Mobile Phone OS support in Destiny

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 09:59 (4039 days ago) @ SPQR Praetor

Was there a lag time between the two

Yep. Looks like Bungie.net mobile hit iOS in June of 2011 and Android in October of 2011. Not a terrible delay, but it was on iOS first.

or do they simply prefer to use iOS for demos?

Maybe. Perhaps they think it's more recognizable to most users. It might also be that the iOS version just happens to be a bit more polished at this stage of development. It's generally acknowledged by mobile devs that iOS is easier to develop for, simply because there's a comparatively small variety of hardware configurations to account for. So it's not hard to believe that version might be further ahead.

Are iOS and Android the only systems they support?

I just did some searching and I don't see a version of the Bungie.net app for Windows Phone which is the next biggest platform, so probably yes. Still, they might release a Windows phone version of the Destiny app - who knows? As someone else said, they could probably develop a mobile-friendly website although I doubt that could have the sort of push notifications we've seen in videos (but it might be possible to send SMS notifications with a link to the site).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread