Destiny is set in present day! (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 16:49 (3449 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 16:54

If you look at the Grimoire card for Jupiter, the Great Red Spot is visible. This is expected to disappear by 2030. This means that Destiny does not in fact take place in the future. It's either the present, or the past.

Let the speculation begin. And don't tell me space magic.

Destiny is set in present day!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 17:05 (3449 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you look at the Grimoire card for Jupiter, the great Red Spot is visible. This is expected to disappear by 2030. This means that Destiny does not in fact take place in the future.

Let the speculation begin.

I speculate that it is a different spot than the current Great Red Spot. This spot, "The Son of The Great Red Spot", was whipped into shape by Jupiter's extreme winds some six hundred years after the demise of it's father spot. This is supported by the idea that "human lifespans tripled" (how would you know unless you measured over ~200 to 300 years?) and that your Ghost mentions that The City took "centuries" to build when you first get to The Tower.

Therefore, Destiny is, in fact, in the future. :p

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 19, 2015, 17:28 (3449 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is expected to disappear by 2030.

Wait, what?!

And it's YOUR fault!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 17:38 (3449 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Dang that climate change!

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 18:00 (3449 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 17:41 (3449 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Source?

Cody doesn't need sources.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 17:45 (3449 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

LOL

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 19, 2015, 18:27 (3449 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Amen. :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 19:30 (3449 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 18:18 (3449 days ago) @ CyberKN

Source?

http://spacetelescope.org/news/heic1410/

Of course, as per Cody's usual 'my subjective is objective' perspective, this only means the red spot disappears by 2030 IF the current rate of shrinkage continues without change. (You can see the speculation on pages like this.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 18:30 (3449 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Source?

http://spacetelescope.org/news/heic1410/

Of course, as per Cody's usual 'my subjective is objective' perspective, this only means the red spot disappears by 2030 IF the current rate of shrinkage continues without change. (You can see the speculation on pages like this.)

I think it's unlikely it would stick around for another 300 years to last through the golden age, even if it slows in its shrinking.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Sunday, April 19, 2015, 21:20 (3449 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's also the possibility that in 200 years, another supercell could begin devouring other cyclones and form another red spot. (The last hypothesis as to how the red spot was formed that I heard.) Or maybe it isn't the spot that we recognize today, but a bit of space magic that the Traveler did to reduce Jupiter's radiation output so that the Jovians weren't completely irradiated. Actually, I like that one. I'm gonna stick with that one.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 18:30 (3449 days ago) @ CyberKN

Source?

All scientists everywhere. Just google it.

Clearly the same ones doing "climate change"

by Durandal, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 19:01 (3449 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Scientist #1: The spot shrunk 1000 km this year!
Scientist #2: If that continues there will be no spot by 2030! Disaster!
Scientist #3: Uh guys, we have no idea what dynamics fuel the spot, and it grows and shrinks constantly. Shouldn't we have a better model before we predict it's imminent demise?

Scientists #1 and 2: HERESY! We can reliably extrapolate any trend line with only two points. It is science! Don't be a denier! Think of the forums! Think of the planetariums! Think of the government funding!

They then proceed to dash out the room to retrieve their grant writing pencils.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 19:03 (3449 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Source?

All scientists everywhere. Just google it.

I did research it. If the current rate of degradation we've seen in the last 20 years continues unabated, then yes, it will probably no longer be visible by 2030. However, the consensus seems to be that we don't really know what sustains the storm in the first place. Based on our current models of how storms work, this thing should have lasted all of four years total.

Destiny's opening dialogue is wrong.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 20:12 (3449 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It was supposed to be "extraterrestrial anticyclonic storm lifespan tripled," but the actor thought it sounded silly and changed the words.

By the way

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 19, 2015, 22:43 (3449 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The Grimoire could easily have been constructed out of past data. The fact that it displays today's Red Spot could mean as little as that the Tower has access to images from today's astronomers.

Not to mention how it could have easily been an oversight on Bungie's part.

By the way

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 19, 2015, 23:49 (3449 days ago) @ ZackDark

The Grimoire could easily have been constructed out of past data. The fact that it displays today's Red Spot could mean as little as that the Tower has access to images from today's astronomers.

I was under the impression information, data, and artifacts from the golden age and before were rare. Hence all the patrol missions to scan stuff.

By the way

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 19, 2015, 23:50 (3449 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was under the impression information, data, and artifacts from the golden age and before were rare.

Which is why we build the Grimoire by finding them in the field, as opposed to having it built from the start.

By the way

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 20, 2015, 00:07 (3449 days ago) @ ZackDark

I was under the impression information, data, and artifacts from the golden age and before were rare.

Which is why we build the Grimoire by finding them in the field, as opposed to having it built from the start.

You just blew my mind.

Cosmetologist/Astrologer here. That is wildly speculative.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 20, 2015, 02:38 (3449 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Funkmon, Monday, April 20, 2015, 02:42

No astronomer I know of actually thinks this will happen, just that it is possible.

We've been watching this thing since Kepler pretty much uninterrupted. While it is a mystery to us exactly why it continues, new research and computer modeling indicates it has something to do with vertical winds and gases keeping the storm stable. Initially, scientists thought it continued to gain energy by sucking up smaller vortices. This doesn't explain its current longevity, but the vertical winds keep it running in mathematical models potentially indefinitely. Because of this, many astronomers saw no reason to buy into the 2030 thing from 2014 that you're talking about.

Considering we know not what mechanism exactly keeps it going, we cannot predict anything. The idea that it will be gone by 2030 is due to extrapolation of trends found in very recent years using a straight linear regression best fit line on the data. We haven't really had very good measurements of the red spot for more than 70 years, and in its cartoonishly long lifespan, that is nothing. Right now, it's shrunken from times in living memory of many of our forumgoers. I show students every week the red spot, or bright pink spot, as I call it, and it is pretty small, much smaller than photos from around Pioneer's time...but this doesn't necessarily mean anything. See photos. Guess which is which.

[image]

[image]

This may be a normal ebb and flow of the red spot, or it might actually be leaving. We don't really know, and all the astronomers, even the ones mentioned in the press releases touting this attention grabbing headline, say they don't really know, just that it's possible.

What a gorgeous gas planet

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, April 20, 2015, 02:49 (3449 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Gas planet was my nickname in high school.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 20, 2015, 03:32 (3448 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Because of Uranus?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, April 20, 2015, 04:27 (3448 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Astrologer? Cosmetologist?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 20, 2015, 05:33 (3448 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, April 20, 2015, 05:37

Are you making a joke? Astrology is horoscopes and unscientific bullshit like that, and cosmetology is beauty school and stuff. Neither is in a position to predict Jupiter's weather.

100% voracious. I strive for complete condor.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 20, 2015, 09:11 (3448 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Radar.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, April 20, 2015, 12:27 (3448 days ago) @ Funkmon

Also, Destiny's writers apparently don't know the difference between a satellite dish and a radar dish.

Either that, or Ghost doesn't know the difference. Not sure which is more disturbing, really.

You're right.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 20, 2015, 18:04 (3448 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Funkmon, Monday, April 20, 2015, 18:14

But through the magic of apologetics, we can accept this.

So, The Last Array was almost definitely a bunch of satellite dishes, but when ghost says "Up the hill. The building with the radar. That's the Skywatch," he may have been accurate. That may be a radar dish. We can't really tell, because they're all reflector antennae. Then he says "We're in. This was one of Skywatch's old array stations: a link to the lunar colonies." He MAY be talking about the building, which has more than that massive reflector, and may have a massive pile of radio transmitters, with a hidden reflector we just don't see for communication (remember, the big ones only come out during the story mission), or they might communicate using microwaves, informally called radar (like radar ranges/microwave ovens), as we currently do with point to point satellites, though between planets it seems unlikely. They may have invented some kind of space magic though that makes using microwaves feasible between the Earth and the moon, and they may continue to use them for legacy communication with old cell phones, wifi networks, etc.

So, using complicated techniques of denial, it could work, and I like my colloquial explanation.

However, using Occam's razor, yeah, they totally screwed up. In fact, almost everything related to astronomy in this game is completely inaccurate. Oh well! Space magic.

Did you even read his post? That might answer your question.

by Robot Chickens, Monday, April 20, 2015, 12:50 (3448 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Is Funkmon making a joke?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 02:32 (3447 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Thank you +1

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, April 20, 2015, 12:26 (3448 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread