Playing with others on Xbox One (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 06:16 (3516 days ago)

I haven’t tested this out completely (and I can’t at the moment) so much of it will be from memory. I find the intersection between the in-game interface and Xbox One interface lacking when it comes to joining people and talking with people.

I may be conflating some of what I see on the PS4 or the 360, but it seems that sometimes there’s a Destiny Join Fireteam option, sometimes there’s a Invite to Fireteam, and often there is neither. The little "Joinable" icon on player's emblems doesn't always seem to be an accurate predictor of the state of things. I could chalk that up to individuals’ set preferences or the kind of activity they’re in or whether they have room in their team, but I discovered that you can bypass the Destiny interface, choose View Gamer Profile (or whatever it’s called), and actually join them using the Xbox interface options. Last night, however, this stopped working for me.

It all may be a quirky thing related to who I tried to join, but I’ll say it’s not the smooth experience I’d like. Also, about inviting randoms, I did it several times during the beta and it seemed to work fine, however, now I'm rarely successful, and after getting a few invites, I can see why. If you don’t respond the second you get the invite (by talking to Kinect or I assume by pressing the white X), then you don’t join and poking around the options, I can’t find an invitation in my messages like you would get on the 360.

Don’t even get me started on Party chat, snap, and all that business. (I'm slowly "getting" it, but it's frustrating, too.)

Kermit

P.S. if you see me on the next few nights, please help me with the Queen's missions! I'd like to be able to play the raid on Saturday!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread