Issues that could be easily fixed... [IMG] (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 04, 2014, 21:09 (3561 days ago) @ Earendil
edited by Korny, Monday, August 04, 2014, 21:26

#2 is some of the most Matrix like stuff in the game. To be looking at an open field, blink, and suddenly there are Guardians there. All my mind can think is "Oh look, players loaded the game". I'd much rather think "Oh look, Guardians are inbound to my neck of the woods"

They showed this happen in early videos. I don't know why it was removed. Maybe it was just a Beta thing...

Allow Guardians to call for help.
I don't know what the range of that help call is, or what it looks like, but maybe it varies based on players in your instance of the world. If you allow a Guardian to call for help you get a couple things:

One thing that bothered me in the Beta was that you can't mark a spot, effectively setting up a beacon. In Warframe, this is delegated to the left D-pad button. It's simple, efficient, and always available. Down on D-pad brings up a radial menu for your inventory, which would have been a great way for Bungie to delegate the gestures and dance button, instead of mapping them to the D-pad, and making the "point" only a marginally useful tool.

A) You'd only receive that backup if you felt you needed it (or wanted it). Otherwise other players would stay as clueless about public events as they currently are. Or stay as apathetic as they currently are.

Warframe has a multi-tiered chat system that lets you talk to your squad, your Clan, or any alliance that your Clan is involved with in-game:

[image]

If you find yourself alone in a game, you can call for help from any of the other two options. It would be great if Destiny had this option, and the ability to have the clan option open would help alleviate the "no raid matchmaking" issue in two ways:

1. You wouldn't have to depend on your closest friends to be online, and it would add extra value to the Clan system.
2. You are tackling the tougher challenges with people that you and/or your friends know, but that you may not know very well. This could help make or improve friendships and social circles, also adding value to the clan system.

B) When you called for help, you'd be unlikely to receive that help until you had been fighting for a bit, due to the travel time required by those that respond to the call.

While my second desire listed above is harder to pull off and not as worth pursuing, maybe it can go with my request to make it less Matrix like. Allow Guardians to drop ship in to the event. If they must come by foot or Sparrow, then perhaps allow people to respond to the call for help with an Affirmative. Those that call for help may even get a distance count down until help arrives.

Now imagine this:
You start fighting, you start losing. You're in over your head. You signal for help, and a Guardian someplace responds to the call letting you know he's on the way. You keep fighting, and then suddenly reinforcements arrive, and you watch as Guardians join the fight.

I whipped up a mock-up to give an idea of how Bungie could improve the D-pad functions to improve on each area that you've discussed. Simply clicking the D-pad in any direction could function much like it currently does, but holding it down in any direction could bring up a radial menu, so that new players could still communicate with the ease of the current system, while more advanced folks would have greater tools already at their disposal, allowing for greater communication without the need for voice chat:

[image]

POINT: Default Action: Points, D-Pad: UP

COMMAND: Default Action: Wave/Salute (if aimed at player), Wait (When not aiming at player). D-Pad: RIGHT

SOCIAL: Default Action: Dance 1 (If set as favorite). D-Pad: LEFT

REST: Default Action: Sit (Weapon holstered) D-Pad: DOWN

In order to avoid abuse, the gestures could be on an increasing cool-down, limiting the spammed use of non-essential gestures. That way people will have to think before they decide to start breaking into random point/dance-sessions.

While the PS4's swipe gestures would have been great ways to further increase the options available to the player (maybe even as another radial screen for inventory items), the inability to implement this into the other versions makes an addition like this unlikely...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a few more topics to hit but I also only intended on writing a paragraph per thought. Whoops.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Do you feel the game is lacking in the areas I described and could use some sort of game mechanic change? Or what do you think of the game mechanic change I suggest? I realize Bungie isn't likely (or at this point in dev capable) of doing much, but I like sounding off ideas about design and human interaction :)

The more I can say to people without talking to them, the better.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread