Theories on the Vex (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 06:43 (3568 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I'm of a couple different minds about this, but they stem mainly from two different ideas:

The Vex logic is either 'perfect' or 'imperfect'.

If they are driven by some form of distributed AI, or distinct processes forming consensus like Mass Effect's Geth, I'd say their logic and motives are 'perfect' for lack of a better term. At least functioning as intended. Not insane.

So, with that in mind, my thought would be they have a specific purpose that's been thought all the way through, and they're just executing it. Go back in time and secure X technology, seize the Traveller, etc. Secure the originating Warmind (to dovetail with Paddy's theory). BTW, if a Warmind is their point of origin, then its name should be Hephaestus. What with him creating the first shiny metal androids in recorded literature, and all.

Alternately, their logic could have become corrupted along they way to believe in some wacky offshoot of metaphysics, or machine religion, what-have-you; hence "sacrifices". Insane robots.

My hope is that the Vex have the darkest backstory: That Humanity is doomed, and the Vex know it, because they have travelled back in time from a point where humans are merely legend. Like jumping back in time and finding Earth populated with unicorns.

The question that really gets at me, though; is not "Why?" but "Why now?"

If the Vex are really time-travellers, then are we to assume that the Traveller posesses the same power? So far it seems to me the Traveller is implied to have ultimate power, yet there doesn't seem to be any indication that time travel is part of that.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread