Congratulations, beta tester! (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 19:52 (3567 days ago) @ kapowaz

Dude, you are so negative.

Why is it so hard to empathise with the frustration of missing out on something like this?

I empathize. It was a pretty inconvenient time, I got on during the last 30 minutes and it turns out they didn't boot you from the moon if you were already there. Been exploring for a few hours.. I'm done, but I don't want to close it because I know I can't go back.

I was a little rushed so I didn't set up my capture equipment, but I'm hoping someone out there recorded the experience for those that couldn't make it.

- The Moon felt maybe half the size of Old Russia horizontally, but has a lot of vertical depth with the Hellmouth to compensate. Still, the surface felt small with little clusters of structures. Easy to overlook the tiny paths that lead to another area.

- The boundaries of the map are not as obvious as they are on Old Russia--you can look down that slope and it looks like you should be able to just boost down there on your Pike, but then you get that turn around warning. I guess it's hard since moon is just moon, there aren't a lot of features like rivers that you can use to make clear distinctions.

- The dark side of the Earth is completely black. There really is just that one city left, eh?

- I didn't encounter any unique Public Events. Got Extraction Crews, Warsat, and Eliminate the Target.

- The Hive. The last time I had this sensation was in Halo with the Truth and Reconciliation--exploring this strange alien architecture and finding it all so interesting. The Hellmouth is.. man. You get this strange architecture and bones, everywhere.. but then you find this giant chain. And then you catch it moving. What the heck is on the other end of that? The Hall of Wisdom, with this darkness moving through the ceiling, full of glowing green Hive faces. Beyond it, a closed doorway full of machinery on one side, a cavern full of strange cocoons on the other. What ARE the Hive? These guys seem absolutely evil and bizarre. There isn't one flavor to them.

I was hoping that Bungie would get their population spike and then be all, "lol, jk guys, leaving Moon available until Beta ends." Bummer you couldn't make it, I just made it myself. There's a lot there, but there will be even more to explore in the full game.

- Did anyone here NOT get lost in the Hellmouth? Took me quite a while to find my way back out, especially when my waypoints kept bringing me to locked doors.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread