How do I crucible? (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, April 24, 2015, 16:42 (3444 days ago)

I double-checked my commendation count yesterday after the weekly update. I'm sitting pretty at 47 Vanguard commendations.

Crucible commendations? 2.

I generally avoid PVP in destiny. I absolutely hate Control as a game-type, and being forced to play it during Iron Banner has soured my opinion of Destiny's competitive multiplayer in general.

Gaining reputation and marks in Crucible seems absurdly slow - it takes 2500 rep to rank up, but I only get 10-25 per game (Caveat: I don't know if this is base or Nightfall-enhanced)? I guess bounties help, but geez.

So I guess what I'm asking is if there's some method to this madness? Are there any tricks that make the grind feel like less of a slog, even if I'm consistently losing matches? (Running with friends doesn't seem to help. I start resenting low-scoring team-mates, and I don't want to go down that path.)

Doom patrol.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, April 24, 2015, 16:45 (3444 days ago) @ CyberKN

I double-checked my commendation count yesterday after the weekly update. I'm sitting pretty at 47 Vanguard commendations.

Crucible commendations? 2.

I generally avoid PVP in destiny. I absolutely hate Control as a game-type, and being forced to play it during Iron Banner has soured my opinion of Destiny's competitive multiplayer in general.

Gaining reputation and marks in Crucible seems absurdly slow - it takes 2500 rep to rank up, but I only get 10-25 per game (Caveat: I don't know if this is base or by Nightfall-enhanced)? I guess bounties help, but geez.

So I guess what I'm asking is if there's some method to this madness? Are there any tricks that make the grind feel like less of a slog, even if I'm consistently losing matches? (Running with friends doesn't seem to help. I start resenting low-scoring team-mates, and I don't want to go down that path.)

The only way to play crucible: get 5 other people and go full trytard. Fireteam builder is a good way to organize one. Go out there and crush random teams that can't get organized.

And alcohol too.

How do I crucible?

by Up North 65 @, Friday, April 24, 2015, 16:51 (3444 days ago) @ CyberKN

12 for a loss and 31 for a win with nightfall. Some nights I try and really watch the way I play but it seems lately I'll run my shoulder charge build with dual shottys and flip the bird at my kd. Makes it fun, lightens the mood, and really blow off some steam. Playing with a few others who share your idea of a good time as well make it easier. Another way to get crucible commendations is level up factions.

Actually, I think I can do one tonight. 360 peeps!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, April 24, 2015, 16:51 (3444 days ago) @ iconicbanana
edited by iconicbanana, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:22

After you're done helping out Junior have the best b-day ever, let's do some late night monster trucking. I miss all of you.

How do I crucible?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, April 24, 2015, 16:53 (3444 days ago) @ CyberKN

Not sure I have much to say to get you to like Crucible any more... I have been enjoying it a lot over the past few weeks, including when you are doing it with us.

However, if you're looking for a way to get more crucible commendations before HoW, throw on a faction class item while you do your PvE grind. Even though you're doing vanguard-type activities, if you're rep-ing a faction you'll get crucible commendations instead of vanguard commendations each time you level up.

Interesing

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Friday, April 24, 2015, 16:55 (3444 days ago) @ Up North 65

12 for a loss and 31 for a win with nightfall. Some nights I try and really watch the way I play but it seems lately I'll run my shoulder charge build with dual shottys and flip the bird at my kd. Makes it fun, lightens the mood, and really blow off some steam. Playing with a few others who share your idea of a good time as well make it easier. Another way to get crucible commendations is level up factions.

Hadn't thought about it but by turning in these crucible commendations, it should in theory rank up only crucible not the faction that rewarded it. And to me, crucible has the primo weapons and armor. Gonna have to start wearing that faction mark while I play PvE stuff now.

Interesing

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:05 (3444 days ago) @ red robber

What makes you think it would only work for crucible and vanguard rank? I would assume if you have FWC arm band on your Warlock, and turn in the Commendations that FWC will get the rank.

It's not really the commendations; I just want more guns...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:07 (3444 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Not sure I have much to say to get you to like Crucible any more... I have been enjoying it a lot over the past few weeks, including when you are doing it with us.

However, if you're looking for a way to get more crucible commendations before HoW, throw on a faction class item while you do your PvE grind. Even though you're doing vanguard-type activities, if you're rep-ing a faction you'll get crucible commendations instead of vanguard commendations each time you level up.

...out of Crucible packages.

I am VERY jealous of Cruel's B-Line Trauma with Explosive rounds, and as far as I know, the only way I can get one is from a Purple engram or Crucible package, Or nightfall drop. and the Crucible Packages have the best chance to contain it.

Interesing

by Up North 65 @, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:12 (3444 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I think the point being made was by leveling up factions you inadvertently level crucible. At least til wolves drops. In a streak of insanity or boredom or maybe insanity I'm currently working on getting each faction to lvl 3 on each character and within 50 pts of kicking over so when how does drop there is a chance of the new stuff dropping.

How do I crucible?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:15 (3444 days ago) @ CyberKN

(Running with friends doesn't seem to help. I start resenting low-scoring team-mates, and I don't want to go down that path.)

And this is why I'm scared to play with you and others.

Interesing

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:26 (3444 days ago) @ Up North 65

I think the point being made was by leveling up factions you inadvertently level crucible. At least til wolves drops. In a streak of insanity or boredom or maybe insanity I'm currently working on getting each faction to lvl 3 on each character and within 50 pts of kicking over so when how does drop there is a chance of the new stuff dropping.

Maybe I'm still not understanding what you guys are saying, but it seems like you're misunderstanding how it works.

If you're wearing a non-faction class item, any vanguard or crucible bounties you turn in (and the in-game reputation you earn while doing those activities) will increase your vanguard or crucible reputation respectively.

If you're wearing a faction class item, any vanguard or crucible bounties and any in-game reputation ALL go toward's that faction's reputation level and NOT to your vanguard or crucible rep.

Once HoW drops and we cash in our commendations, I got the impression that those rep points will go towards your faction's rep if you're wearing that faction class item (and your vanguard/crucible rep if you're not).

In

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:28 (3444 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Clarification

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:42 (3444 days ago) @ Speedracer513

What I was getting at was that I could rank up a faction now til HOW and receive crucible commendation. Then when HOW drops, I can equip a non faction item and recieve a bunch of crucible rep :)

So instead of just gaining crucible rep in crucible, I can now gain crucible rep through PvE activities.

So for someone who hates crucible, ie the OP. This could be a way to gain rep without playing crucible.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:43 (3444 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by Revenant1988, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:48

...out of Crucible packages.

I am VERY jealous of Cruel's B-Line Trauma with Explosive rounds, and as far as I know, the only way I can get one is from a Purple engram or Crucible package, Or nightfall drop. and the Crucible Packages have the best chance to contain it.

Oh! I have one of those, and I pretty much never play PvP. I remember when I got it and I was like "how the hell did I get a crucible weapon? I don't play...."

I'm almost positive I got my B-Line from a Vanguard reward package. Also a Solar two the morgue, which is a crucible shotgun.

The only things I've EVER gotten from my Dead Orbit packages are a combination of

*1 Crucible commendation
*various amounts of glimmer or marks
* 1 shard or 1 energy.

ONE TIME THOUGH, I GOT A SHADER. That was nice. I've gotten an armor piece once or twice. Guns pretty much never... That also applies to Vanguard reward packages.

I tend to get weapons from the Cryptarc and random drops. I've got a really nice The Crash (FWC) and I got that from the cryptarc. Same with my Red Hand (that I never use) and a couple versions of the Deviant Gravity.

How do I crucible?

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:54 (3444 days ago) @ Kermit

If you wanna crucible just for fun hit me up. I could care less if I win or lose. My winning percentage right now is in the 30's. It's so bad. But my kd is 1.3. My play style is too conservative for high scoring but my deaths are usually in the single digits.

Same goes for anyone who wants to casual crucible. It's just more fun w teammates from dbo.

Ahhh...

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:55 (3444 days ago) @ red robber

What I was getting at was that I could rank up a faction now til HOW and receive crucible commendation. Then when HOW drops, I can equip a non faction item and recieve a bunch of crucible rep :)

So instead of just gaining crucible rep in crucible, I can now gain crucible rep through PvE activities.

So for someone who hates crucible, ie the OP. This could be a way to gain rep without playing crucible.

Yeah, that's totally how I was thinking too. As soon as I read the update yesterday, I checked to see how many crucible commendations I have, than calculated to see how many levels of reputation it should net me, and whether I should cash them in on more Dead Orbit, or crucible rep for my alts.

Don't.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, April 24, 2015, 18:04 (3444 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's a horrible story.

[image]

Don't.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, April 24, 2015, 18:08 (3444 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Ragashingo, Friday, April 24, 2015, 18:16

I don't know, The Crucible didn't seem all that bad for me... We except for that time I put absolutely no points into Skill or Will and couldn't shoot the worms on the rock monster to save my life...

Likewise

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 24, 2015, 18:19 (3444 days ago) @ red robber

I'm in the same boat in terms of not caring if we win or lose. Always up for some casual Crucible fun :)

Don't.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, April 24, 2015, 18:29 (3444 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I didn't think that was the name of the episode, but season 3 remains my favorite.

If Mrs. BeardFade oks it...

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Friday, April 24, 2015, 18:40 (3444 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I'm in.

Factions are the way to go.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Friday, April 24, 2015, 18:42 (3444 days ago) @ red robber

Factions is how I've gotten most of my commendations for crucible. I get my characters to level 3 vangaurd and crucible and then focus on factions.

This is just the tutorial level...

by Durandal, Friday, April 24, 2015, 19:23 (3444 days ago) @ CyberKN

Many times the Crucible is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jluv2HxFEqs

There are things you can do to make it better. Situational awareness is the big thing. Unless you are 18 and have the amazing hand/eye coordination (and i've known a few of those guys) you shouldn't just run around expecting to see someone and shoot them.

The maps are designed such that there are few blind corners, and most of the time you can only cover one or two entrances into the area. So you really need to feel out the flow of battle and know where to "expect" enemies to be. Conversely, you can learn somewhat to not be where your opponents expect you to be.

People often recommend staying on the perimeter of the map, and moving from cover point to cover point. This is in part an attempt to control your movement so enemies will always appear in front of you, where you expect them and are looking.

If you both are facing each other, it comes down to who is at the optimum range with the better gun (or whom has Felwinter's lie and a range approaching fusion guns).

If one person sees the other first they have a major advantage. You want to be that person.

I personally like control because players tend to move from point to point more predictably. Clash, Skirmish and the rest are more random because people spawn and move to areas they are comfortable with. This is much harder to predict and guard against people coming up from the rear. Except in Rumble, where there everywhere is dangerous ground and you can bait people in just by standing up.

Well Played.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, April 24, 2015, 19:30 (3444 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 24, 2015, 19:48 (3444 days ago) @ CyberKN

I believe I got mine from a purple engram.

How do I crucible?

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, April 24, 2015, 19:57 (3444 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's okay, I just won't crucible with you. :D

If my internet holds up, I'm in!

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, April 24, 2015, 21:05 (3444 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I apologize in advance because I'm back in Mexico... it's hit or miss

by Up North 65 @, Friday, April 24, 2015, 21:34 (3443 days ago) @ JDQuackers

It'll be the Mexico City Zoo vs The Animal Farm. Winner gets to actively participate while the loser spends his night in loading screens and hard resets of his xbox. Sounds like fun

Rumble it up

by squidnh3, Friday, April 24, 2015, 22:35 (3443 days ago) @ CyberKN

Have you given Rumble a try? I really enjoy it, as it fits my aggressive play style. Plus, the games usually go pretty fast, so you probably get more marks in the same amount of time.

Step 1: Enjoy Destiny PvP

by Kahzgul, Friday, April 24, 2015, 22:45 (3443 days ago) @ CyberKN

Step 2: Have fun
Step 3: Fuck the ????, you're already profiting!

If you don't like PvP in this game (and your post makes it sound like you don't), then the Crucible is going to be a brutal, soul-crushing morass of repetition and grind, with a frustrating RNG-based loot system that seems more like punishment than reward.

That's true about all of Destiny, I think.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, April 24, 2015, 23:25 (3443 days ago) @ Up North 65

It'll be the Mexico City Zoo vs The Animal Farm. Winner gets to actively participate while the loser spends his night in loading screens and hard resets of his xbox. Sounds like fun

Let's hope the menagerie gets along, I haven't played with quacks in a while and he's pretty cool. Not that you aren't.

Horrendous timing!!

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 01:23 (3443 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Xbox live is down for the 360. I'm stuck in a loop of: system update available! Update failed. System update available! Ad nauseum.

Poo bears!

Great solution.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 07:21 (3443 days ago) @ squidnh3

So, in rumble, I usually lose. I get second or third. But, you don't resent anyone for being bad. You don't feel like your team failed you. They are also faster and allow you to have more fun and variety in play style. I legitimately disliked crucible for a little bit, and I'm still only lukewarm on it, but I've been trying to get more marks for a new gun to buy, so I've been telling myself to play some, and rumble is the best way I've found.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread