No ETA for 1.2.0 (Destiny)

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:14 (3330 days ago)

Looks like they discovered a major technical issue with the 1.2.0 update and are working to fix it. No ETA on when it will go out.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/121284248/0/0
Good morning, Guardians (or afternoon or evening, wherever you are).

I've spoken with the finest minds at Bungie about Update 1.2.0 just moments ago. They're working to correct a late-breaking technical issue that would have impacted the way the game launches for a large portion of you. Progress is being made.

We'll be sharing new details on the deployment schedule that leads to House of Wolves as soon as they become facts. At the very least, you'll hear from me once a day about this. Hang in there, and thank you for your patience.

DeeJ, out

Yay for transparency!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:15 (3330 days ago) @ CougRon

This sort of thing is much appreciated.

Yay for transparency!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:18 (3330 days ago) @ CyberKN

Absolutely.

See Bungie? You can fail to keep a promise, and we won't get mad as long as you're honest!
You're learning!

Good stuff. Guess we'll get it with the DLC, which is all the same to me.

Yay for transparency!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:20 (3330 days ago) @ Korny

Absolutely.

See Bungie? You can fail to keep a promise, and we won't get mad as long as you're honest!
You're learning!

I forget, wasn't this patch going to be held until HoW dropped? Downloaded but not activated, that sort of thing?

Yay for transparency!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:23 (3330 days ago) @ CyberKN

Absolutely.

You're learning!

I forget, wasn't this patch going to be held until HoW dropped? Downloaded but not activated, that sort of thing?

What if it can't be fixed in time for HoW? Do they postpone the release? I'm assuming that HoW is dependent on the patch.

Yay for transparency!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:25 (3330 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Absolutely.

You're learning!

What if it can't be fixed in time for HoW? Do they postpone the release? I'm assuming that HoW is dependent on the patch.

I think a lot of the changes in this patch were independent of HoW content (mostly tweaks to crucible rewards and such), so I doubt it would effect the release date. Worst case scenario, this patch drops AFTER HoW is released.

Probably incorrect. HoW may be delayed.

by Earendil, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 16:02 (3330 days ago) @ CyberKN

I think a lot of the changes in this patch were independent of HoW content (mostly tweaks to crucible rewards and such), so I doubt it would effect the release date. Worst case scenario, this patch drops AFTER HoW is released.

I don't think both your statements can be true. Either the patch and HoW is completely independent, and can be released later, or it's not. And based on what has been said, it sounds like HoW relies on 1.2, even if it doesn't rely on all of it.

Software is a real interdependent web that is built and tested as such. It takes lots of time and effort to tear a web in half. They certainly won't tear it in half and test it in one week. Given how transparent DeeJ wants to be, I'm betting there is a significant risk to this delaying HoW.

Yay for transparency!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:43 (3330 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Absolutely.

You're learning!

For things like this you can expect top men to be on it. Top. Men.
If it must be so - there will be no sleep. The crush of a Deadline knows no mercy.

Yay for transparency!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:46 (3330 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

For things like this you can expect top men to be on it. Top. Men.
If it must be so - there will be no sleep. The crush of a Deadline knows no mercy.

Oh I understand. I'm a software engineer myself. Which means I know what deadlines do to people. It changes them. I also don't know how bad this is.

We Have Concerns?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 23:48 (3329 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

They're secretly just trying to hold off the dataminers.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:23 (3330 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

That was my thought as well.

by Warbow, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:25 (3330 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:30 (3330 days ago) @ iconicbanana

[image]

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:32 (3330 days ago) @ CyberKN

[image]

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:33 (3330 days ago) @ iconicbanana

[image]

Yay for transparency!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:29 (3330 days ago) @ CyberKN

Half right: it was going to be held until yesterday and world changes were going to go into effect , but the actual content from HoW wouldn't be activated until 1.2.0.1 which is planned to drop after 10AM PDT next Tuesday.

Yay for transparency!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 16:42 (3330 days ago) @ Xenos

Half right: it was going to be held until yesterday and world changes were going to go into effect , but the actual content from HoW wouldn't be activated until 1.2.0.1 which is planned to drop after 10AM PDT next Tuesday.

Obviously they hadn't said, but I anticipate that the "world changes" that are part of this and were supposed to be activated yesterday include something along the lines of the Blades of Crota that started showing up before TDB (although this time more Fallen-themed, of course).

Yay for transparency!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 16:52 (3330 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Obviously they hadn't said, but I anticipate that the "world changes" that are part of this and were supposed to be activated yesterday include something along the lines of the Blades of Crota that started showing up before TDB (although this time more Fallen-themed, of course).

Maybe they will be adding the mines in fallen locations. Or the weapon that I like to call the "boom stick"

Meanwhile at 343 Industries...

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 16:21 (3330 days ago) @ Korny
edited by UnrealCh13f, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 16:26

You're learning!

The failure/blackEye (Pick One) that was the MCC will stay with them for the lifetime of the studio.

So many angry customers...

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 17:55 (3329 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Many people view 343 as the stepdad that came into the family acting as if he was your real dad. I personally don't share that feeling, but I can see how one might arrive at it.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 18:29 (3329 days ago) @ MacGyver10

Many people view 343 as the stepdad that came into the family acting as if he was your real dad. I personally don't share that feeling, but I can see how one might arrive at it.

I see them more like the stepdad that wanted to impress you, so he came in dressed as Santa and promised to give you all of the presents...but then he just got drunk and threw up all over your Christmas tree instead.

-Disciple

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 10:13 (3329 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I see them more like the stepdad that wanted to impress you, so he came in dressed as Santa and promised to give you all of the presents...but then he just got drunk and threw up all over your Christmas tree instead.

-Disciple

All of this made me laugh too damn hard XD

I will share this video every chance I get.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 11:23 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

-Disciple

All of this made me laugh too damn hard XD

Laugh more!

Oh ho no, Destiny, you're not safe either!

XBOX, SNAP NECKS.

I watched these an hour ago and I'm still giggling XD

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 12:45 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

To be fair, they contracted a lot of that work out.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 18:50 (3329 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

- No text -

To be fair, they contracted a lot of that work out.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 19:08 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

To be fair, if you contract work out and it comes back badly done it's your fault if you pass it on as acceptably good, and it may be your fault for contracting it to crummy workers in the first place.

You're not wrong.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 19:33 (3329 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 19:46 (3329 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

You're learning!

The failure/blackEye (Pick One) that was the MCC will stay with them for the lifetime of the studio.

So many angry customers...

And the worst part is that they're barely acknowledging it as a bad move/failure.

Right up until Launch, they were hyping the crap out of it, KNOWING it was nowhere near ready.

During the launch, they were silent while everyone gave them their money.

Then they acknowledged issues and promised to fix it as soon as possible.

MONTHS later, with the game still broken, they're like "as a thank you to our loving fans" when announcing ODST, instead of acknowledging a mistake. They still tried to spin it as a positive thing, much in the same way they flat-out lied to our face with the "14 Day Buy and Play" garbage.

The difference between Bungie and 343 is that Bungie is learning from their mistakes, while 343 still desperately tries to pretend there WERE no mistakes.

I don't go out of my way to hate 343, but they love throwing fuel into that fire...

The Master Chief Collection is definitely a black eye for us

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 20:39 (3329 days ago) @ Korny

Quoth Frankie.

We’re not going to rest on our laurels or hide from the mistakes we made. However, I will say that the nature of The Master Chief Collection - you’ve got five different game engines, you’ve got five different studios working on it, you’ve got 343 working on putting it all together - the footprint and complexity was outrageous.

To be perfectly honest, there were a lot of things that happened when we got it into a retail environment that we simply didn’t see in a test environment, so that’s what really caught us by surprise. We’ve been sort of scrambling to get it first in a playable stage and now we’re going to get it in a polished stage, so that people are getting what they deserved in the first place. We’re never going to back away from that or shy away from that.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 21:47 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

Quoth Frankie.

We’re not going to rest on our laurels or hide from the mistakes we made. However, I will say that the nature of The Master Chief Collection - you’ve got five different game engines, you’ve got five different studios working on it, you’ve got 343 working on putting it all together - the footprint and complexity was outrageous.

To be perfectly honest, there were a lot of things that happened when we got it into a retail environment that we simply didn’t see in a test environment, so that’s what really caught us by surprise. We’ve been sort of scrambling to get it first in a playable stage and now we’re going to get it in a polished stage, so that people are getting what they deserved in the first place. We’re never going to back away from that or shy away from that.

Yeah, I read that recently, which is why I said they're barely acknowledging it. At this point, calling the MCC a "black eye" nearly half a year after release is kind of putting it lightly with regards to goodwill with customers and community, and the rest of his post is more of the blatant lying that we're familiar with. They imply that in their test environment the game was good to go, when that's clearly not the case given the near-universal issues that plagued the customers (many which persist to this day).

Bungie has acknowledged their mistakes, and they are making drastic leaps and bounds (compared to how they started) to correct them. HoW is essentially Bungie's apology for the Destiny we got, and with that in mind, I'm okay with them stumbling a bit with the update. At least they're trying, and talking to us.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 22:20 (3329 days ago) @ Korny

Bungie has acknowledged their mistakes, and they are making drastic leaps and bounds (compared to how they started) to correct them. HoW is essentially Bungie's apology for the Destiny we got, and with that in mind, I'm okay with them stumbling a bit with the update. At least they're trying, and talking to us.

HoW is essentially Bungie's apology for the Destiny we got, and with that in mind, I'm okay with them stumbling a bit with the update. At least they're trying, and talking to us.

HoW is essentially Bungie's apology for the Destiny we got, and with that in mind, I'm okay with them stumbling a bit with the update.

HoW is essentially Bungie's apology for the Destiny we got

[image]

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 00:36 (3329 days ago) @ Korny

Quoth Frankie.

Yeah, I read that recently, which is why I said they're barely acknowledging it. At this point, calling the MCC a "black eye" nearly half a year after release is kind of putting it lightly with regards to goodwill with customers and community, and the rest of his post is more of the blatant lying that we're familiar with. They imply that in their test environment the game was good to go, when that's clearly not the case given the near-universal issues that plagued the customers (many which persist to this day).

Can you just not be so over-dramatic? please? It's tiring.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 01:09 (3329 days ago) @ General Vagueness

It didn't work and it still doesn't. If you buy a game and can't get into a multiplayer game, then the game is broken pure and simple. There's no understanding to be had, no chances to be given. You've released a broken game. The fact that people are STILL having serious problems, and a sponsored tournament was postponed really makes this a huge deal. These people are supposed to be professionals, and are competing with other AAA games that work.

343 will never get my money again, and I did't even buy MCC!

Not that I disagree, but have you actually played the MCC?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 01:12 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Not that I disagree, but have you actually played the MCC?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 01:19 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Yes I have. How do you think I got all the cutscenes?

(And yes, I tried MP but couldn't get a match. The Halo Channel hardly ever worked right. It sucked.)

Fair enough!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 01:30 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 04:00 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It didn't work and it still doesn't. If you buy a game and can't get into a multiplayer game, then the game is broken pure and simple. There's no understanding to be had, no chances to be given. You've released a broken game. The fact that people are STILL having serious problems, and a sponsored tournament was postponed really makes this a huge deal. These people are supposed to be professionals, and are competing with other AAA games that work.

343 will never get my money again, and I did't even buy MCC!

That's not the point. The point is despite what he said he's been taking a lot of opportunities to put down 343i, since before this happened, and he called the next expansion an apology for Destiny. He consistently overblows things, and it's tiring to run it through the BS filter, because the filter always picks something up, and there's no good action to be taken about it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 06:04 (3329 days ago) @ General Vagueness

and he called the next expansion an apology for Destiny.

I'm not sure i'd go that far. HoW appears to incrementally fix small issues with Destiny, while leaving, and in some cases exacerbating the large ones.

My motivation for it is not strong at all, given the lack of a compelling, raid-like endgame activity. Destiny needs a large scale big picture overhaul:

1. Better story
2. Better characters
3. Better world that feels more alive
4. Better and more story missions
5. More multiplayer modes
6. More unique and diverse end game challenges. A lot more.
7. Elimination of RNG based progression

House of Wolves addresses none of this, and actually gives us end game activities that are far less compelling than a raid. The ability to ascend old gear is nothing but another ploy to make you work the investment system and give you something to 'do'. It is not for your benefit even though you think it is.

Comet absolutely needs to kick serious ass. An apology would be addressing all 7 of these issues head on.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 06:16 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The ability to ascend old gear is nothing but another ploy to make you work the investment system and give you something to 'do'. It is not for your benefit even though you think it is.

And so the alternative, that you now have to level up new gear and just forget that old shit you liked, is better?

I get that you're saying everything should just auto-level up to the max, and that there shouldn't BE damage and armor ratings, but you're looking at this strict improvement over the current system and going "Hm, no, no this isn't enough of an improvement for my tastes, therefore it's bad".

It's a valid complaint to say that something isn't enough of a fix, but it's always an odd one to make. And I don't think this time is really a great opportunity to make it.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 20:15 (3328 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 20:23

and he called the next expansion an apology for Destiny.

I'm not sure i'd go that far.
[...]
An apology would be addressing all 7 of these issues head on.

*sigh*
The point is more the idea there even needs to be an apology, and how that idea is overblowing things.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 10:20 (3329 days ago) @ Korny

I don't have specific details, and I couldn't share them even if I did, but everything I've heard backs up the notion that 343 genuinely believed they were shipping a working game when MCC launched. The fact that it was broken really did take them by complete surprise.

Which is concerning for a whole other reason. How is it possible in this day and age to get all the way up to release, thinking your game works perfectly, only to be hit by such a surprise?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 10:52 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't have specific details, and I couldn't share them even if I did, but everything I've heard backs up the notion that 343 genuinely believed they were shipping a working game when MCC launched. The fact that it was broken really did take them by complete surprise.

Which would have been one thing, but what they should have done is immediately acknowledge it, and issue a statement advising people not to buy the game, or at least keep them updated with a list of reported issues that they were going to address.
What they did was try their best to sweep it under the rug by changing the subject at every chance and by pantomiming concern (and trying to play it safe money-wise by delaying an already-finished game, Spartan Strike).... And the second the Halo 5 Beta got near, they shoved that down everyone's throats (sure didn't delay that, did they?).

Crap happens, especially when you cobble three different games together in a short time-frame. But when it happens, the decent thing to do is own up to it and do everything you can to fix it, not take months and months while trying to shift the focus away.

Which is concerning for a whole other reason. How is it possible in this day and age to get all the way up to release, thinking your game works perfectly, only to be hit by such a surprise?

It's impossible that they could look at a project worked on by a ton of different studios and think to themselves "nothing could go wrong!", and if anyone thought that, they need to get fired, because they clearly have competence issues. The game simply wasn't finished. "Working product" is NOT "finished product", and I find it extremely hard to believe that they didn't forsee something going wrong (heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on excuses and damage control once the game hit the deadline.)

But again, the issue is communication and honesty, above all else.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 12:57 (3329 days ago) @ Korny

Which would have been one thing, but what they should have done is immediately acknowledge it, and issue a statement advising people not to buy the game, or at least keep them updated with a list of reported issues that they were going to address.
What they did was try their best to sweep it under the rug by changing the subject at every chance and by pantomiming concern (and trying to play it safe money-wise by delaying an already-finished game, Spartan Strike).... And the second the Halo 5 Beta got near, they shoved that down everyone's throats (sure didn't delay that, did they?).

The Halo 5 dev team is a completely different group from the team working on MCC. There is no way Microsoft or 343 would let another title derail their plans for Halo 5.

What I DO have a problem with is 343 opening Halo 5 preorders in December, when MCC was still a flaming wreck. Beyond that, they were even promoting and selling a collector's edition without telling fans what would be included with it. THAT is full-blown exploitation of the fan-base. "We don't have to ship games that are good, we don't have to ship games that work... Hell, we don't even need to tell them what they are paying extra for! Just put Halo on the box and people will buy it! MUAHAHAHA!"

Watch this Delay HOW

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 16:23 (3330 days ago) @ CougRon

Watch,

They will delay HoW! Or it will release and break everything.

Watch this Delay HOW

by Durandal, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 16:30 (3330 days ago) @ TheeChaos

They are probably version locked and can't release HoW until this patch clears the delivery pipe.

^ My concern. Time to get patch approved by console makers.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 18:32 (3329 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Still no patch but the preview video is in the director

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 19:09 (3329 days ago) @ CougRon
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 19:12

- No text -

Rumors of TDB maps showing up in main crucible playlist

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 19:38 (3329 days ago) @ CougRon

claims to have played Pantheon in the main crucible playlist
Anyone able to confirm?

Played a lot of control. No new maps.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 23:07 (3328 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Daily update:

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 15:11 (3329 days ago) @ CougRon

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/121284248/0/0

05/14/2015: Solutions for technical issues that have delayed the delivery of updates have been identified. Work is ongoing and we'll release the new content and the Patch Notes as soon as we can. Stand by for more information on timing.

Meanwhile, the official destiny twitter account just tweeted that the launch date is still 5/19, so it looks like this won't impact that date.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread