Suggestion for Story People... (Destiny)

by Earendil, Friday, September 12, 2014, 10:00 (3524 days ago) @ Postmortem

Maybe they should be accessible in game, but I don't think they should be accessible while during game play, and they certainly shouldn't only be accessible in during game play.

I realize this comparison won't jive with many, but take Marathon for example. Great story and lots of text, however the player was bound to a location within the game in order to read it. So you HAD to stop and read everything (breaks pace of game play), skip over it and never read it, or skip it and fight your way back to that terminal. Or do what a lot of people did, and wait for it to be compiled on a website and go read it there :)

Here is another way of looking at it:
Our character wakes up knowing nothing. It would be silly to expect the entire world to be explained to your character during missions. You would expect that a newly awoken guardian would get handed a set of "here's how the world is" cards in order to get a crash course. What I wish Bungie would also do though is have things like news papers or other reading material around the Tower. I'd love to go sit on the spire with a news paper :)

My personal style is to play hard, especially with friends, and then in my down time away from my console (because I'm married, I have to do that) I can read up on the story. My one gripe is that if you wanted to go read 10 cards in a row, you're going to spend almost as much time navigating between cards as you are reading them. Bungie.net is the best interface so far, but it's still tedious.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread