Xbone on SDTV? help? (Gaming)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 17:09 (3599 days ago)

I'm getting an Xbone for Christmas so I can play the Halo compilation that was announced at E3, and unfortunately it only has HDMI output, and unfortunately the only TVs the console might be connected to are SD CRTs. I would just get a converter, but apparently they're expensive, and someone pointed out I'll be playing in the wrong aspect ratio. So I'm asking the A/V aficionados, what should I do? Will it be cheaper to get a converter or can I actually get a compatible TV for the same price as a good converter now? If I do this, should I just go ahead and go one better and get a box that converts a bunch of different inputs? In either case, does anyone have suggestions for make and model? I have a bunch of Amazon credit from doing surveys and doing Microsoft's Bing rewards program, so I would be buying it through there, unless there's something the same price or cheaper at a physical store near me (Target, Wal-mart, K-Mart, maybe Meijer), in case that helps anyone to help me decide.
thanks in advance

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread