If the city is shielded (Destiny)

by scarab @, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 16:37 (3649 days ago) @ RC
edited by scarab, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 16:41

We know there is the looming threat of 'The Darkness' somewhere in the background that caused those gaping holes on the Traveler. But, I was under the impression the main point of Destiny was outward expansion - taking back old territories and killing alien invaders.

I wasn't thinking of focussing entirely on defending the city. I'm suggesting that we should have seen some game play where the stand against waves of enemies was guarding a breach in the wall until forces from the tower can reach the breach.

They could have shown civilians and children running to shelters and an impromptu fire team forming to defend the breach.

I understand that the Devil's Lair vid was designed to showcase real gameplay features. I just think that we could have seen an attack on the city some months ago (to establish the threat). If the game wasn't going to feature defences of the city then Bungie could have said this to the press. They could have said that the point of the city attack Vids was soley to establish the threat that the city was under.

Maybe Bungie was worried about having something in a trailer that was not actually in game.

There probably will be an arc involving a threat to The City itself but I would be kinda surprised if that occurred in the first game.

EDIT: Otherwise you get the 'Earth is under attack... again!' syndrome that Halo fell into.

Well they are probably going to go there at some point ;-)

Edit:

Maybe they could have shown the fight from the perspective of a young child hiding in cover, watching such a raid and seeing Guardians defending the city. That child could grow to be a Guardian today. I think that this would show the threat but not make a game play promise. We could be told that our Guardians will be adults and wont start as children.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread