Story and Gaming - Titanfall Edition *spoilers* (Off-Topic)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 14:59 (3688 days ago) @ Kermit

I'll have the try that Firefly trick. That'll probably help tremendously.

RIGHT? Just don't step on Mal or Zoey, or I'll hate you forever.

Honestly, I understand why Respawn did what they did (both from a resource and business perspective), and the gameplay and graphics are so well polished it's hard to be critical. That said, I kept thinking about how awesome a REAL campaign in this universe would be, and once my mind got on that track, it was hard for me to suppress my disappointment. On the other hand, you can't program enemies to be as smart as the pilots are.

Yeah, a campaign would be cool, but it just wouldn't have the same magic as it is now. Having intelligent, creative enemies like Pilots can only work if those enemies are, well, human.

Plus, the Grunts and Spectres are just there for more creative problem solving on the part of the player. Pop a Conscription Burn Card at the start, and soak up all those Grunts you spawn with. When you hack a Spectre, it jumps to the buddies, so 4 for the price of 1 (and the same number of points for killing a Pilot in Attrition).

It's still a hell of a lot of fun, and I'll keep playing. At some point I expect that the story, such as it is, will become clearer to me.

Kermit

P.S. Let's play! You can explain the story to me.

I'm on PC. :( So here's the rundown. :D

Spoilers obviously for anyone that might care.

IMC is milking the crap out of the Frontier. The Militia hate this, so, fighting. MacAllen used to serve under Graves, and they used to run war games about how the Militia might defeat the IMC. They had a K/D of 1.0 against each other, and their best plans always ended in one place: take the key fueling stop of the Frontier, Demeter, out of play. This keeps the IMC from sending reinforcements.

MacAllen eventually decides he's sick and tired of the IMC's bullshit, Mal Reynolds this shit, and leaves the IMC with the Odyssey. Graves lets him leave because bros.

While fighting the IMC, the Militia stumble across MacAllen. MacAllen mad the IMC killed innocents, so he's gonna fuck up the IMC. He takes the plans for Demeter from the Odyssey, grabs Barker because he used to work at the Dragon Planet, then goes to the Dragon Planet to learn how Repulsor Towers work (they allow humans to keep out nasty wildlife). Once they know this, they can take out a major IMC military installation, giving them a shot at Demeter. Kill Sentinel along the way cause big ships are bad.

Basically, once the Milita grab MacAllen they go from rag tag ruffians to goddamn Rommel. Which is nice.

They attack Demeter, and MacAllen realizes the only way to destroy Demeter is to overload the system himself, commiting suicide and murdering everyone on the ground (This makes the "Who's right, and who's dead" line interesting. MacAllen is right, but dead).

Graves, because helped his bro die, joins the Militia. Spyglass (the robot) takes over for the IMC, Blisk (the South African) is a dick, and basically endless multiplayer war forever the end.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread