I'm tired (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 23:37 (3543 days ago)

I'm tired of playing the same stuff over and over.

I'm tired of just killing stuff in crucible rather than objective gametypes.

I'm tired of acquisition by random numbers.

I'm just really tired of Destiny right now. FYI for the PS4 crew, I don't think I will be back on until Crota's Hard mode hits.

I had to be reminded to play the game.

by petetheduck, Friday, January 09, 2015, 07:09 (3543 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm just really tired of Destiny right now. FYI for the PS4 crew, I don't think I will be back on until Crota's Hard mode hits.

I think RNG has gotten the better of me, with my extra Warlock and narrow focus on potentially high-reward activities like Nightfalls and Raid bosses. This past week I've been playing with a buddy that shoots all the things.

Nightfall Strike? Shoot all the things.
Daily story mission? Shoot all the things.

I started shooting all the things too. It was actually more satisfying than running ahead. I do think I need to follow through and get rid of my extra Warlock. Fewer characters, actually doing the activities I elect to do.

I only play the game

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, January 09, 2015, 07:21 (3543 days ago) @ petetheduck

I think RNG has gotten the better of me, with my extra Warlock and narrow focus on potentially high-reward activities like Nightfalls and Raid bosses. This past week I've been playing with a buddy that shoots all the things.

I started shooting all the things too. It was actually more satisfying than running ahead. I do think I need to follow through and get rid of my extra Warlock. Fewer characters, actually doing the activities I elect to do.

I just refuse to do anything for the grind of it. I have a Lvl 5 Hunter I'm saving to play with my dad, a Level 21 Titan, and a Lvl 29 Warlock. I get on when my mates are on and play whatever activity they're doing and we schedule raids together. I always have fun when I'm playing and pay little attention to trying to get loot or anything, it just comes to me. Then again I don't have half the exotics you all have, nor care that much.

I only play the game

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, January 09, 2015, 09:37 (3542 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I just refuse to do anything for the grind of it. I have a Lvl 5 Hunter I'm saving to play with my dad, a Level 21 Titan, and a Lvl 29 Warlock. I get on when my mates are on and play whatever activity they're doing and we schedule raids together. I always have fun when I'm playing and pay little attention to trying to get loot or anything, it just comes to me. Then again I don't have half the exotics you all have, nor care that much.

Yeah, I do this too. Sometimes I'll just hop on to play some matchmaking, but I don't really try to get all the gear. I just play and get excited with what gear I do get.

I "found" Dragons Breath after a crucible match, I was ecstatic. For me getting the gear via that process was infinitely more fun than grinding for strange coins to buy it from Xur. But that's just my play-style.

Me too!

by digital_ronin, Friday, January 09, 2015, 12:10 (3542 days ago) @ petetheduck

This is exactly the same for me! Having two 31 warlocks and a 30 titan grinding away in the off chance to get better gear really started to wear me out. I enjoy the game, but I was letting the game dictate what I was supposed to be doing (daily, bounties, rise and repeat; except on Tuesdays, then knock out the weeklies) rather than doing what I wanted. Everything became an exercise in speed running because I knew I had two do it two more times with my other characters. And then maybe I'd do something I wanted. Only by then, it was time to quit for the night or I was tired of playing Destiny.

But not anymore. I was considering deleting some characters and you helped me make up my mind. My second warlock and my titan are getting deleted this weekend. My remaining warlock will focus on goals I want to achieve and things I want to do: the raid, getting Eris rep to level 4, and playing crucible when I feel like it and running bounties when I feel like doing those. Goodness knows, he has two warlocks' work of gear to do whatever he wants.

I'll probably start another character, because I enjoyed going from level 1 to 20 and seeing the wide variety of gear, exploring a world that can still be dangerous, and being oblivious to the grind. But I'll take my time. Maybe I'll just do one story mission a day.

Me too!

by petetheduck, Friday, January 09, 2015, 12:54 (3542 days ago) @ digital_ronin

This is exactly the same for me! Having two 31 warlocks and a 30 titan grinding away in the off chance to get better gear really started to wear me out. I enjoy the game, but I was letting the game dictate what I was supposed to be doing (daily, bounties, rise and repeat; except on Tuesdays, then knock out the weeklies) rather than doing what I wanted. Everything became an exercise in speed running because I knew I had two do it two more times with my other characters. And then maybe I'd do something I wanted. Only by then, it was time to quit for the night or I was tired of playing Destiny.

But not anymore. I was considering deleting some characters and you helped me make up my mind. My second warlock and my titan are getting deleted this weekend. My remaining warlock will focus on goals I want to achieve and things I want to do: the raid, getting Eris rep to level 4, and playing crucible when I feel like it and running bounties when I feel like doing those. Goodness knows, he has two warlocks' work of gear to do whatever he wants.

I'll probably start another character, because I enjoyed going from level 1 to 20 and seeing the wide variety of gear, exploring a world that can still be dangerous, and being oblivious to the grind. But I'll take my time. Maybe I'll just do one story mission a day.

I like my Titan. Not as much as my Warlock, but enough to keep him around--the Ward of Dawn and Saint-14 helmet are a lovely tool and it's fun to mix things up a bit. Two characters feels manageable for me.

by Avateur @, Friday, January 09, 2015, 15:02 (3542 days ago) @ petetheduck

I been telling you this for months dude! Also, I had no idea you weren't shooting all the things. I don't get sick of Destiny because I refuse to run a second character and because I don't let anything live. I gotta give myself more to do than just run through Bungie's whack and time-disrespecting grind, or I'd go crazy (especially since they made getting Radiant materials practically impossible without doing a weekly Raid compared to other forms of materials).

Only ever shoot all the things! Crucible? Shoot all the things. Literally. Running around and somehow not running into anyone? Shoot the wall. See some pretty water graphics? Shoot it and see what happens. Your fireteam buddy? Shoot 'em.

Gorgon? Eh... ah, what the hell. Just shoot it.

:D

by petetheduck, Saturday, January 10, 2015, 07:14 (3542 days ago) @ Avateur

I been telling you this for months dude! Also, I had no idea you weren't shooting all the things. I don't get sick of Destiny because I refuse to run a second character and because I don't let anything live. I gotta give myself more to do than just run through Bungie's whack and time-disrespecting grind, or I'd go crazy (especially since they made getting Radiant materials practically impossible without doing a weekly Raid compared to other forms of materials).

You must not do any of the Strike playlists :P. The status quo is for everyone to run past any encounter that doesn't have to be completed. It's all about finishing the activity as soon as possible.

Only ever shoot all the things! Crucible? Shoot all the things. Literally. Running around and somehow not running into anyone? Shoot the wall. See some pretty water graphics? Shoot it and see what happens. Your fireteam buddy? Shoot 'em.

:D

The deed was done this morning.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, January 11, 2015, 10:25 (3540 days ago) @ petetheduck

You must not do any of the Strike playlists :P. The status quo is for everyone to run past any encounter that doesn't have to be completed. It's all about finishing the activity as soon as possible.

Sigh this makes me so sad. I'm happy to kill all the things, and then delay their progress anyway. :P

EAT EVERYTHING ON YOUR PLATE, SOLDIER.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Sunday, January 11, 2015, 11:07 (3540 days ago) @ Avateur

I read this in Rucks' voice from Bastion. It made me giggle harder than I have any right to.

I'm tired

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, January 09, 2015, 07:16 (3543 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm curious about what games you've been playing on the side with Destiny?

I'm tired

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 09, 2015, 08:04 (3543 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'm curious about what games you've been playing on the side with Destiny?

Right now I'm going through the Erica Reed Episodes.

Cool any Kentucky Route Zero?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, January 09, 2015, 09:10 (3542 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Cool any Kentucky Route Zero?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 09, 2015, 09:11 (3542 days ago) @ kidtsunami

No. I tried it and it was indie garbage. Bad graphics, no voice acting or any skillful form of presentation, and easy puzzles. Never finished episode 1.

haha ok

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, January 09, 2015, 09:18 (3542 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Isn't it great that there are other things to do in life?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 09, 2015, 09:16 (3542 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 09, 2015, 09:17 (3542 days ago) @ Kermit

Yes. And once you do them you realize how much of your time Destiny wasted. I am not optimistic it will get better either. Only a complete overhaul of the game can save it.

I think we should see other people...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 09, 2015, 10:13 (3542 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just throwing this out there... But is there any game ever that stays fresh and exciting after playing 500 hours in just 4 months? Not to say that Destiny is perfect (it's not) or that your complaints aren't valid (I agree with almost all of them), but isn't it completely fair to think that any game will begin to wear thin after so much playtime?

Much like Pete's suggestion, I've found that changing my approach to the game has helped breath new life in to it several times. Every time my focus starts to become gear-centric: getting all the weapons, upgrading them all, getting the specific raid gear I need to hit 32 ASAP, etc, I start to burn out/get frustrated. Sometimes taking a break gives us the time to realize what parts of the game we truly enjoy, and what parts we're perhaps chasing at the expense of our own enjoyment.}

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 09, 2015, 10:21 (3542 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

To answer your first question, no. The rest is well said. For instance, I just got my hunter to the point where I can have fun with Bladedancer, and boy is it fun! Gunslinger might be next.

I'm getting comfortable as a Void Warlock.

I haven't even played as a Titan yet.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 09, 2015, 10:46 (3542 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, January 09, 2015, 10:55

but isn't it completely fair to think that any game will begin to wear thin after so much playtime?

Completely fair. However, the fact that there has even BEEN this much playtime is what's troubling to me.

Much like Pete's suggestion, I've found that changing my approach to the game has helped breath new life in to it several times. Every time my focus starts to become gear-centric: getting all the weapons, upgrading them all, getting the specific raid gear I need to hit 32 ASAP, etc, I start to burn out/get frustrated. Sometimes taking a break gives us the time to realize what parts of the game we truly enjoy, and what parts we're perhaps chasing at the expense of our own enjoyment.}

This is kind of what I don't get though. At this point, that's all there is. The minute you finish the raid once, the minute you do all the story missions, is when the game becomes about getting the gear, and upgrading it. Like, we just did Crota last night without a single wipe. How much better can we get? (besides NOBODY dying :-p) I enjoy getting better, but I think the Vault of Glass was simply much harder to get better at, and thus I got more milage out of it.

I think I will probably log in today just to trade in my Hard Light to Xur, but then probably wait until we get a hard mode to continue. I realize that maybe you guys want to do stuff, so if you absolutely can't find anybody else to do raids with until then, I can fill in as backup. Speedracer has my #.

(One thing I WOULD like to try is a no wipe VoG hard, in which we do the oracles from below).

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 09, 2015, 11:22 (3542 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is kind of what I don't get though. At this point, that's all there is.

I think this is where each individual person is going to have very different feelings. You're totally right that getting new gear is "all there is" in terms of concrete goals. Concrete goals are certainly important, but for some more than others.

When I look back over the past 4 months of playing Destiny (3 solid months of playing with you guys on a regular basis), very few of my favorite memories are at all connected to unlocking gear or reaching a new rank. I think of the first time I nailed the Legions with a Nova Bomb from my sniper perch. I think of turning around to see the Sword Barer right on top of me, about to cut me down, only to have Cyber save my life with a last second sniper round through his face. I think of the chest pains I was having the first time we got through the Gorgon cave without wiping. And of course, I think about the cheers from our entire group the split second Atheon melted and we knew we'd just pulled off something amazing.

For me, the stories and memories that come out of Destiny (the raids in particular) are what keep me coming back, at least for now. I also acknowledge that I haven't spent nearly as much time with the game as you have, so it's reasonable to assume that I'm further from burning out on it. Perhaps a month from now I will run the Archive mission 1 time too many and I'll be back here saying the exact same things you are saying now :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 09, 2015, 11:26 (3542 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is kind of what I don't get though. At this point, that's all there is.

I think this is where each individual person is going to have very different feelings. You're totally right that getting new gear is "all there is" in terms of concrete goals. Concrete goals are certainly important, but for some more than others.

When I look back over the past 4 months of playing Destiny (3 solid months of playing with you guys on a regular basis), very few of my favorite memories are at all connected to unlocking gear or reaching a new rank. I think of the first time I nailed the Legions with a Nova Bomb from my sniper perch. I think of turning around to see the Sword Barer right on top of me, about to cut me down, only to have Cyber save my life with a last second sniper round through his face. I think of the chest pains I was having the first time we got through the Gorgon cave without wiping. And of course, I think about the cheers from our entire group the split second Atheon melted and we knew we'd just pulled off something amazing.

For me, the stories and memories that come out of Destiny (the raids in particular) are what keep me coming back, at least for now. I also acknowledge that I haven't spent nearly as much time with the game as you have, so it's reasonable to assume that I'm further from burning out on it. Perhaps a month from now I will run the Archive mission 1 time too many and I'll be back here saying the exact same things you are saying now :)

Oh no I agree, all that stuff is by far what has KEPT me playing this long to begin with… I'd have given up week 2 if it weren't for playing with friends.

by snakegriffin ⌂, MD, Friday, January 09, 2015, 17:49 (3542 days ago) @ Kermit

This. That's almost 25% of a standard american work year. Totally useless statistic, but time is not something you get back. If it ain't fun, or enriching your life, don't do it. Personal choice and all, but I tend to take the pragmatic route.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 11, 2015, 11:14 (3540 days ago) @ snakegriffin

This. That's almost 25% of a standard american work year. Totally useless statistic, but time is not something you get back. If it ain't fun, or enriching your life, don't do it. Personal choice and all, but I tend to take the pragmatic route.

Right, but this isn't how it should go out.

For instance: On finishing the Last of Us I thought "Wow! What an amazing journey, great ending, and wonderful characters. This game was incredible. I finally beat it on survivor, and it felt good. What a wonderful experience". Then I put it down and haven't played since. It leaves you on a high note.

Destiny? It's constant disappointment and burnout. Even finishing the story mode the first time I was filled with not a sense of satisfaction, but a sense of disappointment. On reaching level 20 and being told that was the start of the game, Ifind out that's a lie. Level 20 means the game is over, and it's just gear grinding. Even more disappointment. Rather than be inspired to play more, I nearly quit because grinding for the raid is so bad. And here I am now, just watching Destiny fizzle out. You want to leave the player satisfied or wanting more, not feeling like they've had enough of your bullshit.

Destiny is the exact opposite of how a great game should leave you. Designing a game to never end is a bad idea. MMOs are terrible genres. I may have more hours with Destiny, but games like Wolfenstein New Order and Last of Us were simply better games.

Same thing is happening to Halo: it's like watching it just crawl along weaker and weaker until eventually it'll just run out of strength and die. It should just have crossed the finish line and went out on top.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 12, 2015, 05:33 (3540 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Monday, January 12, 2015, 05:44

The Last of Us is probably my favorite game, but it has the crappiest co-op ever (read: none). Destiny could improve for sure, but I can appreciate its strengths, and not insist that it measure up to every other game that is fundamentally different.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 12, 2015, 08:59 (3539 days ago) @ Kermit

The Last of Us is probably my favorite game, but it has the crappiest co-op ever (read: none). Destiny could improve for sure, but I can appreciate its strengths, and not insist that it measure up to every other game that is fundamentally different.

I insist that Destiny measure up to basic tenets of fun. In many cases it simply does not.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 12, 2015, 09:57 (3539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I insist that Destiny measure up to basic tenets of fun. In many cases it simply does not.

You don't find many of the activities fun. I think we all know that. I can relate. Crucible isn't my favorite, therefore, I play it only when I really feel like it. Other activities in Destiny have provided some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game. We have choices. My question is, how many times and how many ways are you going to tell us that Destiny is fundamentally flawed game? I think we got it. That's what you believe. Message received. MMOs suck as genre. Check.

Here's a newsflash: The game isn't going to fundamentally change. I think they can make things a lot better from a narrative perspective, but it's going to be about getting new stuff with which you can kill enemies. We both want it to be about more, but even if it becomes more, the core will still be the same. And I guess you've got ~10 years to remind us of its crappy core.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 12, 2015, 10:31 (3539 days ago) @ Kermit

Here's a newsflash: The game isn't going to fundamentally change. And I guess you've got ~10 years to remind us of its crappy core.

And THAT'S the shame. They have committed to a ten year plan, where our characters and all that move from game to game, all before the first release. With a normal sequel, you can shun what doesn't work and fix your shit, but not with Destiny. It feels like Bungie is already committed, which sucks because they committed even before they knew it was good.

Hell, they committed when I KNEW it was bad. And If I could tell, without having played a second of the game, then surely someone at Bungie thought "Gee, making your level progression depend on RNG is not such a good idea. Gee, making people play the same shit over and over isn't such a good idea. Gee, maybe just having slayer gametypes is not such a good idea. Gee, maybe making people re-level their exotics is not such a good idea. Gee, maybe our story is shit. Gee, maybe we are wasting tons of money and talented voice actors by making them NPCs nobody listens to and not actual characters."

"Gee, maybe despite that we should still commit to ten years of this anyway". Fuck that. Each sequel needs to be a clean break to fix what doesn't work. MMO Destiny doesn't work. RPG Destiny would be fantastic. I can only imagine the feeling of having this wonderful story you had planned turn out like shit, but then be unable to fix that because you signed a ten year deal and every game has to be the same.

Bungie has made some bad decisions, and I want them to feel bad. Despite your wonderful artists, musicians, programers, and great game feel, Destiny fucking sucks. It fucking sucks because you didn't do the most basic work of not including bullshit in your game. You don't have my respect as developers anymore because you don't respect the player or their time. In fact it's WORSE because there's so much good in there, but you didn't bring that out properly.

Why does every game have to be the same?

by scarab @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 12:55 (3539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Why does every game have to be the same?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 12, 2015, 13:14 (3539 days ago) @ scarab

When did I ever argue that?

Right here:

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, January 12, 2015, 13:28 (3539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I can only imagine the feeling of having this wonderful story you had planned turn out like shit, but then be unable to fix that because you signed a ten year deal and every game has to be the same.

Right here:

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:17 (3539 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I can only imagine the feeling of having this wonderful story you had planned turn out like shit, but then be unable to fix that because you signed a ten year deal and every game has to be the same.

Oh. It has to be the same because the DLC has to hook in, and because your characters and items have been confirmed to carry over from Destiny to Destiny 2. It has to remain the same basic type of game to continue the business model.

Right here:

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, January 12, 2015, 20:09 (3539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Oh. It has to be the same because the DLC has to hook in, and because your characters and items have been confirmed to carry over from Destiny to Destiny 2. It has to remain the same basic type of game to continue the business model.

I don't understand. Why, exactly, can't characters and gear transfer over to a game without an investment system? Or more realistically, to a Destiny 2 that has a better, reworked system? And what, exactly, does the business model of a $60 game + multiple paid DLC packs have to do with Destiny's un-monetized, micropayment-less Investment System? It seems to me that you're being your usual unimaginative self coming up with only one possible worst case scenario.

Frankly, it is ridiculous to think that the way Destiny 1 works today is the way Destiny X is going to work nearly a decade from now...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, January 12, 2015, 13:28 (3539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Here's a newsflash: The game isn't going to fundamentally change. And I guess you've got ~10 years to remind us of its crappy core.

And THAT'S the shame. They have committed to a ten year plan, where our characters and all that move from game to game, all before the first release. With a normal sequel, you can shun what doesn't work and fix your shit, but not with Destiny. It feels like Bungie is already committed, which sucks because they committed even before they knew it was good.

Why can't they fix things in a sequel, exactly? The parts actively carrying forward between games are the most solid parts of Destiny. The movement modes, the powers, the gunplay, your character builds... all those are parts that don't need fixing. Things like the poorly exposed and executed story and the sameness of missions mechanics are parts that Bungie will naturally get another shot at simply because a new game means new story and new missions. Then, with all the feedback Bungie has received, it seems silly to think that they wouldn't also look over the parts you despise so much. The Investment System. The Grind. The randomness. Surely all those will see some changes.

Will Destiny 2 lack all traces of an Investment System and be 100% Cody Miller approved? No. But Destiny's strong core combined with more diverse missions, stronger story and cutscene elements, and an investment system that flows more naturally into what a player wants to do (mainly by eliminating that level 20-28 content gap) would, in my opinion, make Destiny's sequels into excellent, Halo level games. Heck, perhaps some of those changes will come to the game we already have!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:21 (3539 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Why can't they fix things in a sequel, exactly? The parts actively carrying forward between games are the most solid parts of Destiny. The movement modes, the powers, the gunplay, your character builds... all those are parts that don't need fixing. Things like the poorly exposed and executed story and the sameness of missions mechanics are parts that Bungie will naturally get another shot at simply because a new game means new story and new missions. Then, with all the feedback Bungie has received, it seems silly to think that they wouldn't also look over the parts you despise so much. The Investment System. The Grind. The randomness. Surely all those will see some changes.

Here are fixes that are needed:

1. Decouple level progression from armor.
2. Eliminate weapon and armor upgrading in its current form.
3. Eliminate RNG based progression (1 should help with that).
4. Provide a fixed path towards acquiring all items.

Do you think there's any chance this will happen? I give it zero percent. Because they are stuck.

How would you eliminate RNG based progression?

by scarab @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:32 (3539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, January 12, 2015, 20:28 (3539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Uh huh. You gave a list of things you think need fixing and answered the question of "Why can't they fix things in a sequel, exactly?" with nothing more than a question which I already answered (see the half of my post you didn't quote) and:

Because they are stuck.

You can write lengthy, informative opinions on video game theory but your complete reasoning behind why Destiny can't be fixed is "because they are stuck?" That's seriously the best you can do? Ok... Ahem:

Why are they stuck?
Why can't they fix things in a sequel, exactly?

What prevents Bungie from eliminating or smoothing out the things you don't like? Is the Investment System, as it currently exists, in their contract? Do they simply hate players? Maybe it's an endless loop of they won't fix the investment system because they're stuck and they're stuck... because they won't fix the investment system?

by scarab @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 14:18 (3539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[snip]
Hell, they committed when I KNEW it was bad. And If I could tell, without having played a second of the game, then surely someone at Bungie thought "Gee, making your level progression depend on RNG is not such a good idea.

You can use RNG to control progress because you can set targets of what proportion of your population attain a given level then adjust probabilities accordingly. A small proportion of players will do amazingly well and that will be an encouragement and a goad to get other players sinking time into the game.

Of course, given that Destiny's state is held on servers and it is always online... Bungie could have just set progress targets over time, set milestones... then just have the server do a DateTime call every time the game does a GET and then look up the expected progress for that date and award progress to the character accordingly.

You could say, "3 months in a character should be level 30, with 7 exotics, 13 legendaries and x amount of upgrade units to spend on those things".

Let people work to reach level 20 but post 20 let progress be dependant on time since game first played.

Then you make the game amazingly fun to play so that anyone who hasn't played in x weeks has missed out on oodles of fun.

So a level 20 who has been playing since launch has had four months of fun plus level 30 progression.

A level 20+ player who missed 6 weeks during that time has level 30 progress but has missed out on a whole 6 weeks of the best fun you can have in a game. You would feel sorry for the guy who missed out on those 6 weeks.

Bungie still gets to gate progress but nobody is obliged to put in more hours than they want.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:27 (3539 days ago) @ scarab

[snip]
Hell, they committed when I KNEW it was bad. And If I could tell, without having played a second of the game, then surely someone at Bungie thought "Gee, making your level progression depend on RNG is not such a good idea.

You can use RNG to control progress because you can set targets of what proportion of your population attain a given level then adjust probabilities accordingly. A small proportion of players will do amazingly well and that will be an encouragement and a goad to get other players sinking time into the game.

Why do you need to control progression? That's the bullshit I'm talking about. I should control the progression. My ability to play and master the game. Nothing more. And when I master it and conquer everything, then yahoo. So what? All the bad parts of the game are there precisely because the idea of someone beating the game in a few days is the end of the world. All you are doing is wasting the player's time. I cannot get that this isn't self evident:

Don't time gate anything. Don't place level or experience gates on anything. The only gate should be my understanding of the game. Really simple rule, and breaking it makes players frustrated and it makes your game suck.

Bungie still gets to gate progress but nobody is obliged to put in more hours than they want.

Bungie's job is to throw us into a world with challenges and things to see, and LET US DO THEM AT OUR OWN PACE AND IN OUR OWN WAY. Gated and padded progress is what makes MMOs so bad, and such a waste of time.

I don't need to control player progression

by scarab @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:41 (3539 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was just saying that it should be possible to gate progression without demanding lots of time invested.

I wasn't saying that gated progressions is something that I want to see in the game.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread