More true than you think! (Destiny)

by Faeyrinn ⌂, Pollnivneach, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 09:49 (3523 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

In a game like this, one needs to be aware of canon and game mechanic.

To work off your examples; it is canon that gold chests can be scattered through worlds. It's treasure. Post apocalyptic worlds have treasure to be found. However, it is game mechanic that loot chests don't sync between players. Bungie's design philosophy doesn't want someone to feel cheated because someone go to a loot piece quicker, but this doesn't fully represent canon.

For my own example...

The way I see it, it is canon that a Guardian and Ghost completed the events that happened within the 'campaign' of the game. You could call them the Guardian and Ghost. Obviously, not every single Guardian has done the same exact thing. Think of the Guardian as Master Chief, a predefined main character. It is game mechanic that everyone plays the same story, even though they have a unique character. Obviously it is impossible to have a unique campaign for every player.

However I think it'd be possible to have a world changing event in a story mission. Everyone would play it, but canonically The Guardian was responsible for it.

It's a little dense, but what else can you do with this kind of game?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread