One Tiny Thing. Well Two Actually... (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 20, 2014, 23:28 (3606 days ago)

When we get a bunch of new info I like to trek back and see if anything from previous info drops makes more sense. Overall, after having seen the Alpha, a lot of the previous battles and locations in earlier trailers make a lot more sense to me now. But there was also one tiny thing that stood out to me now that for some reason I never noticed before:

[image]

That little symbol on the right edge of the ViDoc title is, of course, one of the geomantic figure for the sun. We see it in multiple places, including above our sun in the opening of the recent New Beginnings trailer

But what's that right below the symbol for the sun? Pffff! Duh!

[image]

I love how much meaning was crammed into the first few seconds of that ViDoc. With Pathways Out Of Darkness both referring to Bungie's very old FPS "Pathways Into Darkness" and The City's fight against the Darkness in Destiny. Now we see that they may have even hidden an iconic representation of a Ghost in there long before they revealed Ghosts to us at E3 2013. Pretty cool!

One other minor thing. I was going to grab the sun's geomantic figure from the Alpha Lupi mini-arg desktop background, but found it to be upside down:

[image] [image]
(Alpha Lupi vs
New Beginnings)

That seems rather odd, except according to wikipedia:

In the same fashion how Boolean values or binary numbers can be inverted, geomantic figures can likewise be inverted. By inversion, figures whose lines are active become passive and vice versa. In this manner, Puer becomes Albus, Populus becomes Via, and so forth. Inversion represents a polarity of action, e.g. the rashness of Puer balanced by the calmness of Albus.

Huh. Sure enough, the sun is represented by both figures, but I wonder if that foreshadows anything bigger than that... or if Bungie just liked it better the new way?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread