Expiring logins (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Friday, August 15, 2014, 06:12 (3550 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

On a mobile app, expiring logins periodically is a real nuisance. Ever since Sony got hacked back in 2011 I've ensured that I use a different password for every account I have online, and so I use a password manager to store them all. For sites I log into frequently, I can use Mobile Safari's saved password feature to save it securely once I enter it the first time. Unfortunately, by embedding the browser inside the app this prevents you from using this feature, and so the user flow for logging in is a bit like this:

1. Tap ‘Sign in’ button
2. Choose PlayStation account
3. Switch to the 1Password app
4. Enter my master password
5. Search for my PlayStation login
6. Copy the password
7. Switch back to the Destiny mobile app
8. Enter my email address manually (since you can only copy and paste once thing at a time, and I'd prefer not to repeat steps 3-6 twice)
9. Paste my password
10. Watch in wonder as I'm mysteriously redirected back to the login screen again
11. Enter my credentials a second time
12. Get redirected to this page:

[image]

13. Hit cancel, then try signing in again (steps 1 and 2)
14. Enter my email address and paste my password again
15. Success!

Of all the mobile applications I use regularly which integrate with some sort of service that requires authentication, only one of them requires regular login, and it also happens to be the one I dislike the most (imgur); every other one from a major service (Twitter, Tweetbot, Snapchat, Blizzard Authenticator, WoW Armory, IRCCloud, Facebook etc. etc.) retains your login credentials from the first login until you say otherwise. Is it too much to expect that the Destiny companion app does the same?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread