With the Highs, come the Lows. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, September 12, 2014, 13:46 (3524 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I think Ars said it best:

Seriously, who is Rasputin?

After beating the story and reaching the game's highest experience point level, Destiny reaches an "endgame" state in which players are expected to return and, well, replay the four planets' worth of content on offer. These sessions jack up the difficulty and dole out new types of in-game currency, which can be spent at the hub town's many shops to buy even better weapons and armor, which will be needed to take on the even tougher replay content. Keep it up, and you'll continue on a path of buying better gear for harder missions in order to get better gear for harder missions—and on and on.

Essentially, this is what we do in ALL games - more or less. The difference is that Destiny is built off of this idea. This changes things, makes us more aware that were are doing the same thing - over and over. Once we become aware of that - we become disinterested.

I ask my self - How many times did I play Left 4 Dead, even on the Hardest mode? Months and Months. I did the same thing again and again. Yea - it had "the director" so the AI wasn't always in the same place and all that - but I still was essentially doing the same thing.

Same thing for Mass Effect - though admittedly the story (which I haven't completed yet for Destiny) was far better. That's another post for another time.

At risk of perceived chest thumping; I find what I said in my beta review (in the "Enemy’s that won’t die" section) is ringing true. The elements are there, but the mix isn't right yet.

I look forward to seeing what Bungie will do - their response will mean more then what they made.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread