Hopes aren't high... (Destiny)

by Jabberwok, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 15:41 (3545 days ago) @ Korny

Hmm, I guess if you're referring to Forge racing in later Halo games, that's probably true. But I remember having a blast rocket-racing warthogs on Blood Gulch in Halo 1. And all they had to do to make that gametype was put in waypoints on an existing vehicle map. I suppose the article is probably right that implementing a fully realized and balanced gametype on the level of a dedicated racing game would be way too much work, but I certainly wouldn't mind having the gametype in there regardless. IMO, it doesn't need to be complicated to be fun, as long as the vehices themselves are fun to drive. Witness the people who already want to race even if it's not in the game.

With no word on official racing in Destiny, some fans on the Destiny subreddit have taken it into their own hands. VG247 reported on it also. I'm interested to see how they pull it off.

Yeah, I dunno. It might be dumb for the same reasons that Race in Halo is a very stupid gametype. You have vehicles that all take two seconds to hit top speed, which isn't very punishing unless you completely blow it, causing any early lead to be permanent 90% of the time, and the vehicles don't require adjusting to physics; it's simply gun it and go. With Sparrows, the odds of blowing it are even lower, since they're not easy to flip over, and the map design (save the Moon) appears to be much more constrained and in favor of foot-based navigation. In Halo, you could at least add obstacles and traps to Race maps to mix things up. Not so much in Destiny.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread