I cannot tell you how much that drove me crazy in all three Mass Effects. You don't even have THAT many armor options, at least make them not clip!

The ending of the Battle of Demeter confused me a bit. I mean, we all died, right? And then we didn't. I don't really know what happened there.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the campaign you are technically supposed to be a different pilot each time you spawn, so everybody died that was on Demeter, and now you're a different pilot in the next mission.

by Nikko B201 ⌂, England, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 16:48 (3745 days ago) @ Xenos

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the campaign you are technically supposed to be a different pilot each time you spawn, so everybody died that was on Demeter, and now you're a different pilot in the next mission.

That certainly makes sense as an explanation, but it really would help if that was actually mentioned somewhere. As it stands it's quite confusing unless you specifically go looking for info like this.

I agree

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 17:01 (3745 days ago) @ Nikko B201

Demeter's endgame was very confusing. Even if I did understand within the minute, it was very unsettling. Kindda like the nuclear blast on COD4:MW, except it is not evident anywhere that we have a secondary character to play as.

Btw, Nikko, Demeter uses the American spelling. ;)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 20:43 (3745 days ago) @ Xenos

The ending of the Battle of Demeter confused me a bit. I mean, we all died, right? And then we didn't. I don't really know what happened there.

Yeah, but I didn't get it either till the last mission.

The thing is hypothetically we could have been the same Pilot up till Demeter, because the supporting characters are all there on drop-ships with us each time. So... that's what makes if feel awkward to me.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 21:11 (3745 days ago) @ breitzen

Yeah, but I didn't get it either till the last mission.

The thing is hypothetically we could have been the same Pilot up till Demeter, because the supporting characters are all there on drop-ships with us each time. So... that's what makes if feel awkward to me.

Oh I wasn't saying it was well communicated, I just figured that was what it was supposed to be. They talk about "we've lost too many men today" and similar things. And main characters die, that wouldn't be very important if everyone could just get their clone to come back. This is not something I figured out just by playing through I had to think about it (and play the campaigns twice) before I came up with this theory.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 08:29 (3744 days ago) @ Xenos

I just kinda figured we all exploded and moved on.

/Action movie logic ;)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 08:37 (3744 days ago) @ Nikko B201

Hmm, what would your perfect version look like? Good question.

I picture something like the original Wing Commander, where your performance in each mission impacted the overall campaign in the sector, and IIRC dictating where you went next.

Doesn't have to be a long game either (brevity is the soul of Portal), think of it like any multiplayer game where you switch sides, only it's over the course of like 9 maps and it changes based on how you do. Could be neat. Really only considerations would be time and resources for something like that.

Which, as a sidenote, I give Respawn a lot of credit for. They clearly knew what they wanted, and focused extremely well. Anything outside that focus (which there's a lot we take for granted, like proper matchmaking) could just fuck right off (lol). I'm alright with that, because what's there is polished to an incredible sheen (think TF2 when it first came out).

Compare that to something like Mass Effect, where there clearly wasn't a long term plan, and way too much was more or less figured out on the fly. Titanfall didn't bite off more than it can chew, and I think that's worth noting and trying to emulate.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread