Fan Fiction (Destiny)

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, August 08, 2014, 10:50 (3568 days ago) @ Ragashingo

2. So far, at least, there are no bad stories in the DBO archive. Sure, the grammar varies a bit, but each and every story has good ideas behind it.

That's because I've actually rejected a couple of stories that were pretty horrendous, and by 'horrendous' I really mean 'completely inappropriate.' Overall, though, I've been pretty pleased with the quality of the contributions we've received so far. I'm looking forward to and hoping that we'll see an increase in fan fiction content once the game launches.

The Guardian and the Archive

I'm always happy when people enjoy my writing, so I'm chuffed this one made your Top 4. It and Godshaker are the two Destiny fan fics I've written so far that I'm most proud of.

There's currently, I think, three stories that even mention Ghosts. Nobody has really taken a stab at life during the Golden age. The dark age after the collapse and the formation of The City both are ripe for some good story telling!

To be fair, I don't think anyone really had much of an idea of the relationship of Ghosts to their Guardians until the Beta. There were some hints from the Grimoire in the Alpha that became more firm ideas in the Beta. Now that I know more about them, I intend to incorporate them more into my future stories and am even considering retconning them into my previous ones, given how integral their relationship is to the Guardians.

As far as Golden Age and origins stories are concerned, I don't feel like I know enough about the pre-Collapse era and the immediate aftermath to confidently tackle those topics. We know next to nothing about what happened, which makes anything that gets written about that period at high risk of being invalidated. With the current era of Guardians, at least, we know enough to write some stories and make some educated guesses about things. Again, I think once the game actually launches, that's going to open up a much wider scope of topics for writers to safely dip their toes into.

Beyond that, what would help you write more? Monthly writing prompts? The offer of proofreading and sanity checking? The promise of serious and timely feedback? It just seems to me that Destiny's universe is too cool of a place to leave unfilled.

For me, the biggest hindrance right now is simply time. I don't have enough of it. Between a full-time job, a farm to run, a family to raise and take care of, plus taking classes, I'm swamped. That'll change somewhat after this fall semester when I'll be done with classes (hopefully for good this time). That said, I'd really enjoy regular writing prompts -- would even be willing to contribute some -- as well as having a core group of writers willing to basically be a writing group for critiques and constructive criticism. I'd certainly be willing to provide what expertise I have in that area.

I would love to see a community of Destiny writers spring up around here. I realize there's already the Black Garden over at Bungie.net that has a sizable membership, but for several reasons I don't have any great desire to spend time there. We clearly have writers here -- the fan fiction archive attests to that -- and it's fun to talk shop. The only problem with the archive is that once stories get submitted, it seems like they get forgotten, so there's little, if any, discussion about the stories, either about the mechanics of the writing or of the plots.

So yeah, basically, if you have ideas, I for one am all ears. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread