In one sentence: Everything is amazing and nobody's happy. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, September 15, 2014, 10:21 (3508 days ago) @ Kermit

I have yet to finish reading the review, and I have yet to finish the full campaign, but I've had such a blast the entire time that I'll get around to it whenever I do.

We've been given the keys to Disneyland and I see so many fewer people than I expected wandering around agog at everything. The gameplay experience itself is gorgeous and butter-smooth. Sure, connection issues happen at times, but that's a slim fraction of the time. Maybe one PvP match I've played was severely affected by lag.

There's a long ladder to climb with regard to loot, and that's just fine by me. I plan on being around for a while.

I think everyone can agree that there are some issues with the chosen method of lore delivery. Going to the Grimoire for so much of the content does bug me, but only slightly. What I can't for the life of me figure out is why everyone is confused as to who Rasputin is. Sure, I hope that we'll see more of him in the future, he's certainly a character ripe for all kinds of development, but did nobody listen to the dialog? Did it not impress upon anyone the grand moment that the array opened and Rasputin began to reach out to the other human worlds?

It seems there are a whole bunch of places where people are confused or upset by design choices, but I just don't see it. I feel that at the very least, the intent comes across, even if in execution there are places where it could be better.

I think the bar has been raised yet again, and everyone is just jaded. There's been so much bar-raising within the industry that if people's brains aren't perpetually blown out their ears, they decide they can't be happy. A wide, wide net has been cast. They've delivered on everything they've promised so far. People want to club them for "being deceptive", but I think PR-wise (and gameplay-wise), they've done a masterful job.

There are definitely blemishes here and there, and I'm confident the long view of "we'll see how things develop" will see those things set right.

But I've gotten everything I wanted and expected so far, plus some. And there's more yet to come.

I just don't understand why so much of what I'm hearing is less than positive.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread