Vex: Time Traveling Robots. (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 21:42 (3540 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 21:51

Good work. I checked the GDC 2013 presentation, where we first got substantial information on Destiny (and how! I had forgotten how much they said), because I was almost certain that was where the "time-traveling robots" quote first came from, I even thought I could hear Joe Staten saying it, but I checked every section that seemed relevant and it wasn't there or I couldn't find it, and I gave up after that because the next step would've been searching the forum and I have a tendency to while away an afternoon or evening reading old posts when I do that.
So yeah, good on you for finding the sources. I still say it's questionable, and I've thought so since that analysis was first mentioned. Describing them as "time-traveling robots" and seemingly nothing more seemed to me like an encapsulation or summary of what they wanted to get across and have these beings feel like, and the Chris Barrett Game Informer quote seems to back that up, along with what Joe Staten did say at GDC 2013, about them feeling like ancient robots and I think mentioning they were mysterious.
Edit: The wording from the Edge article says this to me too, they give a description of a few words for each race.
Well, that and what I brought up before, it has potential to mess up the plot and the significance of things, and it seems spoilery to tell us and not let us find out. That would be a cool surprise, wouldn't it, to find out they time-traveled, with no hints beforehand? Now that can't happen.
Double edit: or not...

The Citadel is Destiny at its most visually abstract. Home to the Vex – time-travelling robots from the future – it's a mess of gravity-defying geometry reaching far above the clouds

that seems specific...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread