Sprinting (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 09:30 (3449 days ago) @ RC

Control schemes with sprint NOT on left stick click
Really I'd like to try anything else.

It feels awkward to push the left stick forward and then try to click it in to sprint. Two simultaneous actions on the same digit, that the stick doesn't feel designed to do; the contact surface area is much less when pushed forward. Unless you guys have giant hands or some voodoo way of holding the Dualshock 4. Consequently, it can get uncomfortable to do this frequently. Which I do. Because speed.

I had a little think this last weekend and I'd like to try this modification to default PS4 controls:

• L3: Crouch (and keep toggle crouch)
  • R3: Sprint
  • B: Inspect player

Or simply swap the sticks:

• L3: Inspect player
  • R3: Sprint

My bro-in-law was playing the trial with me (in the full game) and this was one of his complaints. I explained to him that he didn't have to HOLD DOWN the thumbstick to sprint, just click it once & keep it forward. This was much better for him, but still quite awkward, and I agree! He had the suggestion of making sprint the default (which I would welcome in the tower). I have concerns about sprint being always on though. But I really like your idea of swapping crouch & sprint.

Regarding swapping the sticks? I use greenthumb so inspect is on my right bumper (I think the default arrangement is better than greenthumb, it's just hard to break old habits). I'd be fine if the 'swapped sticks' on greenthumb didn't actually swap my sticks, but instead put sprint on the right bumper, I would be very fine with that.

(Edit: trimed my quoting)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread