Pretty good, maybe even super good advice (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 14, 2014, 11:54 (3501 days ago)

We already know most of this stuff.

Ignore Rahool. Um, yeah.

I don't agree with this article. Don't completely ignore him

by kornman00, Friday, November 14, 2014, 12:30 (3501 days ago) @ Kermit

For weapons, he'll give you weapons from Vendors with (more than likely) different tech-tree rolls. Some of those weapons aren't even sold. Eg, I got a New Monarchy sniper rifle from a Special engram (the character this happened on is my "Dead Orbit" character too). So you don't even need to rely on faction rep level-up packages for a chance at such gear.

For armor, you'll get pieces with different stat modifier rolls. Eg, you could get a Crucible chest that has +Intellect and +Strength, where what is sold has +Discipline and +Strength (or a lower baseline stat modifier).

Raid gear, as far as weapons go, are not rings-to-rule-them-all. They may be pretty great gear, but they're not going to solve every problem you'll face in the game. So I really don't agree with the "the legendary gear you get from engrams is worse than the legendary gear you get from the raid".

In fact, I only recently (last week or so) started buying weapons using my Marks. Before, I was getting my legendaries from dropped engrams and the Nightfall reward. I always needed more Shards than Energy (because I don't fully level up gear which I strictly use in PvP) so I ended up using 65 Marks on armor to dismantle them. And with the talk about the new re-roll-weapons (it applies to ALL weapons right? not just Iron Banner weapons?) coming in the update, I stopped dismantling most legendary weapons in the event that I can get a better roll on them.

Also, save your Rare engrams for new/low level characters. Decrypt the engrams on that character's Cryptarch and you should get some Rare gear that is of the same level, or maybe a tad higher, than your character's level.

So yeah, don't completely ignore him.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 14, 2014, 12:53 (3501 days ago) @ kornman00

For weapons, he'll give you weapons from Vendors with (more than likely) different tech-tree rolls. Some of those weapons aren't even sold. Eg, I got a New Monarchy sniper rifle from a Special engram (the character this happened on is my "Dead Orbit" character too). So you don't even need to rely on faction rep level-up packages for a chance at such gear.

For armor, you'll get pieces with different stat modifier rolls. Eg, you could get a Crucible chest that has +Intellect and +Strength, where what is sold has +Discipline and +Strength (or a lower baseline stat modifier).

Raid gear, as far as weapons go, are not rings-to-rule-them-all. They may be pretty great gear, but they're not going to solve every problem you'll face in the game. So I really don't agree with the "the legendary gear you get from engrams is worse than the legendary gear you get from the raid".

In fact, I only recently (last week or so) started buying weapons using my Marks. Before, I was getting my legendaries from dropped engrams and the Nightfall reward. I always needed more Shards than Energy (because I don't fully level up gear which I strictly use in PvP) so I ended up using 65 Marks on armor to dismantle them. And with the talk about the new re-roll-weapons (it applies to ALL weapons right? not just Iron Banner weapons?) coming in the update, I stopped dismantling most legendary weapons in the event that I can get a better roll on them.

Also, save your Rare engrams for new/low level characters. Decrypt the engrams on that character's Cryptarch and you should get some Rare gear that is of the same level, or maybe a tad higher, than your character's level.

I don't know that I follow all you say, but I definitely don't understand why you would do this last bit. Wouldn't you want your high level characters to decrypt rare items, if that's how it works?

And I read their advice to ignore Rahool as don't depend on the loot stream. I don't, and during the few times when I have been hoping for something (like when I needed one more coin or something), it was very frustrating.

Depending on random miracles (or expecting them) seems like an exercise in frustration.

To clarify ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 14, 2014, 12:56 (3501 days ago) @ Kermit

It's impossible to ignore the Cryptarch. You have no control over that aspect of the game, though, so it probably is better to focus instead on what you can control.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, November 14, 2014, 16:05 (3501 days ago) @ Kermit

I actually did this when I started my Warlock character. It was kind of cool having all blue gear from level 10 on. It made power leveling that character go really quickly.

-Disciple

Kermit, this was what I was talking about ^

by kornman00, Friday, November 14, 2014, 20:01 (3501 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

If you have a character that won't be level 20 anytime soon (thus can't make use of legendary gear), decrypt your rare engrams on that character to have better gear while you're trying level up (eg, playing story missions on their non-light "Hard" levels). low level rare armor will totally blow that green crap out of the park

Kermit, this was what I was talking about ^

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, November 15, 2014, 00:41 (3501 days ago) @ kornman00

Right. And on the off chance that it does decrypt to a legendary, you still haven't lost anything because it's impossible for a legendary to be below level 20 (meaning you won't have accidentally relegated it to being level 10 or something). Just move that legendary back to your level 20 character.

Don't ignore him, just don't expect anything from him

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, November 14, 2014, 12:54 (3501 days ago) @ kornman00

So yeah, don't completely ignore him.

I don't even understand what he means by ignore him. Just discard your engrams? He should have stated as "Don't expect to get legendaries from engrams, and shard ones that don't fit your playstyle."

Couldn't agree more

by Monochron, Friday, November 14, 2014, 13:12 (3501 days ago) @ kornman00

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread