I leveled my Thorn (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Saturday, May 30, 2015, 18:41 (3397 days ago)

Pulled it out of the Vault and grinded it out over the past day to see what all the fuss was about. Or maybe it was that whole 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' thing.

I've been testing it out in general Crucible. It is definitely killing the things. If nothing else, the DOT is surprisingly helpful for tracking enemies--that alone has helped me win encounters.

I think I'm going to use it in Trials. I feel dirty.

I leveled my Thorn

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, May 30, 2015, 18:51 (3397 days ago) @ petetheduck

I feel dirty.

You should. ;)

I still can't muster enough consistency to get through the Void Crucible kills part of that bounty.... >_< I need help...

I leveled my Thorn

by petetheduck, Saturday, May 30, 2015, 18:56 (3397 days ago) @ Mid7night

I feel dirty.

You should. ;)

I still can't muster enough consistency to get through the Void Crucible kills part of that bounty.... >_< I need help...

Whatever you do, don't do the Thorn bounty and Invective bounty at the same time. The combination of being forced to use Void weapons while also trying to get a 25 K/D spread is rough.

You can grind through the Thorn bounty if you just give it a lot of time. It's pretty disappointing to only get 10 points in a game, but if I remember correctly, you don't lose points you've earned for going negative, so it's inevitable if you just keep playing.

I leveled my Thorn

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, May 30, 2015, 19:04 (3397 days ago) @ petetheduck

I feel dirty.

You should. ;)

Whatever you do, don't do the Thorn bounty and Invective bounty at the same time. The combination of being forced to use Void weapons while also trying to get a 25 K/D spread is rough.

You can grind through the Thorn bounty if you just give it a lot of time. It's pretty disappointing to only get 10 points in a game, but if I remember correctly, you don't lose points you've earned for going negative, so it's inevitable if you just keep playing.

You do lose points for going negative.

I leveled my Thorn

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, May 30, 2015, 19:14 (3397 days ago) @ Kermit

You do lose points for going negative.

Yup. You absolutely do. Which is why I've DITCHED the bounty like 7 or 8 times.... I also don't usually play a lot of Crucible, so I'm not very practiced at it, which just adds to my distaste for that part of the bounty

:(

by petetheduck, Saturday, May 30, 2015, 19:23 (3397 days ago) @ Mid7night

Guess I was lucky then. I was having some really lousy games and kept checking, and it never seemed to decrease, just seemed to stay the same or only add a couple points.

:(

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Saturday, May 30, 2015, 20:53 (3397 days ago) @ petetheduck

Guess I was lucky then. I was having some really lousy games and kept checking, and it never seemed to decrease, just seemed to stay the same or only add a couple points.

You don't go backwards as fast as forwards - it's like 5/3 or 3/1 or something like that - so if you still went even a little positive on KD then you won't got backwards.

I'll eventually finish it...I hope...

TIP: HMG. Also: Rumble

by Miguel Chavez, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 10:37 (3396 days ago) @ Mid7night

Grab a void machine gun and use it as best you can whenever heavys drop. I find even weak crucible players are able to get decent sprees while using a HMG.

Here's another tip that may make you wince- do Rumble. Yes, having 5 ppl gunning for you if you consider yourself a weak crucible player may seem like a nightmare, but even if you lose every match, you are getting steady kills because now YOU have 5 targets to pick from, and if you stick with void (atheon and crota hand cannon I think are the only void primary?) you'll get the points slow and steady.

- m

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 11:18 (3396 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

Here's another tip that may make you wince- do Rumble. Yes, having 5 ppl gunning for you if you consider yourself a weak crucible player may seem like a nightmare, but even if you lose every match, you are getting steady kills because now YOU have 5 targets to pick from, and if you stick with void (atheon and crota hand cannon I think are the only void primary?) you'll get the points slow and steady.

Any of the Trials of Osiris primary weapons can roll void. A void summoner would beat the pants of Atheon's Epilogue.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 11:44 (3396 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Any of the Trials of Osiris primary weapons can roll void. A void summoner would beat the pants of Atheon's Epilogue.

But the people who need those weapons most for the Thorn bounty are typically the ones least able to compete in Trials of Osiris (partly because they don't yet have Thorn).

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 16:44 (3396 days ago) @ Kermit

But the people who need those weapons most for the Thorn bounty are typically the ones least able to compete in Trials of Osiris (partly because they don't yet have Thorn).

That's… probably true. In that case Word of Crota is definitely the way to go.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 22:08 (3396 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's… probably true. In that case Word of Crota is definitely the way to go.

Which, while not totally reliant on talent in a catch-22 Crucible skill circle, is still not something the RNG Crota gods have granted me yet.

So, thanks for trying to help. It's the thought that counts. ... except when you're getting shot-burned by Thorn... X(

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, June 01, 2015, 15:42 (3395 days ago) @ Mid7night

I did virtually all of my thorn bounties before the special ammo changes. I ran with a void shotty and HMG on my warlock, where I'd get the occasional super and melee kill as void. Still was a bit tricky. It takes time and dedication, and the will to lose for a while.

I leveled my Thorn

by snakegriffin ⌂, MD, Saturday, May 30, 2015, 22:06 (3397 days ago) @ Mid7night

This actually caused me to stop playing Destiny for awhile. I have the bounty, and it floats around 10/500 I think. Goes up, goes down, and I really wanted that gun, just not going to happen. Can't stomach playing enough crucible to get good enough to start going on a streak. Oh well.

I leveled my Thorn

by Monochron, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 00:39 (3396 days ago) @ snakegriffin

Are you using ALL void weapons? Primary void is especially important, otherwise you just won't get enough void kills.

I leveled my Thorn

by snakegriffin ⌂, MD, Monday, June 01, 2015, 00:51 (3395 days ago) @ Monochron

Probably not, I'm not even sure if I have a void primary. That's a good point, probably need to figure out where to get one of those now.

I leveled my Thorn

by Monochron, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 00:38 (3396 days ago) @ petetheduck

Finally finished the damn bounty with Raga's help tonight. Had that bounty for months now but I could never pull it out.

It's a fun gun! Can't wait to make people cry with it :D

What are people's preferred perk selections?

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Monday, June 01, 2015, 14:18 (3395 days ago) @ petetheduck

I've been using "Accurized Ballistics" and "Send it" with some success.

Max Impact, Perfect Balance

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, June 01, 2015, 14:23 (3395 days ago) @ Chappy

But on consideration - Do you actually need the max Impact? Can you still 3-shot with a lower Impact barrel?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread