Vidoc thoughts (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 17:45 (3288 days ago)
edited by electricpirate, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 17:53

For those that haven't seen it

https://youtu.be/qOzF4D6EdiY

The Dreadnaught is the most interesting thing to me. It sounds like it's a space you explore like a patrol, but it has some combination of environmental puzzles and stuff to look for, as you hunt for Orryx. That's the kind of stuff missing from Patrol right now.

It reminds of something like Watcher's Keep, which was a super dungeon in Baldur's Gate 2. Hopefully they've dug deep into getting these puzzles to trip.

The other thing that interests me is the drop in minions. Destiny can do with some life and randomness in the wild. The wolf patrols have been a nice touch, and have been especially interesting as a low level character. Running into situations where you are way out of your depth, hanging out of danger, then grabbing some gear is actually pretty fun.

It also sounds like they want to make strikes more mechanically interesting. Strikes are kind of boring because they need to work well with matchmade groups, so they play pretty fast and lose. I"ll be interested to see how they bridge this divide. I"m still hoping for some more procedural mechanics in strikes though. I'm just waiting for the Spelunky strike ;).

The stuff about the narrative is still meh. I mean, it'd be nice if they get away from the "VOMIT UP SCIFI GOBBLYGOOK" writing, but the fundamental design of the storytelling is still kind of deeply flawed IMO. The attempts to fix that sound more like bailing water from the Titanic.

Mayhem slayer sounds fun. Too bad Schooly D isn't around to get pissed off by it ;).

Lukems said he wouldn't tell if there is another VoG chest.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 18:05 (3288 days ago) @ electricpirate

I am calling it now: at some point, some time in the future, he will, and I will write an article on 1up about 5 ways Luke lied and how he needs to fix it before he hires me as his assistant.

Fargin Bastage. What a tease. >:-I ;-)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 18:54 (3288 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Tiny print at the end

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 18:21 (3288 days ago) @ electricpirate

Expansion I & II required to play
All included in the Legendary and Collector's Edition

Well, that explains the bundles, but I expect butthurt in the future.

!!!! A VIDOC O_O

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 18:55 (3288 days ago) @ electricpirate
edited by INSANEdrive, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:01

Well. That was sorely over due. As I watched I could feel the salt that has been slowly building in from every blunder of year 1 being diluted. Slightly.

I really wish they would do more ViDocs. Its one thing to read, but its another thing to see. (At least for me)

Dave Samuel seems like a nice guy.

If I am to play this "Expansion", then I may finally be playing multiplayer as well. What they presented seems abit more up my alley.

Usually I would pick this Vidoc apart, but I'm very close to a goal that might slip by If I misuse my time. At the very least here is a spark.

[image]

Huh... look on the right.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:25 (3288 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

We'll be able to mark bounties and quests to be tracked? That'll be cool.

Yeah, thought that was interesting as well

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:45 (3288 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Vidoc thoughts

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 18:57 (3288 days ago) @ electricpirate

my thoughts:
more voice acting? yes
new objective gametype? yes
more new overworld events? yes
the bow does kill people? very yes
in summary: fucking yes

Spark & stuff.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:02 (3288 days ago) @ General Vagueness

So, the new Spark game type is assault, not CTF, but I'm still very happy to see more objective based gametypes. I could see CTF being very difficult to do in destiny due to massive stalemates with the small TTK + supers.

I'm also excited about Mayhem. It reminds me of Fiesta, but quite different. Sounds like fun.

Vidoc thoughts

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:10 (3288 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'm really excited about CTF. That was my preferred gametype for Halo next to Swat. I foresee a ton of multiplayer in my future.

also, floating around mid-super on my warlock looks fun.

Seems a lot like assault.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:21 (3288 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Seems more like slamball to me.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:22 (3288 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Neutral Bomb.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:34 (3288 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

SWAT?! /me backs away slowly...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:26 (3288 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

I <3 SWAT..... boom, headshot

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:52 (3288 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Our next trip to the VoG to include Oracles & a Taken Hydra!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:36 (3288 days ago) @ electricpirate

At least, thats what it looks like to me @ around 1:30.

And on the subject: where's that sock eating video!?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:37 (3288 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

We didn't film it yet.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:39 (3288 days ago) @ iconicbanana

ProbablyLast and I haven't seen each other in months, and he needs to film it.

Vidoc thoughts

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:39 (3288 days ago) @ electricpirate

The new gametype really is Neutral Assault from Halo with arming animations, instant detonation, and backpack objective carrying. Alternatively, it's the Speedpile variant of Stockpile (from Reach) but with friendly and enemy zones swapped, and with one item instead of a bunch, and with instant objective counting.

Looks completely sick

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 20:05 (3288 days ago) @ electricpirate

I cannot wait to see what Luke gives us with this. Sorry if you wanted me to criticize, but they already have my money.

NEW RAID!! OBJECTIVE GAMETYPE!

You preordered this thing already?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 20:09 (3288 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I did.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 20:11 (3288 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Of course not

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 21:11 (3288 days ago) @ Funkmon

Why would I preorder a game ever?

Not always a bad idea.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 22:20 (3288 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why would I preorder a game ever?

Because I preordered Destiny, I can currently run it on 3 consoles simultaneously for one price.

Generally it's a bad idea, but here it was a good value.

Although now it looks like I'll either have to shell out for two Taken Kings (that name is the worst-- Tekkenings? Takenings?) or abandon the 360 entirely.

Who are you and what have you done with Cody Miller?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 20:13 (3288 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Nothing's more exciting than an excited Cody Miller!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 22:50 (3288 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Nothing's more frightening than an excited Cody Miller!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 23:05 (3288 days ago) @ Leviathan

TFTFY. :)

An excited Cody Miller is more dangerous than a jackal!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 01:02 (3288 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

My first response was: I would like more ViDocs, please.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 22:45 (3288 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

This. For like... A bazillion yes-ez... and like. Stuff.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 22:58 (3288 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Only bad part

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:03 (3288 days ago) @ electricpirate

'We read Neogaf and reddit"

No mention of DBO :-(

I guess they are bigger than we are? More mainstream?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:12 (3288 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

The sub has more active users than we have registered ones.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:17 (3288 days ago) @ Ragashingo

For instance, as I'm checking, they have 4,663 active users as of the moment of writing. They have 180k registered. That's more than twice the number of total posts on this forum.

The sub has more active users than we have registered ones.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:19 (3288 days ago) @ iconicbanana

For instance, as I'm checking, they have 4,663 active users as of the moment of writing. They have 180k registered. That's more than twice the number of total posts on this forum.

Lol, but the Bungie.org community is the best community :-)

No argument there!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:24 (3288 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm sure they look here too, they just didn't mention us because everybody else watching would be saying "Who the hell is DBO?"

No argument there!

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 03:21 (3288 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I'm sure they look here too, they just didn't mention us because everybody else watching would be saying "Who the hell is DBO?"

I'd be interested to know where they draw the line, if there is one. What's too small, what's too chaotic, what's too one-sided, to be worth reading? For example 4chan has had a board for some time now dedicated to, well, dedicated discussions of video games. It has one active thread per game, along with recurring threads for things like speedrunning and emulation, and the recurring Destiny thread tends to get hundreds of posts a day, but then the posts tend to be shorter than a typical forum post, and the signal-to-noise ratio in a given thread can be anywhere from on par with DBO to having forum drama and memes take up 80% of the thread.

No argument there!

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 01:50 (3287 days ago) @ iconicbanana

As a general misanthrope and pessimist I have no interest in Bungie pointing the uncivilized hordes in our direction.

Amen to that!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 18, 2015, 14:15 (3286 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Hear hear, good point

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 23:54 (3286 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Only bad part

by Veegie, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 02:10 (3288 days ago) @ Cody Miller

'We read Neogaf and reddit"

No mention of DBO :-(

We read here, too!

+7 :)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 03:58 (3288 days ago) @ Veegie

- No text -

Only bad part

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 11:57 (3287 days ago) @ Veegie

I beg you guys to never say "we read reddit and neogaf and CODY MILLER."

Please, for all of our sakes.

Only bad part

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 01:51 (3287 days ago) @ Kermit

It wasn't just that he didn't mention us, but that the general concepts were different. When is the last time someone posted to DBO about Valas having too much health?

Only bad part

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 02:11 (3287 days ago) @ Vortech

Heh. Not since they fixed him I suppose... Do people still think he's hard?! I mean he might have taken a lot of damage before but I always kinda liked surviving against his waves of minions...

Only bad part

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 02:13 (3287 days ago) @ Vortech

Dude, I was saying the strike bosses had too much health since the alpha!

I would love if this happened.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 02:00 (3287 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread