Is Destiny merely a ReBoot? (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 26, 2014, 09:55 (3593 days ago)

Destiny vs. ReBoot: The other day I was considering possible influences for Destiny, and remembered ReBoot, one of my favorite childhood cartoon shows. The more I thought about it the more and more frighteningly close parallels kept popping up. Here's a bit of a rundown off the top of my head:

The Facts:

- Both the city of Mainframe and Destiny's The City are circular walled cities, surrounded by water, and protected by a large white spherical object.

[image] [image]

- What's more, in later seasons seasons Mainframe became the last safe city on the Net, as the the rest of the Net's systems, peoples, and cities are over taken by a powerful evil. The last hope for both Mainframe and The City became the white sphere in the center.

- Well, that's not actually true. Both's last hope actually came in the form of Guardians! In both ReBoot and Destiny Guardians are warriors who's job it is to mend and defend their homes.

[image] [image]

- Guardians of both have small, semiautonomous technological devices that help them accomplish their missions. Though they are shaped differently, a Keytool and a Ghost aren't all that different in function. They can help access different technology, they can help repair old equipment, and they can even save one's life.

[image] [image]

Informed Supposition:

- Given the exceedingly high number of similarities, I think we should be on the look out for two factions with competing interests each working against The City and each other. We may have already seen one of these powerful factions in the Queen of the Reef, but I'm not so sure we've seen any indication who her "brother" might be.

[image] [image]

[image] = ???

- We should be prepared to lose The City to our enemies for a time. A key resistance will likely hide out in The Traveler until we are able to return, but The City and many of its inhabitants will likely be destroyed.

- At some point, instead of merely using our Ghosts as tools we will fully combine with them and gain access to ever greater power.

- When everything looks bleakest, the power that created The Traveler and The City will step in and restore everything to like new status.

- There will be an awesome stage musical recap at the very end.

Rampant Speculation:

- Destiny's first DLC will be a fun, wide ranging romp that will see us visit several new locations, play out existing relationships, and will have a generous graphical uptick thanks to focusing on new hardware.

- It's second DLC will be a sappy, not well done romantic drama interspaced with retconing flashbacks and will end on a cliffhanger that undoes much of the work of the main storyline...

- A Destiny sequel will be announced but will never be finished.

(Yes, this is a joke. Also yes, ReBoot is awesome and you should find a way to watch it!)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread