So, the DBO clan is no more, correct? (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 11:51 (3570 days ago)

Bungie says I'm not a member of a clan. I suspect it's because DBO is now an alliance, but why did we make it one? Was it necessary?

I'm sad I can't show my loyalty like I did in the Beta.

So, the DBO clan is no more, correct?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 11:52 (3570 days ago) @ Kermit

Unless I am mistaken we can't re-enable DBO as a clan until the game officially launches.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 11:56 (3570 days ago) @ Xenos

Unless I am mistaken we can't re-enable DBO as a clan until the game officially launches.

And that's the plan, right?

I really hope so.

by Jester GS, Earth, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 11:59 (3570 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 11:59 (3570 days ago) @ Kermit

And that's the plan, right?

I actually don't know. Duncan is the founder, he should weigh in when he can.

by Oholiab @, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 12:06 (3570 days ago) @ Kermit

At the risk of sounding really out of touch...

Can someone please briefly explain the difference between clans and alliances and how each is supposed to work? How do these fit with XBL friends?

Thanks!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 12:09 (3570 days ago) @ Oholiab

At the risk of sounding really out of touch...

Can someone please briefly explain the difference between clans and alliances and how each is supposed to work? How do these fit with XBL friends?

Thanks!

Completely separate from XBL/PSN friends. A clan is a group of people on Bungie.net that play together a lot or that can help organize events or times to play together. Clans have a hard limit of how many members they can have (though I don't know the exact number), so they have alliances that can connect multiple clans together.

by Oholiab @, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 12:22 (3570 days ago) @ Xenos

Completely separate from XBL/PSN friends. A clan is a group of people on Bungie.net that play together a lot or that can help organize events or times to play together. Clans have a hard limit of how many members they can have (though I don't know the exact number), so they have alliances that can connect multiple clans together.

Got it. So will there be separate DBO clans for each console/generation under the umbrella of a DBO alliance? (Question posed with the understanding that we await our fearless leader to weigh in)

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 12:30 (3570 days ago) @ Xenos

A clan is a group of people on Bungie.net that play together a lot or that can help organize events or times to play together. Clans have a hard limit of how many members they can have (though I don't know the exact number), so they have alliances that can connect multiple clans together.

Well put. We want clans to feel like intimate fighting units. The hope is that everyone in a clan knows all of the other members. At the same time, we know that large groups with a long heritage on Bungie.net will want to unify their membership across many official clans. That's where an Alliance comes into play.

To answer the other questions being asked in this thread, the Clan system was also being tested during the Beta. Like your venerable test-subject Guardians, your Beta Clans were temporary. They reverted back to Groups when we severed their ties to the old build. As Destiny launches and you complete your first mission, your Clan Founder (whoever this 'Duncan' is) will need to reactivate Clan services on preferred platforms. Then, users can 'Set as Clan.'

Think of it as a census to see who survived the migration from Beta to Launch.

Unite the Clans!

[image]

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 12:52 (3570 days ago) @ DeeJ

That's where an Alliance comes into play.

As Destiny launches and you complete your first mission, your Clan Founder (whoever this 'Duncan' is) will need to reactivate Clan services on preferred platforms. Then, users can 'Set as Clan.'

Well that explains why I couldn't request an alliance with the DBO clan earlier. Thanks.

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 13:43 (3570 days ago) @ DaDerga

Well that explains why I couldn't request an alliance with the DBO clan earlier. Thanks.

Fixed. Try again, it should work now.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 14:26 (3570 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Just sent a request to join alliance to DBO. Can you let me know if it comes from me individually or from my clan. Thank you.

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 14:28 (3570 days ago) @ DaDerga

Just sent a request to join alliance to DBO. Can you let me know if it comes from me individually or from my clan. Thank you.

Approved! Request came from you individually.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 14:31 (3570 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Strange, I'm already a member of the DBO group. Maybe it's just me but I can't see how to request group to group alliance.

by marmot 1333 @, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 14:33 (3570 days ago) @ DaDerga

Yeah, same here. I was able to join the PS4 and the 360 clans just fine, though.

Edit: Well, it says I can "set as ps clan" or "set as xbox clan"

I'm planning on playing on both ps4 and 360 so I'll just wait on that bit for now...

Hmmm...

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 14:36 (3570 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Perhaps that functionality will kick in after playtime post–launch?

Then what?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 21:04 (3570 days ago) @ DeeJ
edited by General Vagueness, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 21:14

A clan is a group of people on Bungie.net that play together a lot or that can help organize events or times to play together. Clans have a hard limit of how many members they can have (though I don't know the exact number), so they have alliances that can connect multiple clans together.

Well put. We want clans to feel like intimate fighting units. The hope is that everyone in a clan knows all of the other members. At the same time, we know that large groups with a long heritage on Bungie.net will want to unify their membership across many official clans. That's where an Alliance comes into play.

To answer the other questions being asked in this thread, the Clan system was also being tested during the Beta. Like your venerable test-subject Guardians, your Beta Clans were temporary. They reverted back to Groups when we severed their ties to the old build. As Destiny launches and you complete your first mission, your Clan Founder (whoever this 'Duncan' is) will need to reactivate Clan services on preferred platforms. Then, users can 'Set as Clan.'

Unite the Clans!

[image]

That's cool, what can we do with clans and alliances once we're in them? perhaps be matched with them or-- hope-hope-hope-- talk to them without going through menus? I know it's kind of late but since you're here... actually since you're here, or maybe someone else can tell me, how does following work on b.net, it says I'm following people and people are following me, what does that mean in that context?

Fixed.

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 14:10 (3570 days ago) @ Kermit

Bungie says I'm not a member of a clan. I suspect it's because DBO is now an alliance, but why did we make it one? Was it necessary?

New sticky: DBO Clans are ready for launch.

FYI, upgrading DestinyBungieOrg to an alliance did not end its clan functionality.

History Time *sort of OT*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 15:02 (3570 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by INSANEdrive, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 15:52

Years and Years ago, for which I know I will become very used to saying in time (presuming one can), back when the internet was young; I was a far more innocent person in all things internet. I'm talking before modding. Before I played Halo (which is a story in its self). Before many of the events that put me on my modern day path, I enjoyed a game called MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries.

[image]

During that time of just playing around with the *shock* oddly familiar concept of customization of my multiple mech types & load outs to achieve the best result I could; With weapons like the X-Pulse Lasers, PPC, and Gauss Rifle type guns, I made the most of what the game gave me access too. I would playtest these different load-outs online and one day a teammate took note. I was recruited & joined my first and only clan. As I recall I said yes because I hoped they could help me with the customization aspect, and I had heard of the concept of a clan and wanted to give it a try. So I Did. I vaguely remember spending weekends on the new-to-me Teamspeak thing (I mean - it is 2002 after all). Frankly it was my first - *FIRST* - social experience involving the internet and games. I remember vividly when I lost my disk one of the members went and actually BOUGHT me a copy and sent it to me. Very cool. It was a pleasant learning experience. Unfortunately I couldn't say the same about the fonder and his son, who - and I at the moment I can't recall why... I don't think I ever found out actually. Well, they just stopped all contact with me. Its was the head guy first... followed -kind of- by his son. I think it had something to do with Halo. Bah! I keep saying to myself 2002 wasn't a long time ago.

[image]

Dejected and disappointed by the sudden silence and action - I swore off clans. As I recall I made a clan in Halo 2 JUST so I could stop getting clan requests. I said to myself that there was just no reason for me to even bother; I'm a lone wolf to the end. Even when I was with my former clan - I still did a bunch of lone wolf things. No one expects a Flea to be packing a PPC. Makes good distraction bait too - but that is a more team based tactic.

Even though I swore off clans all those years ago - that person of long ago is dead. Its time to learn again.

Be brave DBO, INSANE "Maxiumus" drive has joined your clan.

See you Starside.

Edit: Two Days.

Thanks!

by LordOwen, Hiroshima, Japan, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 16:42 (3570 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Can't wait. Seriously, I'm about two seconds from popping two or three Ambien to keep me in stasis for the next two days.

Enjoy your trip.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 17:51 (3570 days ago) @ LordOwen

- No text -

Fixed.

by nash, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 06:58 (3566 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

New sticky: DBO Clans are ready for launch.

FYI, upgrading DestinyBungieOrg to an alliance did not end its clan functionality.

Since member levels are low at the moment, is it better to keep everyone centralized by recommending they set DestinyBungieOrg as the clan and leaving the sub DBO on *platform* clans for later overflow?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread