Teasure Keys (sp?) (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 22:56 (3326 days ago)

From IGN via Reddit:

So the word is there's a loot chest at the end of PoE. It requires a Treasure Key to open.

First time final boss kill of the week in PoE is a guaranteed Teasure Key drop. Second time, boss drops nothing. But if you happen to have gathered a Teasure Key from somewhere else, you can get loot that second time through.

If all this is true, it is a pretty cool mechanic for bypassing the weekly loot lockout that we're used to with the Raids.

Nice

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, May 18, 2015, 00:31 (3326 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'd love if this turned out to be the case; still rate-limits end-game gear drops, but allows some flexibility for those who want to invest the extra time.

Now about how to get those damn Keys. I'm convinced I'm doing something wrong with the Wolves world events… I'm 40+ chests in at this point between XB1 and PS4, and I have yet to see a Key drop for anyone in my group.

You have to open the chest 5 times before the countdown ru..

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, May 18, 2015, 00:36 (3326 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Aaaaand missed it again

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 18, 2015, 00:50 (3326 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Nice

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, May 18, 2015, 00:56 (3326 days ago) @ Beorn

They're just rare, not really any tricks to them.

I've only received one.

I still only have one as well, and I ran quite a lot

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:53 (3325 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

- No text -

Similar boat here...

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, May 18, 2015, 01:17 (3326 days ago) @ Beorn

I've seen 25-30 chests. I saw one guy get a key once. It announces it just like a legendary engram.

Also I should note that I got my very first legendary engram drop via a purple globe since February over the weekend. Seems like that was too long a stretch.

Similar boat here...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:41 (3325 days ago) @ slycrel

I've seen 25-30 chests. I saw one guy get a key once. It announces it just like a legendary engram.

Also I should note that I got my very first legendary engram drop via a purple globe since February over the weekend. Seems like that was too long a stretch.

Congratulations! :) I just need to say this... I had one drop over the weekend in skywatch when I soloed a pack of wolves while the enemy forces were moving against each other. Loads of fun. I can think of at least 4 purple engrams that have dropped for me on patrol, & 1 decoded into a legendary. :D

My Haul for the day

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, May 18, 2015, 02:30 (3326 days ago) @ Beorn

I farmed all day today, opened easily over 100 chests myself.

I finished the day with 6 keys ^_^

Also,

1400 spirit blooms
600 spin metal
600 helium

1 mule character I spun up, ran first level with and filled with engrams, all slots, 56.

My hunter also full of engrams, 50.

My Titan and vault are also full, but I'm too sleepy to get the precise numbers.

Oh, and my postmaster is half full.

I had a good day.

Crikey!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, May 18, 2015, 02:35 (3326 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

So... this?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, May 18, 2015, 02:52 (3326 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I farmed all day today, opened easily over 100 chests myself.

I finished the day with 6 keys ^_^

Also,

1400 spirit blooms
600 spin metal
600 helium

1 mule character I spun up, ran first level with and filled with engrams, all slots, 56.

My hunter also full of engrams, 50.

My Titan and vault are also full, but I'm too sleepy to get the precise numbers.

Oh, and my postmaster is half full.

I had a good day.

[image]

Also... totally off topic.

This.

[image]

Have a fine evening gentleman. ಠ_ರೃ

HOLY MOLY

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, May 18, 2015, 03:19 (3326 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

It's 'cause Rev has them all

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 18, 2015, 02:34 (3326 days ago) @ Beorn

6 so far. Though to be fair we all had a good haul between us today. I got 4, Destroyo has 2, Speedracer got 2 and Cyber got one. God knows how many Korny snagged.

Unfortunately it turns out running as a 6 in "The Vault of Glass" prevents the wolves on The Citadel and Ember Caves from spawning normally, but it was too fun to stop and do it the more efficient way.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, May 18, 2015, 02:43 (3326 days ago) @ someotherguy

Unfortunately it turns out running as a 6 in "The Vault of Glass" prevents the wolves on The Citadel and Ember Caves from spawning normally, but it was too fun to stop and do it the more efficient way.

It does? We did this yesterday and didn't have any problems!

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 18, 2015, 02:48 (3326 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, we couldn't get them to both Spawn at the same time, kill one group then catch the tail end of the other. We think it was because there's six of us - we'd have to get matched into an area with room for all of us, which more often than not was one with no one else in, so there was no ongoing event in progress.

The one time Speedracer stayed in the Citadel to keep an eye, they spawned normally, but he missed out on a chest. We should probably have taken it in turns to miss one, but we were coming to the end of our run by then and didn't really care.

Teasure Keys (sp?)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 18, 2015, 02:49 (3326 days ago) @ petetheduck

If all this is true, it is a pretty cool mechanic for bypassing the weekly loot lockout that we're used to with the Raids.

I don't think so at all. If there's no longer a hard lockout, why bother with the chest farming? Just make the boss drop a key every time you kill him. Same effect, less frustration. More fun.

A thought

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, May 18, 2015, 03:14 (3326 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Making the keys available in the public spaces incentivizes players to spend time there and adds value and variation to the areas that we've grown accustomed to.

That was the best thing...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, May 18, 2015, 03:45 (3326 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by Korny, Monday, May 18, 2015, 03:48

Making the keys available in the public spaces incentivizes players to spend time there and adds value and variation to the areas that we've grown accustomed to.

We were having a blast as a six-person group running around, doing Public Events, bounties, and assassinations, followed by the mad race to get multiple dips while trying to avoid wrecking into one another. That to me was far more fun than those areas have ever given us. Sometimes we would get a public event at the same time as an assassination, and we'd have to plan and juggle the events at the same time.

I spent hours and hours farming the different locations, and always had fun, even with Randoms that would show up (we'd wordlessly coordinate, point out chests, then wait together. Haven't seen that since the Loot Cave days).

Heck, we even ran into oddities because of the events overlapping at times (Video of one of those to come soon).

Of course, some people who want all rewards handed to them on a silver platter might only focus on the treasure keys and the ease of obtaining them, but I just saw it as a fun time. Heck, the farming cost me a bunch of Raid weapons and exotics that I had in the postmaster, but I'd say it was definitely worth it just on fun alone.

DLC ain't even out and it's given me money's worth.

Agreed. I'm having fun in helping and being helped by others

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, May 18, 2015, 04:09 (3326 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 18, 2015, 04:10 (3326 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, May 18, 2015, 04:16

Of course, some people who want all rewards handed to them on a silver platter might only focus on the treasure keys and the ease of obtaining them, but I just saw it as a fun time. Heck, the farming cost me a bunch of Raid weapons and exotics that I had in the postmaster, but I'd say it was definitely worth it just on fun alone.

That's interesting, because I've already had enough, and I haven't even done day 6. You're not doing anything new… you're just killing the same old dudes in the same old areas. The kill bounties aren't even really that challenging. Once the newness wears off, it's just… more of the same. It's just defeat the extraction crews with a chest at the end.

+1 More of the same. The same is fun as butts, but the same.

by Funkmon @, Monday, May 18, 2015, 04:18 (3326 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, May 18, 2015, 04:22 (3326 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by RaichuKFM, Monday, May 18, 2015, 04:25

This whole game has been an interesting example of one thing in particular:

Content repetition can be very, very fun, and it can be very, very dull. And, obviously, things in between.

It's all about how you go about it, and just how you enjoy things in the first place.

Clearly Korny's having a lot of fun with this stuff because it's letting him hang around with friends and friendly randoms while just enjoying the core gameplay, and having the silly chest racing.

Maybe you're not playing it the right way to "savor" the experience or maybe you've had poor randoms or maybe you just don't like this thing at all, or probably it's that you've played it too much in too little time, but that doesn't mean everyone's burnt out on it like that.

And it doesn't mean everyone loves it, either, of course.

Shrug.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, May 18, 2015, 04:26 (3326 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's interesting, because I've already had enough, and I haven't even done day 6. You're not doing anything new… you're just killing the same old dudes in the same old areas. The kill bounties aren't even really that challenging. Once the newness wears off, it's just… more of the same. It's just defeat the extraction crews with a chest at the end.

implying that you can only have fun if something is completely new.

It isn't what you're doing, it's how you do it, and with who.

I did it with Randoms, and had a blast.
I did it with a fireteam, and had a blast.
I did it with a raid team, and had a blast.
I did it with a friend's group that I've never met, and had a blast.

I did it During a public event,
I did it while enemies moved against each other.
I did it solo.
I did it with five other Randoms.
I did it with a heavy pike.
I did it as a Warlock with Hawkmoon.
I did it as a Titan with 4th Horseman.

All those times gave me a different experience, even though we were ostensibly doing the same thing each time.

And that's without the chest drops, which were only secondary in terms of what I was getting out of it. Once, while on the moon, we looked and looked for the chest, only to find it in the last 15 seconds far above us on the Accelerator, with no time to get to it. We laughed at the ridiculousness of the placement and watched it disappear, before rushing off to fight the next bounty.

If you only focus on the carrot, you're going to miss everything else around you.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 18, 2015, 05:04 (3326 days ago) @ Korny

If you only focus on the carrot, you're going to miss everything else around you.

Where did I talk about the rewards at all? The actual bounties are not that much fun. Yes, it's better with people, but you are again, doing the same shit you always do. It's easy and boring. IF you can do it 8 times that's fine, but I'd like some variety and challenge, something this expansion is going to need given no raid, which would provide that in spades.

If you had a blast, then I wish I was as easily amused.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, May 18, 2015, 05:55 (3326 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Where did I talk about the rewards at all? The actual bounties are not that much fun. Yes, it's better with people, but you are again, doing the same shit you always do. It's easy and boring. IF you can do it 8 times that's fine, but I'd like some variety and challenge, something this expansion is going to need given no raid, which would provide that in spades.

If you had a blast, then I wish I was as easily amused.

Says the guy that likes running raids over and over. And the thing is that raids are even worse with the repetition, since each one has an ideal strategy that pretty much everyone sticks to every time, with the same ideal weapons and same ideal gear.

THAT'S boring. The thing about these bounties is that you have a ton of freedom with regards to how you approach them, and the situation has a chance to change, which (as Revenant pointed out in his thread) can present you with a situation that you haven't encountered yet.

Do one of these events using only the 4th Horseman and a Saint-14 Titan, and your experience will differ from one playing as a Warlock using the Scorch Cannon and Radiance, even though you're running the same event.

4th Horseman Titan is the best Titan

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 18, 2015, 10:05 (3325 days ago) @ Korny

Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam *Ships guns fall off*

4th Horseman Titan is the best Titan

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:23 (3325 days ago) @ someotherguy

Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam *Ships guns fall off*

Funny thing is that that is exactly what I did to show Rev the power of a completely un-upgraded Horseman yesterday...
It's quickly become my Striker Titan's default Exotic.

Not that funny - I was there :p

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:31 (3325 days ago) @ Korny

Im just one of those awful people who has different PSN and DBO names haha

- Lich

Licks Tomatoes!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:49 (3325 days ago) @ someotherguy

Im just one of those awful people who has different PSN and DBO names haha

- Lich

What kind of jerk uses different PSN and DBO names?

The very worst kind

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:04 (3325 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

:-(

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:21 (3325 days ago) @ Korny

I didn't want it too be this way

Should have just added a hyphen

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:28 (3325 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Hyphens are cool!

:-(

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, May 18, 2015, 13:55 (3325 days ago) @ Speedracer513
edited by Korny, Monday, May 18, 2015, 14:37

I didn't want it two be this way

Almost as bad as "those morons who have made two of the same character", huh?

::raises hand::

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, May 19, 2015, 17:25 (3324 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 18, 2015, 16:55 (3325 days ago) @ Korny

Says the guy that likes running raids over and over. And the thing is that raids are even worse with the repetition, since each one has an ideal strategy that pretty much everyone sticks to every time, with the same ideal weapons and same ideal gear.

Only if you want to. When was the last time you did the oracles on hard with everyone down in the well? Crota without using the ledge? That's a hundred times more fun for me than these patrol bounties.

Cool

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 18, 2015, 19:16 (3325 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You enjoy your thing. Im gonna be over here doing something I enjoy, if that's okay with you? Evrybody wins!

You ignored the new part. Of course the old is the same.

by Monochron, Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:38 (3325 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, May 18, 2015, 14:32 (3325 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you've had enough, why are you still playing? :P

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 18, 2015, 16:53 (3325 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

If you've had enough, why are you still playing? :P

Do you see me playing patrol mode and getting those bounties?

+1

by Monochron, Monday, May 18, 2015, 12:38 (3325 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread