Pretty good, but... (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 19:10 (3524 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I will never understand the lure of the loot cave. It's RNG. Whether you play for 20 minutes or 20 hours, the probability of an engram decrypting legendary is the same. You might as well play something fun and get guaranteed rewards that will eventually get you the gear you want.

The difference is that the kill rate is about 60 enemies per minute. That means the drop rate is much higher. In the span of about 15 minutes as a level 22 I usually nab about 10-12 greens and 2-3 blues. A LOT more loot than I get anywhere else. Way I see it, it at least lets me farm lesser weapon parts.

So what?

He's saying the number of legendary engrams you get a week (or day, or hour) doesn't impact the individual chance of any particular engram turning out to be legendary. Your method won't necessarily get you more legendary gear, it gets you the same amount over a shorter period of time. So you're actively trying to spend less time playing the game, and are voluntarily choosing to make that play time consist of boring activities.

By playing the way he wants to play, and accepting the loot as it comes, he's enjoying himself more than those who set an arbitrary goal of min/maxing their progress through the game, and deciding to do unfun things because it unintentionally creates a higher drop rate and enables faster advancement.

I've been deliberately limiting my progress in the game so it isn't over too soon, because to me the sad part of any new Bungie game is when it's over. This is the first one in a long time that doesn't necessarily have to be "over" for 3-4 years, but that doesn't mean I'm going to rush through it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread