So... about the Necrochasm. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 24, 2015, 11:10 (3350 days ago)

It's been a pretty amazing night and morning for me, Destiny wise. This morning I got Lucky Rasberry from an exotic engram, meaning I now have every piece of exotic armor in the game. And last night, we had a great run through Crota on hard mode. I managed to snag the Crux of Crota as a drop (despite Speedracer's cries of anguish ;p). I dropped it into my fully upgraded Eidolon Ally, and BAM... I now have the most useless gun in the game XD (which also happens to complete my collection of exotic weapons).

Seriously, I knew it wasn't going to be good. We've all seen the videos and read the reviews. But I had no idea just how bad this thing really is. We're talking "it takes almost an entire clip to kill a level 5 Dreg" bad. I believe it was Slycrel who summed it up perfectly a while back: "It's impossible to hit anything, but at least when you actually do hit something it does no damage".

Bungie has said that the Necrochasm is working as intended, which makes me ask "why?". Why would they intentionally create an exotic weapon that takes so many steps to attain, yet is literally useless. I don't think I'm exaggerating here... you're better off using a rare-level auto rifle.

All that aside, I'm on cloud 9 right now. My exotic collection is complete! All exotic weapons are fully upgraded 331 versions, all armor is max level (with a couple upgrades left to do).

So... about the Necrochasm.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, April 24, 2015, 11:17 (3350 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's been a pretty amazing night and morning for me, Destiny wise. This morning I got Lucky Rasberry from an exotic engram, meaning I now have every piece of exotic armor in the game. And last night, we had a great run through Crota on hard mode. I managed to snag the Crux of Crota as a drop (despite Speedracer's cries of anguish ;p). I dropped it into my fully upgraded Eidolon Ally, and BAM... I now have the most useless gun in the game XD (which also happens to complete my collection of exotic weapons).

Seriously, I knew it wasn't going to be good. We've all seen the videos and read the reviews. But I had no idea just how bad this thing really is. We're talking "it takes almost an entire clip to kill a level 5 Dreg" bad. I believe it was Slycrel who summed it up perfectly a while back: "It's impossible to hit anything, but at least when you actually do hit something it does no damage".

Bungie has said that the Necrochasm is working as intended, which makes me ask "why?". Why would they intentionally create an exotic weapon that takes so many steps to attain, yet is literally useless. I don't think I'm exaggerating here... you're better off using a rare-level auto rifle.

All that aside, I'm on cloud 9 right now. My exotic collection is complete! All exotic weapons are fully upgraded 331 versions, all armor is max level (with a couple upgrades left to do).

They we're fairly quick to patch Juju and Thorn, which makes me think that perhaps guns like No Land Beyond and Necrochasm aren't crap, the community just hasn't figured out their optimal use yet.

I'm thinking something niche like, a specific use or encounter type where it excels. It hasn't been patched because it hasn't needed it, etc.

Dunno. Maybe. I hope. Otherwise it's just kinda sad.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, April 24, 2015, 11:33 (3350 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Some skilled people have found NLB to be all right in crucible. Definitely more skilled than me, because I can't even kill afk players with it.

I wish they would give it a huge buff in PVE like they did shotguns. With its slow rate of fire it should be a one shot kill even on body shots for almost everything. Make it do as much damage as Black Hammer if not slightly more. Then it would actually be fun and unique in PvE.

You beat me to it :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 24, 2015, 12:11 (3350 days ago) @ bluerunner

I was going to say, at least NLB has found its niche with some PvP players. It's not for every player or every situation, and that's fine. I'm just trying to figure out what Bungie had in mind with the Necrochasm. I don't see where or how it fits.

Psst

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, April 24, 2015, 12:15 (3350 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If someone can carry me through the Crota Hard Mode boss fight and I get lucky enough for a Crux, I can tell you if the niche is just "me." ;)

Psst

by petetheduck, Friday, April 24, 2015, 12:18 (3350 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

If someone can carry me through the Crota Hard Mode boss fight and I get lucky enough for a Crux, I can tell you if the niche is just "me." ;)

I can tell you it isn't.

Necrochasm is 100% disappointment. Even it's firefly effect is the old useless time delay firefly.

Psst

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, April 24, 2015, 12:22 (3350 days ago) @ petetheduck

Well, keep in mind that the archetype the Necrochasm fits in is my favorite gun type.

I'd probably just use it in Arc burns and Fallen-heavy events, because of the mag size, but still.

Psst

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 24, 2015, 12:26 (3350 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Well, keep in mind that the archetype the Necrochasm fits in is my favorite gun type.

I'd probably just use it in Arc burns and Fallen-heavy events, because of the mag size, but still.

The big problem is that even with CQB Ballistics AND Fitted Stock activated, the stability is just too wild to consistently land hits. I'd say roughly half the bullets that leave the barrel miss my target completely, even at close-mid range.

Psst

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, April 24, 2015, 12:34 (3350 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My preferred weapon, Doctor Nope, one that I can consistently land every shot with mind you, has the same size Stability bar as Eidolon Ally or Husk of the Pit, when they don't have Fitted Stock turned on.

My Nope has Perfect Balance, but I use Hammer Forged, because the recoil is something I can compensate for myself.

So there's the problem; you guys are the opposite of me, I imagine, when it comes to what you can and can't aim.

Psst

by petetheduck, Friday, April 24, 2015, 12:44 (3350 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

My preferred weapon, Doctor Nope, one that I can consistently land every shot with mind you, has the same size Stability bar as Eidolon Ally or Husk of the Pit, when they don't have Fitted Stock turned on.

My Nope has Perfect Balance, but I use Hammer Forged, because the recoil is something I can compensate for myself.

So there's the problem; you guys are the opposite of me, I imagine, when it comes to what you can and can't aim.

Aiming is not the problem. Low impact and magazine size coupled with a poorly executed perk makes a bad exotic.

Psst

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, April 24, 2015, 12:49 (3350 days ago) @ petetheduck

Well, okay; Cruel said the big problem was the Stability, but okay.

And, I mean, I don't have the numbers and I'm not going to trust the bars enough to get a ruler and try to remember vector multiplication, but the Necrochasm does have higher Impact than other guns in the class, even if its magazine is smaller. That seems like it could be a fair trade-off, just a very niche tradeoff in an already niche archetype.

I can't say anything about the perk, though.

Psst

by petetheduck, Friday, April 24, 2015, 12:58 (3350 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

And, I mean, I don't have the numbers and I'm not going to trust the bars enough to get a ruler and try to remember vector multiplication, but the Necrochasm does have higher Impact than other guns in the class, even if its magazine is smaller. That seems like it could be a fair trade-off, just a very niche tradeoff in an already niche archetype.

Oh, I'm all for everyone having a chance to use this gun.. and then feel the inevitable disappointment. So I hope you get it!

I do think Bungie will address it at some point and make it worthwhile.

Psst

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 24, 2015, 13:01 (3350 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

It's true that I don't use guns in this archetype very often, so I don't have a great base for comparison. I do use Atheon's Epilogue often enough, and I find it to be far more effective.

The only way I could possibly see the Necrochasm being effective is in situations like The Abyss, or parts of the Omnigal strike, with multiple guardians firing it together into a crowd. 2 or 3 Necrochasms flooding a crowd of Thrall with a downpour of fire and explosive headshots might work decently well... But I still can't imagine it being as effective as a single Fatebringer :-/

Psst

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 24, 2015, 13:18 (3350 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

It's not a tradeoff when some enemies can't be killed using a full magazine, and you must reload! That just sucks. We're talking trash level enemies here. That's just completely unusable.

If you like Atheon's Epilogue, you might like Necrochasm

by DreadPirateWes, Friday, April 24, 2015, 16:51 (3350 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

I hate both.

Epilogue > Most Bullet-hoses

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:02 (3350 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Granted, I only ever use it in VoG at this point, but the Persistence perk turns it's stream into a laser beam of void death, and it has the clip size to back it up. I NEVER run out of ammo with Field Scout turned on.

Epilogue > Most Bullet-hoses

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:25 (3350 days ago) @ CyberKN

Granted, I only ever use it in VoG at this point, but the Persistence perk turns it's stream into a laser beam of void death, and it has the clip size to back it up. I NEVER run out of ammo with Field Scout turned on.

See I only ever use it with the stability perk on over field scout... maybe I'll change that up.

Psst

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 24, 2015, 13:17 (3350 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, April 24, 2015, 13:22

The big problem is that even with CQB Ballistics AND Fitted Stock activated, the stability is just too wild to consistently land hits. I'd say roughly half the bullets that leave the barrel miss my target completely, even at close-mid range.

1. You can use aggressive ballistics, which makes it much easier to hit stuff (and more impact). More predictable recoil is much much better than lower recoil on the necrochasm in my opinion.

2. The thing sucks even for arc burn. Fatebringer or Fang completely outclasses it.

It's just a super sucky gun. I don't know how Bungie can't see that. Magazine size is too small. It does shit damage. Explosion perk activates a million years after the enemy is killed.

Psst

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 02:37 (3350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's just a super sucky gun. I don't know how Bungie can't see that.

You think they don't?

Perhaps this is all a social experiment, to see how many people will just soldier on trying to get this thing even after everyone knows it is not worth having.

Can anyone speak for Gunslinger's Trance + Necro?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 13:29 (3349 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 17:54 (3349 days ago) @ Malagate

Haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a shot and get back to you :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 17:57 (3349 days ago) @ Malagate

It's a waste of gunslinger's trance!

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 18:02 (3349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're a waste of Gunslinger's Trance!

(Writing this is the second stupidest thing I've done all day. The stupidest thing I've done all day is actually post it.)

Psst

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 17:56 (3349 days ago) @ narcogen

It's just a super sucky gun. I don't know how Bungie can't see that.

You think they don't?

They said it was working as intended. That means they don't see that it sucks.

Psst

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, April 25, 2015, 19:28 (3349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They said it was working as intended. That means they don't see that it sucks.

Or that they don't mind having an Exotic that straight out sucks

I don't have the Necrochasm itself

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, April 24, 2015, 11:36 (3350 days ago) @ Revenant1988

But just looking at the stats, and playing with my Eidolon Ally, it's an exaggerated version of a Sahara, somewhat?

It has higher Impact but a smaller magazine, but that same ridiculously high fire rate.

So if you can't use anything in the archetype very well, you definitely won't be able to use it.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, April 24, 2015, 11:48 (3350 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Speedracer513, Friday, April 24, 2015, 11:54

. . . I managed to snag the Crux of Crota as a drop (despite Speedracer's cries of anguish ;p). . . .

I couldn't even care less that I didn't get a Crux last night -- I'm just mad that you got it before me! >:-|

Seriously, are there any exotic weapons I had before you? Thunderlord maybe?

Edit: Oh, and you may remember that my one "consolation" last night when you got the Crux was that at least I have every piece of exotic armor in the game, so I still had my chance to get "all teh exotics before you" -- but no, Xur and Rahool teamed up this morning to spoil my fun and give you the freakin' Raspberry!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, April 24, 2015, 11:57 (3350 days ago) @ Speedracer513

but no, Xur and Rahool teamed up this morning to spoil my fun and give you the freakin' Raspberry!

Sound's like YOU'RE the one who got Raspberried LOL

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, April 24, 2015, 12:04 (3350 days ago) @ Revenant1988

but no, Xur and Rahool teamed up this morning to spoil my fun and give you the freakin' Raspberry!

Sound's like YOU'RE the one who got Raspberried LOL

I got raspberried a looong time ago ;-)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 24, 2015, 15:45 (3350 days ago) @ Speedracer513

. . . I managed to snag the Crux of Crota as a drop (despite Speedracer's cries of anguish ;p). . . .

I couldn't even care less that I didn't get a Crux last night -- I'm just mad that you got it before me! >:-|

Seriously, are there any exotic weapons I had before you? Thunderlord maybe?

Don't worry, I'm still jealous of your 3 Black Hammers and 2 Gjallarhorns ;p

I've still *only* got 1 of each.

*The ultimate first world problem

It's vastly underpowered. Unfortunate.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, April 24, 2015, 13:41 (3350 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Treat it like a pulse rifle...

by nash, Friday, April 24, 2015, 14:18 (3350 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

... and it's actually kinda' fun against lower-level enemies!

Treat it like a pulse rifle...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 24, 2015, 15:42 (3350 days ago) @ nash

... and it's actually kinda' fun against lower-level enemies!

I haven't spent much time with it, but I did use it during a WARSAT public event in Old Russia and I couldn't kill anything with it. Granted, a lot of the Fallen enemies that were attacking were Majors, but still... they were only level 5. I ended up having to punch as many to death as I could while Dogcow and Cody took care of the rest lol

Not useless. It's fun to play against in the Crucible.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, April 24, 2015, 14:36 (3350 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

One time I entered A on Asylum through the slidey doors and out dueled the guy in front of me but I kept getting hit and kept getting hit and kept getting by some rapid fire gun so I turned and found a guy up on a box in the corner blazing away at me. I punched him to death and we both had a good long laugh. I suspect he switched to another gun after that. :p

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread