:( (Destiny)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, September 07, 2014, 00:07 (3542 days ago) @ General Vagueness

It's funny, people joked about how next 343i was going to have us unlock armor colors because it seemed like the next step in the path of ridiculous unlockables, but Bungie actually does it and we're not mad, just kind of sad-- that's not something against DBO, I'm not mad either, and I can't really explain why, I would've expected to be, but I'm not.

When have you NOT been able to choose your armor color in Halo? The answer is never. If that option was suddenly locked out, it would make a lot of people very angry because it flies in the face of a system which has worked perfectly well since the beginning. See: Emblems in Halo 4.

Destiny is (no duh) a different, new, game. There's no precedent for any of the customization options. We're starting new, and the new standard is preset, precolored emblems and preset, predesignated shader colors. It's disappointing to be sure, but it's silly to be angry about it because it was never any different.

It took Halo what, four games and ten years to get all the features and customization we loved? I'm anticipating a similar trajectory with Destiny. In ten years we'll probably have all manner of new features this game doesn't, and Guardian customization will probably have exploded. Afterall, we've got armor, Sparrows, and ships. How cool would it be ten years from now to load your ship in the hangar, and GTA style start swapping out parts and painting it? Shaders are disappointing now, but I've got a good feeling they're just the gateway to something better.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread