There are stories… (Destiny)

by Earendil, Friday, September 26, 2014, 15:17 (3505 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not that I would want iconography to get in the way of a good story, but... They would have to have come up with a new iconography, something that is the image of what we are about, what we try and protect, what our goal in the universe is. The image of the Traveler over the city is an amazing and memorable image, and to twist that into a panoptic structure would destroy any iconography that was built. That is not to say that iconography is about advertisement, it is used there, but it's also powerful for story telling. Having a simple icon that reminds you of a people, a building, or an event is a powerful thing. Think of the Swastica, the Rod of Acslepius, or the Cross. These are symbols that bring about stories, emotions, feeling of good, evil, and conflict.

That said, they can make the Traveler "Not the good guy" without making him "The bad guy". Just pull a Babylon 5 style philosophical conclusion. I've actually been thinking that Applying that sort of conclusion to the Destiny Universe would be amazing, and doesn't conflict with anything we know about Destiny yet.

Edit: For example, the Halo Ring was awesome iconagraphy that was neither good nor evil, but extremely dangerous. Looking at it now brings up a lot of the Halo universe plot points, and motivations and philosophies about different races. That's beautiful, and could be done with the Traveler without (I would guess) Activision caring one bit.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread