"I am so disappointed in Bungie right now" (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, July 08, 2014, 09:14 (3586 days ago) @ yakaman

They already have the Xbox community behind them, all they need now is the Playstation fans to jump on board. To put it into a way that you may better understand, you can't build a giant (world dominating) slingshot with only half a frame.

In effect, the statement above has Bungie assuming support from those who have supported them for a long time. In a way, this can be viewed as punishing loyalty.

From a business standpoint, this is called an "established market". Yes, the company knows that the demand exists from the Xbox market. Those are the people who have bought and approved of Bungie products for over a decade. That market is a surefire win, and it's about the market, not about you specifically. That said, Bungie's not holding back on delivering a product that will be worth every penny that you spend. They won't Infinity Ward the Xbox version just because they know it'll sell.

Secondly, the hot trend right now is PS over XBox. Bungie's PS bias could be viewed as (again) abandonment of a loyal fan base.

Abandonment would be Playstation exclusivity. Offering one market a few incentives to join is not abandonment, it is enticing that new market by saying "you get this, those other guys won't!"
The exclusive content doesn't have to be more than an emblem or sticker, but the bigger it is, the more people will want it, especially if they know that other people outside of their circle aren't getting it. That's how you hook a new group of wallets, and hopefully you make loyal wallets.
Also, yeah the hot trend is PS over Xbox, and with good reason. It's a much bigger market, and it's a superior product from a developer standpoint. Those two things guarantee preferential treatment from publishers, because it's less of a risk to invest in. The Xbox has been making some strides to fix the image with the market (Now with 8% more power!), but for now, it remains the number two product (of two and 1/2 products).

Let me try to work this out...Bungie doesn't owe XBox any loyalty, but isn't there some sort of responsibility to loyal customers?

Nope. Zero. Zip. Nothing. A company makes products designed to sell. Who buys them is irrelevant. You could be their number one customer and receive zero preferential treatment. Bungie is a company. They owe you nothing, and yet, they didn't go exclusive, and they're not cutting content from your version of the game. They'll still play with you, they'll still make content and DLC for the Xbox version, but to say that you deserve to be special is pure arrogance.

I think the crux of the issue for me is this: Bungie values me, specifically, less than it does any PS owner. It's apparent in every press release they issue, in every PS-exclusive perk.

That's how you interpret it. That's not how a person who looks at it objectively sees it. As I've said before, it makes zero sense how in this age of "exclusive content" and "limited exclusivity", this one instance is the one that drives people crazy. Formerly Playstation exclusive Insomniac going Xbox exclusive? Alright yay! Xbox wins! Formerly Xbox exclusive Bungie offering some bonus content to Playstation owners? The gaming industry is corrupt, disloyal, and greedy! I'm being punished for being a loyal customer!

They can say it isn't like that, but it is exactly like that. By assuming my loyalty, by heavily penalizing me, they are, in effect saying "we'll take your money because we know you will give it to us, no matter what we do".

Again, you're taking it personally, it's clearly not like that, and anyone who honestly believes this borders on delusional.

Am I nuts? Should this not bother me? Should it bother me way less? Is there no real issue here? I am asking honestly. I am about to cut off my nose to spite my face...

No comment.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread