Character Customization

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 11:25 (4004 days ago) @ petetheduck

The GDC talk had a bit about keeping character customization from stalling players. Watch the Clueless Gamer for Skyrim for a great example of this--Conan just wants to play Skyrim, but he's stuck customizing every crazy feature about a character, when all of that customization is completely meaningless to him.

If Destiny only has 3 classes and 3 "races", I think that is a smart move in terms of condensing the customization experience into something simple and effective. Armor customization will let you micro-manage your appearance, but that doesn't keep you stuck in a lengthy character creation process.

Mr Buttons, lol.

I agree that there is such a thing as too much customization, and I don't think Destiny needs nearly the amount of customization as Skyrim. However, if there is an option to not wear a helmet, or to wear the cool facemask like in the concept art, it would be a little weird to have only "generic male head" and "generic female head" as your options. Or "generic Exo head."

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread