This is where an engineer says "Challenge accepted." (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, December 01, 2014, 11:48 (3443 days ago) @ Quirel

One that doesn't bloat up and atrophy in zero-G.

Yeah, I was having an interesting conversation about this with a friend who likes Sci-Fi but has only really played sci-fi games and watched sci-fi movies. I made him read a couple sci-fi books and he brought up the question "I understand why games and movies have artificial gravity all the time, since it must be much easier to deal with, but why books? They can do whatever they want, why have artificial gravity in almost every single book." We talked about it for awhile and I was mostly making the arguments that coming up with artificial gravity wouldn't just be for comfort, it would be to make travel outside of our solar system (and even somewhat inside our solar system) MUCH more feasible. You can read the stories of astronauts where they literally couldn't walk and were sick for long periods of time after being in space because their bodies have to readjust to being on Earth. Imagine what that would be like after a 13+ year journey to a hopefully habitable planet.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread