I silver'd a public event for the first time in a long time. (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 15:17 (3326 days ago)

And I'm not even mad.

Took a break from Bloodborne to try out some of the Queen's bounties, and like many of you, it has led to some... interesting experiences.

-Be me.
-Be at ember caves in Venus.
-Waiting for wolves to drop so I can finish this last dang queen bounty.
-Wolves Drop. Two other players with me mop them up fast.
-MFW Surprisingly, they DON'T pick up scorch cannons right away
[image]
-Public event pops up on screen whilst fighting wolves.
-I need one more public event to complete my 3 gold public event bounties.
-Public event is defeat extraction crews.
-Psh. I solo that all the time easy. I got this.
-First extraction area goes quick.
-Second extraction area goes sloppy, I spam rockets erry where, keeping eye on wolves battle.
-Third and final extraction is in close proximity to the wolves battle.
-"Sweet" I think to myself, surely this will be a 2 birds 1 stone outcome.
-Problem. Enemies from patrol area have migrated towards my post.
-Taking fire on 3 sides, try to stay alive. All out of rockets, Ruin Wings defective.
-See on my screen that bounty for Wolves target achieved- I didn't shoot him, but proximity nets me the kill.
-Awesome.
-Ether key warning pops up, 3rd one I've done, yet to get a chest. Really want the dang chest.
-Almost dead from patrol enemies at this point, back off, trying to kill public event enemies.
-Scramble to watch where teammates went, see if they found chest.
-One guy can't find it, one asshat who did doesn't share where it was.
-15 seconds left on chest timer.
-15 seconds left on extraction crew timer.
-SHIT.
-Spot chest, other side of map.
-SHIT.
-Hop on sparrow, fly to chest, open it with 3 seconds to spare.
-Spin around like Nart, try to pull off clutch headshots on last few enemies at extraction site
-Two headshots and two dead dregs at site.
-Me feelin pretty baller, thinking I pulled it off
-Timer goes off, no reward pops...
-Whh what?
-See a lone dreg pop out from fallen extractor-do hickey thing.
-::Dinkebot:: "IT'S OK, WE'LL GET THE NEXT ONE"
-Dreg mocks me, fades into background.
-Next time, indeed.

I failed, and I enjoyed it immensely. I was forced to make a choice, and tried to get both rewards, but failed. Had I managed my ammo better, I probably would have succeeded. Maybe If I had spotted the chest earlier, I would have had more time to finish the event. But I didn't, and it was great.

I know this will wear off, as I learn where the wolves drop every time, and the possible spots the chests spawn at. Then it will become routine again and the fun will fade, but in this one instance, I had to choose, and I very nearly lost BOTH rewards. If I didn't have that public event bounty, I would have just focused on the wolves, because one shard\energy from the event wouldn't be worth the shot at a fallen chest, normally.

More of this, Bungie.

Make it harder.

Fuck the crybabies.

Add greater risks to the encounters, make people want to do both.

Make it so they can't, on their own.

Split the fire team. "You keep the wolves busy while we take down that walker! Try to land a shot from afar if you can"

More of this. Make us make choices. Add the possibility of failure.

The possibility of failure almost always equals the certainty of fun.

Other musings, if anyone cares.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 15:32 (3326 days ago) @ Revenant1988

In no particular order, random thoughts I've had while waiting for Wolves.

-In my mind I pretend the Wolves are pirates, returning to the planet to recover their buried treasure. Which is why I get a "key" to their chest when I kill them. Robbing pirates is fun.

-There is NO way Bungie intended us to be able to open an ether chest more than once per encounter. This will get patched soooo fast.

-Heavy pike was fun to use on Fallen wolves and walker. Nice to give those assholes a taste of their own mines. Other than that, I won't be sad if I never ride one again. I tried it, and it's a pike, that is heavy. Not really "special" like I was hoping.

-I bet the heavy pike would be fun to bring on an Arc nightfall. I wonder if I could get it to Phogoth in one piece, if there is one on the moon...

-How do I hold all these blue engrams?

-Scorch cannon is amusing, stupid teammates use it way too early most times.

-Sticking an enemy with it, charging it, and then watching them launch into the air fills me with glee.

-Watching players find an ether chest, then flock away from it and flock back before the timer expires is interesting to watch.

-Most players point out where the chests are, only a few don't, which I'm assuming is so they have more time to speed away and open it again.

-Awoken girl in the tower has some cool dialogue.Mentions betrayal of the Awoken, and to talk to Zavalla about it. *Remembers Zavalla is Awoken* Hmmmmmm.

-When wolves get "Frenzied" I get worried because I've played too much Bloodborne and Frenzy means something else to me there.

-Eris seems out of place suddenly.

-Where are the blades of Crota? I still have yet to get a husk of the pit.

-Will there be a day when there is a sword of crota, pack of wolves, and a public event all in one place? Will I be there to see it's glory?

-Sky watch mega battles are even more fun now.

-Rahool is still a little bitch, glad he's getting left in the tower.

-I wonder if we could see an event where one Fallen house was fighting another Fallen house. wolves v winter, for example.

That's all for now. Hope everyone is having fun, and making mad engrams.

Ether Key patch is tomorrow (possibly)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 18:37 (3325 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Or at least, there's some kind of unscheduled, pre-1.2.0.1 patch according to help.bungie.net, and I bet that's what it is.

Ether Key patch is tomorrow (possibly)

by petetheduck, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:06 (3325 days ago) @ someotherguy

Or at least, there's some kind of unscheduled, pre-1.2.0.1 patch according to help.bungie.net, and I bet that's what it is.

Yup, there is some serious hard core farming going on right now.

I have so many blue engrams and planetary mats.

You people are why we can't have "nice" things.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:07 (3325 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

I HAVE TOO MANY NICE THINGS

by petetheduck, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:14 (3325 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I am spoiled in riches. Max glimmer, 400 spinmetal, 300 spirit bloom, 200 helium filaments, a maxed vault and a mule character 95% full in engrams.

The community is loving this. I agree it should be fixed but everyone is having a great time hauling in the goods at the moment.

I approve all exploits found and exploited.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:19 (3325 days ago) @ petetheduck

The real antagonism of Destiny is the war between Bungie and the user base.

Long live the rebel alliance! Down with Emperor Jones!

I have all the nice things except one…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:32 (3325 days ago) @ petetheduck

…that I want the most :-(

Calm, mediated emotions regarding video games?

by Funkmon @, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:25 (3325 days ago) @ Cody Miller

:P

FATALITY

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:25 (3325 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

My titan has an Iron deficiency in his diet. PRO TIP

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:37 (3325 days ago) @ petetheduck

600+ spin metal
600+ blooms
600+ helium
67 Iron.

Spare character is full of engrams.

Primary character is almost full.

Vault also close to being full.

I have more special ammo than I know what to do with, taking up vaulable space.

I can't earn anymore money.

I can't SPEND money to waste on ammo.

I'm going to create a 3rd character real quick, load it with things I can't use, and delete it.

--------------------------------

Seriously this is pretty fun. I don't feel like I'm farming, I feel like I'm racing against the clock.

For some reason, this feels very different than the loot caves of old to me.

PRO-TIP I know some of you are getting 4 pulls at Skywatch, but I'm getting 4-5 almost every time on Venus.

Stay in ember caves until you trigger the wolves. Once you finish them off, you should be able to get that chest at least twice, maybe 3 times. Then RUN YO ASS over to the citadel, it is right next door, and another wolf drop is going on there, every time. Another opportunity to get 2-3 pulls.

The most I've had in a 20 min period is 6 chests.

Yet I still have only had 3 Treasure keys drop. They seem pretty darn rare for me.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:40 (3325 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I've done the Ember Caves to Citadel run that you described. One thing I've found is that if the timer for Ember Caves is still running when they kill the boss in Citadel, you won't get a key for the Citadel chest. Make sure the timer has run out before he's dead.

This Pro Tip

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:26 (3325 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Is the most Pro of all Tips. 5 chest opens in 10 minutes. I am the king of chests.

Not the king of keys sadly. I've only ever even seen 3. 2 of them are mine though :)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 21:09 (3325 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I was just thinking, what if all HoW weapons and armor required relic iron to level? That would be some quality trolling by Bungie.

But...but...I haven't had this much fun in Destiny in months

by Monochron, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:32 (3325 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Seriously, see my post to the OP. Farming these chests is the coolest multiplayer fun I have had in Destiny. It's neat, competitive, and occasionally challenging. I love it...

It makes me miss looking for the GOLD chests.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:39 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

Maybe they could add a chest at the end of every boss fight, strike run etc. Same thing, put a timer on it, and some sweet sweet loot.

I enjoy the hunt more than the content, to be honest.

I like the chase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It makes me miss looking for the GOLD chests.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 19:43 (3325 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I think this is Bungie's payback for all the complaining we did about having to farm chests.

You haven't had fun yet...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:02 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

Seriously, see my post to the OP. Farming these chests is the coolest multiplayer fun I have had in Destiny. It's neat, competitive, and occasionally challenging. I love it...

Unless you have hunted with 6. Who here want's to play VOG... but not play VOG? ;)
We shall hunt... and it will be glorious.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

[image]

This sounds like a blast!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 22:42 (3325 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

You haven't had fun yet...

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:15 (3325 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Did this last night a few times with a bunch of DBO's
-Lichtonatus
-Rev
-Cyber-KN
-Munky
-Destroyo
-Guardian513

Had a ball, probably one of my top 3 destiny moments so far. Hate that it's going to get patched over.

Sparrow Racing is amazing.

Double and Triple chest pulls are insane mashups of sparrow crashing and yelling.

CC

Here is what the patch should change

by Monochron, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:34 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

• First of all, don't remove the multiple pulls at each chest.
  • Reduce the quantity of drops in the chests:
    • Two+ blue engrams per chest is a bit crazy. Make the likelyhood of a blue engram about 3 times as likely as a legendary engram drop.
    • One planetary mat per chest. 40% chance to drop 3 planetary mats. %10 chance to drop 10 planetary mats.
    • 50 Glimmer per chest? I'm not exactly sure about this one, use whatever percentage makes this match what farming for Glimmer in the Exclusion Zone or in the Dark Beyond mission yields. I would much rather farm these chests for glimmer than the other two methods mentioned.
  • IFF they don't want players to have as many Treasure keys as it looks like will happen . . . then they can reduce that frequency as well. Still don't know exactly how these work though so it's hard for me to say.

I wonder if these chests will go away after the Queen's Wrath ends (will it end this time?) IFF there is an issue with Bungie not wanting players to have so many keys then they could shut off chest spawns (or remove the keys from chests) after the Queen's Wrath ends. In fact, this would make the Queen's Wrath THAT MUCH more fun. You get to farm for a shit ton of keys while it is happening. Then after a week you can't farm it for keys anymore. You would have to play PoE and get your keys by beating bosses until the next Queen's Wrath comes around and you get extra dips into the loot pool.

Please Bungie. I wants.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:40 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

That would mean I would have to exploit level load zones to get a decent chance at drops... Not just me, of course, but anyone who doesn't know the right trick. All of them get less reward because some have figured out an exploit?

by Monochron, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:47 (3325 days ago) @ Ragashingo

That would mean I would have to exploit level load zones to get a decent chance at drops... Not just me, of course, but anyone who doesn't know the right trick. All of them get less reward because some have figured out an exploit?

That's a good point. I guess I'm coming at it from the perspective of the load zone trick making the experience significantly more fun. Others may disagree but I think it is a fantastic gameplay mechanic.

Bungie could formalize the trick by spawning a waypoint at the load zone after the chest has been opened. Call that way point "Reactivate fount" or something, and rename the "Ether Chest" to "Ether Fount". Then the player has to go to the load zone to "reactive" the fount which continues to pour out treasure. It could use some polish, but I definitely think it is possible.

+1 Keep the fun of the (individual) sparrow race!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:32 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

- No text -

Just drop the multiple openings

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:46 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

It's an exploit, and what's messing with the loot drop frequency. It's what will be patched, and what should be patched.

If you want the fun of running to try and catch it multiple times, just run to the load zones and back even though it does nothing, see how you do. It'll time it for you and everything, the only difference is instead of holding X when you get to the chest, you shout base!

by Monochron, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:48 (3325 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

should be patched.

I am of the opinion that fun things should not be patched out. If you can find a way to adjust the rewards so that everything gels, you should do that.

chest exploit?

by Raflection, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:50 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

I have no idea what this is about, I've not played destiny since the patch dl'd and really feel I'm missing out a great deal :(

chest exploit?

by Monochron, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:56 (3325 days ago) @ Raflection

This thread explains it mostly.

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=69461

Basically, the chests that show up as rewards for beating the new public event can be opened multiple times by re-loading the area.

Thank you! :'D

by Raflection, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 21:43 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 20:58 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

should be patched.

I am of the opinion that fun things should not be patched out. If you can find a way to adjust the rewards so that everything gels, you should do that.

Perhaps they should just make it so you don't need to cross the loading zones. Just beat the boss, find the chest, and hold X over and over and over and over... Now that sounds like a blast!

by Monochron, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 21:04 (3325 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Perhaps they should just make it so you don't need to cross the loading zones. Just beat the boss, find the chest, and hold X over and over and over and over... Now that sounds like a blast!

I know your being sarcastic, but it also sounds like you are disregarding the actual fun of a sparrow race through tight corridors. If you don't think racing sparrows that way sounds fun, then you don't have to participate but, like I said below, this is the most uniquely fun thing I have done in Destiny in a long time. And that's just with randoms. It is even better with a pre-made fireteam. It is the kind of fun that Bungie has been telling us about for almost a year.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 21:40 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

It is the kind of fun that Bungie has been telling us about for almost a year.

This is where we actually disagree. I'm all for you having your fun racing and wouldn't at all mind if this inspired some future race elements to make their way into Patrol. I'm all for it right up until it gets to the point where you start setting up the "Bungie hates fun" narrative. Just recognize the race for what it is, a self-made activity that relies on a level load exploit that will probably soon be fixed, and don't try to make it something bigger that it actually is.

by Monochron, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 22:31 (3325 days ago) @ Ragashingo

where you start setting up the "Bungie hates fun" narrative.

What.
I have never, I will not, suggest that. I think I see where the confusion started though, I'm definitely not going to be going on any kind of "Bungie removes all the fun from my game" tirade. I just honestly thought they knew about this exploit and did not intend to do anything about it. Come tomorrow we will see.

Just recognize the race for what it is, a self-made activity that relies on a level load exploit that will probably soon be fixed, and don't try to make it something bigger that it actually is.

I think I lost you here. Why are you telling me to recognize it? Everything I've said about it are my true opinions.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 21:08 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

How's this patching out the fun thing?

If it's that much fun, just run the race anyways!

Who actually cares about whether or not you get rewards for each successful "lap"? Not the people who got tons o' fun from running those laps, I'd wager. They might be slightly disappointed that they get less rewards, or that their speed doesn't matter as much, but the activity should still be fun if they really just liked the racing that much.

The people who got enjoyment principally from the rewards themselves, or from just gaming the system, would probably get bored of it soon enough anyways.

by Monochron, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 21:21 (3325 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

In general, competitive things can be fun because you are racing for a goal or a "win".

Who actually cares about whether or not you get rewards for each successful "lap"? Not the people who got tons o' fun from running those laps, I'd wager. They might be slightly disappointed that they get less rewards, or that their speed doesn't matter as much, but the activity should still be fun if they really just liked the racing that much.

Sprinters don't race if no one is going to win. There has to be some kind of goal and if you get nothing real for the additional skill required then often people won't bother to get better. The additional openings are the "prizes" for your work and skill. It's why most PvP matches have a "winner".

And this is somewhat unique because each lap doesn't guarantee you anything. So yeah, people don't care much about the blue engrams and plan. mats.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 21:24 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

In general, competitive things can be fun because you are racing for a goal or a "win".

And this isn't competitive? You're not trying to get more laps than Joe Whatshisface... Are you?

Sprinters don't race if no one is going to win. There has to be some kind of goal

I dispute both of these assertions.

by Monochron, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 22:51 (3325 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

And this isn't competitive? You're not trying to get more laps than Joe Whatshisface... Are you?

Sure, it feels great to beat the people I am playing with. Then when we go about our business I can dance right up in there face to rub it in :D
But I think we agree, the fun is in the completion similar to how PvP games wouldn't be much fun if their was no completion. Without any kind of visible progress...eh it's not fun. We play simulated games for simulated success.

Sprinters don't race if no one is going to win. There has to be some kind of goal

I dispute both of these assertions.

I don't know, is my point really not clear? Playing to win is a huge motivation. In games, in life, in whatever. Playing to win is great motivation and is fun as hell.

Though it's a bit dramatic, this Vince Lombardi quote kind of sums up the idea:
"we will chase perfection . . . knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."

I think there's an important point you're missing here

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 17, 2015, 23:36 (3325 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

It's just not that simple. With the chests, everyone has a clear start/finish mark, as well as a timer. Without it, randomly getting people to race with you is almost impossible.

Well, he did say it was more fun when in a fireteam :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 23:49 (3325 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, May 18, 2015, 00:17 (3325 days ago) @ ZackDark

Well, I'd meant just running for the chest anyways-- exact same procedure, even though you don't get the rewards for it.

There'd been a slight disconnect-- In all my time running these, it's never looked or felt like I was racing the others, just the clock.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, May 18, 2015, 10:28 (3325 days ago) @ ZackDark

It's just not that simple. With the chests, everyone has a clear start/finish mark, as well as a timer. Without it, randomly getting people to race with you is almost impossible.

Our group didn't "race" competitively, but we did have some cool collisions while rushing back to the chest.

I sent Korny flying once, and had others do it to me. SomeOtherGuy just likes to park his sparrow where ever, you know? ;)

Side note, the rainbow of colors from sparrow drives was neat. Not everyone was using timebreaker!

Who are you, the parking warden? :p

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 18, 2015, 10:42 (3325 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Besides, most of the time it was too busy exploding to park it at all ^_^

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:09 (3325 days ago) @ someotherguy

This was hilarious last night, seeing everyone race from chest opening out and then back again. I got tripped up twice by sparrow pileups back at the chest and almost lost my second pull from the chest both times.

Hunting with that team of 6 last night was absolutely the most fun I have had during Destiny so far.

CC

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:23 (3325 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

Did both fireteams end up in the same instance? If so that would be a blast! I don't understand why Bungie doesn't allow larger fireteams in Patrol when an area can certainly handle 6+ randoms...

Fireteam of 6, ignoring the VoG

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:26 (3325 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Fireteam of 6, ignoring the VoG

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:35 (3325 days ago) @ someotherguy

Saw reports on b.net that confirmed what we learned too late last night- since we were in a group of 6 for the vault, the servers were less inclined to make randoms appear in the public spaces, you know, because it assumed we'd be doing the vault.

So essentially, no randoms would load into our instance at say, citadel while we'd be at the caves and vice versa.

This is why it worked when Speedracer stayed at citadel while we were at ember caves- he was there to trigger the event. If no one is present, nothing needs to load.

Boooo.

We would have had to split.

Personally, I had more fun with 6 of us waiting longer in between events than I did when we had 3 and we had the pattern down.

This exploit is a lot like the last Queen's Wrath exploit.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 21:42 (3325 days ago) @ Monochron

In the last Queen's Wrath, the missions dropped an inordinately high number of legendary items. Rather than removing the items from the pool, they simply didn't let you break them down for ascendant currency. They removed it because it was an unintended exploit to the currency of the game. I don't expect them to keep this, because I don't think they intended it. It's a bug. Enjoy it while it exists.

If ATM's all started spewing money, we'd all be grateful for the chance at a hastily snatched $80 that only came at the price of breaking some old lady's jaw in the melee around the malfunctioning device. Be grateful for what you've got, it's fun because we know it won't last.

The $80 was the fun part, not punching grandma, you sicko.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 23:49 (3325 days ago) @ iconicbanana

If ATM's all started spewing money, we'd all be grateful for the chance at a hastily snatched $80 that only came at the price of breaking some old lady's jaw in the melee around the malfunctioning device. Be grateful for what you've got, it's fun because we know it won't last.

That's still not even close to a fair analogy. Hyperbole to Nth...

Also... "it's fun because you know it won't last"?!? What kind of antilogic is that? It's FUN because racing rocket bikes through tight spaces for a chance at a reward, IS FUN. If there's no reward, or even a CHANCE of a reward, you absolutely will NOT see randoms racing through the level. Even if the "reward" is beating everyone else back to the start, if there's no way to KNOW that then there's no incentive.

I agree with the "tweak the drop %'s" if anything, but leave the level-load "glitch". It's the most fun I've had in Patrols in ... ever.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, May 18, 2015, 00:03 (3325 days ago) @ Mid7night

Also... "it's fun because you know it won't last"?!? What kind of antilogic is that? It's FUN because racing rocket bikes through tight spaces for a chance at a reward, IS FUN. If there's no reward, or even a CHANCE of a reward, you absolutely will NOT see randoms racing through the level. Even if the "reward" is beating everyone else back to the start, if there's no way to KNOW that then there's no incentive.

I agree with the "tweak the drop %'s" if anything, but leave the level-load "glitch". It's the most fun I've had in Patrols in ... ever.

The real solution is to get rid of the glitch and make something similar but have it be a supported part of the game. You don't adjust drop rates and whatever else to account for a glitch that only some of your player base knows about, you make a new mission type with UI and obvious objectives that everyone will enjoy taking part in.

This. Or at least leave it as is.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 18, 2015, 00:18 (3325 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

This is a more than fair option, I'd say

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, May 18, 2015, 00:29 (3325 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, May 18, 2015, 00:24 (3325 days ago) @ Mid7night

Woosh much?

Surprisingly refreshing

by Monochron, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 17:46 (3325 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I failed, and I enjoyed it immensely. I was forced to make a choice, and tried to get both rewards, but failed. Had I managed my ammo better, I probably would have succeeded. Maybe If I had spotted the chest earlier, I would have had more time to finish the event. But I didn't, and it was great.

I know this will wear off, as I learn where the wolves drop every time, and the possible spots the chests spawn at. Then it will become routine again and the fun will fade, but in this one instance, I had to choose, and I very nearly lost BOTH rewards. If I didn't have that public event bounty, I would have just focused on the wolves, because one shard\energy from the event wouldn't be worth the shot at a fallen chest, normally.

More of this, Bungie.

These public events have really added something to Destiny that I didn't expect. I'm getting the same feeling of camaraderie as I did farming at our Lord and Cavior months ago. It's a great feeling to develop a rythm with randoes and then race each other to see who can farm the chest with the most success. Having a Titan who always pops a bubble in the back for armor and silently designating two guys to hold on to the Scorch cannons for maximum blasting during the last round is really really fun. Fun I never expected to have running into random people on a server.

Good on ya' Bungie.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread