Well Now... That Build Actually Works! (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 03:07 (3352 days ago)

I've been meaning to try out a cloak-y backstabbing "Assassin" Hunter build for a while. I always figured the cloak wouldn't be good enough to fool people and the backstab would be too directional and not trigger often enough to make me mad. Turns out I was wrong! I've been one hit meleeing people all over the place and while the cloak isn't near as good as in Halo, it can allow you to sneak in fast and sometimes cloak and get away. Specifically, I have Better Control (Jump), Razor's Edge (for Bubble Titans), Backstab, Path Forgotten, Shadowjack, Way of the Fearless, and Stalker.

So yeah, once Destiny decided to stop joining me into games with one ally and all the points captured by the enemy, or horrible lag, and stopped spawning me in front of charging Titans this build performed very well. Much much better than I expected! :)

Well Now... That Build Actually Works!

by yakaman, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 13:30 (3351 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I've been meaning to try out a cloak-y backstabbing "Assassin" Hunter build for a while. I always figured the cloak wouldn't be good enough to fool people and the backstab would be too directional and not trigger often enough to make me mad. Turns out I was wrong! I've been one hit meleeing people all over the place and while the cloak isn't near as good as in Halo, it can allow you to sneak in fast and sometimes cloak and get away. Specifically, I have Better Control (Jump), Razor's Edge (for Bubble Titans), Backstab, Path Forgotten, Shadowjack, Way of the Fearless, and Stalker.

So yeah, once Destiny decided to stop joining me into games with one ally and all the points captured by the enemy, or horrible lag, and stopped spawning me in front of charging Titans this build performed very well. Much much better than I expected! :)

I actually have trouble against cloaked hunters, particularly when they close quickly and use melee. Fast, vertical, tough to see, and deadly up close.

Not so much when they try to snipe or precision-shoot...no big deal then.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 14:47 (3351 days ago) @ yakaman

Not so much when they try to snipe or precision-shoot...no big deal then.

Maybe if they'd remove that stupid red light when using a sniper, the invis dancer would be more efficient at sniping.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 15:23 (3351 days ago) @ red robber

It just doesn't even make sense that someone would design Patience & Time and not remove any possibility of glare/the scope revealing the positioning of the sniper. I can conceive of no gunsmith thinking it was alright to make the person invisible but still reveal his or her position to the whole universe through a red laser glare.

</rant>

by Up North 65 @, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 17:36 (3351 days ago) @ BeardFade

If they took that ghillie material over the scope and had it cover the front, maybe make scoped in a little fuzzy to compensate, and take away that glint that would fit the theme. Or if the upper and lower third was taped over, like the old air raid lights or bino covers, again making the scope a little harder to use to compensate. But to have a sniper rifle built around the idea of invis and having it put a red strobe light on the player is mucho no bueno.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 17:44 (3351 days ago) @ BeardFade

It's a gameplay decision pure and simple. One that I agree with. A good sniper is already dangerous enough without being completely invisible!

Honestly, I don't disagree with you

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 19:53 (3351 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think it's fine for gameplay. You're right that a good sniper is powerful enough. It just bothers me from a logic/story arc angle. If you were telling a story about the creation of Patience & Time, you'd assume that the creator would find a way to remove the red glare, that they'd go to all lengths to make it as stealthy as humanly possible. I just can't conceive of a story in which I can accept the conclusion that the gun turns you invisible but you still have a giant red light shining from you. :)

None of MY snipers have a big red light :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 19:58 (3351 days ago) @ BeardFade

- No text -

But I'm a bad sniper....

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 23:13 (3351 days ago) @ Ragashingo

and I need all the help I can get.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 16:43 (3351 days ago) @ yakaman

I don't think I have much trouble with them. But then again, I really outmaneuvered people yesterday while cloaked so maybe I just put a lot of emphasis on my radar... or more scarily, maybe those times where I swear someone appeared out of nowhere it was really a cloaked hunter blowing me away! :p

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread