Exos and The Darkness (Destiny)

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 20:14 (3566 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yep. I think the fact that they are playable implies a full mind of some kind in there.

That's effectively my theory, as well. We know from the Grimoire that the Awoken were once humans that were changed by whatever happened to the Traveler. We also know that Ghosts are used to find and preserve the souls of the Guardians they are bonded to. It's not a huge leap from there to surmise that the Exos were created from the souls of humans that were transferred into mechanical bodies, probably using a technology similar to what the Ghosts use to revive fallen Guardians. If that's the case, that would explain the need for gender types. We've seen nongendered bots posted in various places around the Tower -- one even serves as the Vanguard Quartermaster -- so we know there's not necessarily a need to push all mechanical beings into a specific gender. The only reason I can think of to divide Exos into distinctly male and female forms is because there's a living, thinking person inside there, one that was probably human and, possibly more importantly, one with a soul. I suspect spirituality, at least in limited terms, is going to be an important part of Destiny's lore.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread