HUGE missing feature to improve socialization... (Destiny)

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 13:30 (3517 days ago)

Of all the things that would improve Destiny, this one occupies the top of my list...
For a game that claims to be very focused on getting players to interact and socialize more, I'm amazed that this wasn't implemented from the beginning (and I hope it can be implemented in future expansions, rather than future sequels).

Every time I go to a location in Destiny, I can feel confident knowing that that space will always be occupied to one degree or another, the Tower especially so. Yet every time, I always encounter totally random individuals. There's no consistency in the Guardians I meet and fight/dance with. Realistically, if a Guardian were really visiting these same locations consistently, they would start to see some faces repeatedly, get familiar with them, even become friends. Yet the game hasn't once given me that feeling. I haven't once had the slightest interest in further interactions with the random Guardians I see each time in the Tower. We wave, they dance awkwardly close to me, and then I move on, trying to get back to my solo journeys. This is a problem, because it's actually encouraging me to be antisocial rather than social. And there's a very easy, (supposedly) very simple fix for this.

We already have a built in group of friends that we know we wouldn't mind playing with on a regular basis. Wouldn't it be so much cooler if the game prioritized players on your friends list that were in the same location as you, making sure you're fighting alongside familiar faces, rather than totally random and weird characters? I'd much rather go back to the Tower, find TDSpiral talking with the Shipwright, get into a voice chat with him and agree to help him with whatever tasks he was tackling for the day, maybe encountering Paddy or Mig out in the wild and joining up with them. There'd still be random people around us and in the wild, but we'd just be assured some familiar faces without having to go to the effort of inviting them, keeping the game more comfortable/casual and making it easier to socialize.

I'm not alone in thinking this would be great, right? I think it would drastically improve the social aspects of this game, which so far has been a pretty solo experience for me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread