Why I haven't been around (and why I envy you) (DBO)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, August 04, 2014, 15:37 (3560 days ago) @ Dagoonite

yakaman: First off, I would like to apologize because I got your name confused with Gatchaman at first. Blame the meds. :) And secondly, thank you. A lot of people have come out of the woodwork with similar stories both before and after my surgery, and they keep me going when I want to gnaw off my own shoulder. Though, one question I've been meaning to ask people and my doctor but keep forgetting to: Is it normal for the pain pills to still leave you feeling the pain but simply not minding it so much?

I don't know how common it is, but Bill Engvall has a whole section of his stand-up act he does (or did) about that. Let's see... there it is.
Personally, every time I've been put on prescription pain medication (broken leg and two pulled teeth), it's worked just like aspirin.

Also, Vaugeness, don't feel bad. My stock response to someone in pain is to say I'm sorry and try and hug them. Wringing of hands and fretting uselessly is another popular one. he ever weak-sounding 'take care of yoursef' while mentally kicking myself for sounding lame is another standby of mine. :) You're not alone.

I do that or I bring up how I've had stuff like that happen before (namely what I mentioned in parentheses above), but I feel like "oh yeah I (roughly) had that too" is... I don't know, distracting, or it seems to cheapen their experience, something like that, so I don't do it so much any more.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread