bungie day article (Destiny)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 14:54 (3267 days ago)

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13117

didn't see this posted, even though its timestamped yesterday

and b.net is down....

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 14:57 (3267 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

and b.net is down....

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:00 (3267 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Me too.

text...

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:01 (3267 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Happy Bungie Day!

Today, we recognize and appreciate the magic that happens when a group of passionate people take a game and make it their own. At Bungie, the seventh day of the seventh month is all about community. Let us begin!

Destiny Year One

While Bungie Day has been a thing for a number of years now, today marks the inaugural community celebration in the Destiny era. In fact, it was just about this time last year that many of us were being revived from the rusted wastelands of Old Russia for the very first time. Many more would soon follow, with tales of adventure all their own.

As always, it's those stories that mean the most, so let’s relive a small slice of Destiny's first year through your eyes.

https://youtu.be/8XLa2kEz2m4

We know what you’re thinking: “Why didn’t they include [insert favorite moment here]?”

No one video can capture an entire year of space magic. That is why we'd love for you to share your own favorite moment with us, and with the community.

Announcing the Destiny Year One Art Contest. Your mission is to answer the following question from your own point of view:

What has been your favorite thing about the first year of Destiny?

Submissions: July 23rd, 2015

The parade will be judged, in part, by the community itself. For our part, we'll be rolling out a new space on Bungie.net to better highlight these and future creations by the talented people in our community.

For now, keep your entry under wraps until we issue the official call to action. Make an epic video, take a compelling picture, or sketch your vision of the Guardians that have settled into the Tower. You'll need your own external URL (something like YouTube or imgur) to host your creation. Please make sure that your content is family friendly. Destiny is rated T for Teen!

PRIZES?
The fifty creations that rise to the top will earn a Blacksmith Shader for their Guardian. We’ll also send a Collector’s Edition of Destiny: The Taken King to seven of you who earn the most love.

You have two weeks. Share your favorite Year One stories and moments with us. We'll share them with the Destiny Community using some fancy new website features.

Wil Wheaton is already way ahead of you!

Laurea Prima

It's been a year of fun challenges for your Guardian to tackle – Crucible combatants to destroy, alien overlords to topple, and treasures chests to be plundered (and plundered again) out in the wild. Many moons from now, when we look back on year one, how will we know who among us charged head-long into the Darkness to conquer each and every threat?

[image]

If you can achieve all of these Moments of Triumph, this emblem will tell the tale.

You have from now until September 9th to earn it. After that, the monument to your legacy will be unattainable.

[image]

Track your progress as it unfolds on Bungie.net. Some of you have some work to do. Others may find that you've already forged your legend. Your Profile page will highlight the challenges that have and have yet to be completed.

If you can meet this challenge, you shall be rewarded when we launch Destiny: The Taken King.

Strike a Pose

Every Guardian loves to show off something new for their avatar. In Destiny, the things we wear distinguish us. The same goes for Bungie.net, so we’ve stocked your existing Profile inventory with some new ways to express your identity right here on our forum.

[image]

Take this opportunity to dress up your local account with some new visual gear. New avatars and themes will let your fellow players know what you’re passionate about at a glance.

Disclaimer: Bungie cannot be held liable for Internet abuse that you may incur for posing as the Cryptarch. He made his bed. You don't have to lie in it. But you can if you want to.

Treasure Hunt

Finally, we’re bringing Bungie Day to a close with the launch of a brand new website feature: The Armory.

[image]

Check it out. You'll find all the information you’ll need to make informed decisions about the perfect load-out for any mission. Or maybe you just want to look up your favorite gun, and turn it over and over and over.

We won’t judge.

Thank you.

You are legendary. If you’ve created a Guardian in our world, you have made the game of Destiny better. It’s been an honor and a pleasure to play alongside you this year. You’re the reason why we do what we do.

Happy Bungie Day, Guardian. And Happy Bungie Day to every player who has ever lent a bit of themselves to something that we created.

We have more adventures in store for Destiny in the months and years to come. We hope you’ll be along for the ride. It just wouldn’t be the same without you.

See you Starside,

Love, Bungie.

Calling Leviathan

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:04 (3267 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

An art contest? Dude, if you entered you'd win for sure. YOU'VE GOT TO DO THIS MAN!

He's so good. LEVI WIN IT FOR US!

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:09 (3267 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Put a subtle bungie.org logo in the background.

I'll raise you a TDSpiral

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:18 (3267 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Moments of triumph emblem

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:12 (3267 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

This looks cool! I'm wondering if I can create a new character and have a blank one! That would be neat!

I don't think that's how it works

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:14 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

Pretty sure you only get the emblem after you've completed all of the challenges in it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:17 (3267 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Pretty sure you only get the emblem after you've completed all of the challenges in it.

What were the challenges? I looked and it said I already had conquered them all. I imagine it'd be to complete all the activities in the Director.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:23 (3267 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What were the challenges? I looked and it said I already had conquered them all. I imagine it'd be to complete all the activities in the Director.

Guardian at level 20
Complete the campaign
Complete Dark Below
Complete HoW
Beat Antheon Hard
Beat Crota Hard
Beat Skolas Hard
100 Public events
Win 100 crucible matches
Find 20 golden chests

And that's all on the same character?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:24 (3267 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

Can someone screenshot an incomplete page?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:18 (3267 days ago) @ Kahzgul

[image]

This is all I get, so I'm curious to know what the challenges and stuff are.

Here you go:

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:21 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

[image]

Challenges are:

Apprentice of Light
A character reached the maximum level

Light of the Garden
Defeated the dark heart of the Black Garden

Light in the Dark
Prevented the summoning of Crota's Soul

Light of the Reef
Captured Skolas in the Vex Citadel

Bane of Skolas
Defeated Prison of Elders on Hard Difficulty

Bane of Atheon
Defeated Atheon on Hard Difficulty

Bane of Crota
Defeated Crota on Hard Difficulty

Public Servant
Completed 50 Public Events

Crucible Gladiator
Won 100 Crucible Matches

Chest Hunter
Found all Golden Chests

That's a lot of stuff. People're gonna need help.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:31 (3267 days ago) @ CyberKN

If anyone wants help doing some of that stuff for the emblem on Xbox, send me an XBL message and I'll lend you my bow/axe/sword/syphilis.

That's a lot of stuff. People're gonna need help.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:21 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

I was all ready to, but then I saw I would need to buy the expansions. My plan was to get them bundled in with TTK. dunno. I guess I'll see how long it takes me to get to 30 and go from there.

Well, they're on sale right now.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:27 (3267 days ago) @ Vortech

But if I were you, I wouldn't bother. The emblem ain't worth it.

Crota, Skolas, and a lone chest

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 18:08 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

If anyone wants help doing some of that stuff for the emblem on Xbox, send me an XBL message and I'll lend you my bow/axe/sword/syphilis.

I'll take you up on that. I'm sure I defeated Crota on hard mode, but it looks like I have an excuse to do it again. C'mon, Word o' Crota!

Please hold the syphilis...

Free on Sunday?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 18:45 (3267 days ago) @ Oholiab

Can someone screenshot an incomplete page?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:25 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

[image]

From top center, going clockwise:

-Max level character
-Beat Black Garden
-Beat Dark Below
-Beat House of Wolves
-Beat Skolas in PoE
-Beat VoG on Hard
-Beat Crota on Hard
-Complete 50 Public Events
-Win 100 Crucible matches
-Find all Gold Loot chests

We've gotta get you the rest of those.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:26 (3267 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

We sure do!

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:27 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

The chests and public events are no problem.

Finding the time for raids and PoE is slightly more difficult. Still, with two months, hopefully it will happen.

Skolas is the main thing. I've only got a 33 Warlock, so I'd have to run PoE a few times for enough Etheric Light to get to 34.

I'll be setting up a FTB for this weekend for one of the activities, hopefully.

Definitely do so.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:32 (3267 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I hope people use the FTB to fill the holes. Looks like Raga and Midnight are, too.

apparently i'm missing 1 golden chest.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:13 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

thought i had them all

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:21 (3267 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I bet it's that one chest at that one location. You know the one.

Anyway, Is there a way to tell which one someone is missing? You can narrow it down to what world you are missing it on by looking in the Director, but is there anything like Destinyghosthunter.net that will tell you the specific one?

I'm interested in this as well [nt]

by Earendil, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:01 (3267 days ago) @ CougRon

no text.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:16 (3267 days ago) @ Earendil

no text.

You don't have to enter "no text"--see the red x beside some posts? The forum knows you didn't use text and marks it accordingly.

But I did use text!

by Earendil, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:25 (3267 days ago) @ Kermit

Okay, you got me, I never connected the red x to post content. Call me old school :)

You're oblivious. :P.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:28 (3267 days ago) @ Earendil

I just checked a YouTube video and when I saw the ones I had never seen, I went there. It was easy as long as your memory is decent.

You're oblivious. :P.

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:54 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

my memory is terrible. the mission select screen at least tells you if you've found all of them on the highlighted planet.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 20:21 (3267 days ago) @ Kermit

What ever happened the good ole *NM* :(

I'm interested in this as well

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 20:25 (3267 days ago) @ Ragashingo

What ever happened the good ole *NM* :(

It died because it was confusing and dumb.

LONG LIVE [image]! ALL HAIL THE [image]!

Nevar! *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 20:30 (3267 days ago) @ CyberKN

Well played *NM*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 20:59 (3267 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

It would be super nice if it also marked the link visited

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 00:22 (3267 days ago) @ CyberKN

The OCD part of me that wants all the links purple is at war with the lazy part of me that can't be bothered.

Agreed

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 00:49 (3267 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:57 (3267 days ago) @ CougRon

http://www.primagames.com/games/destiny/tips/destiny-how-find-all-20-gold-chests

Doesn't show which ones you are missing, but it is a pretty well-done walkthrough of where they are.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 20:26 (3267 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Eh. No it's not. Or, at least, it was kinda vague. Like "go to the left and look behind the crates" when the "crates" we're part of an air conditioning unit on top of a roof... I liked this IGN one better.

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:25 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

[image]

Is it different between Xbox and PSN?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:33 (3267 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

So you would need to run all that junk on both?

Is it different between Xbox and PSN?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:38 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

So you would need to run all that junk on both?

Yup. See pics.

Both versions

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:37 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

Click to embiggen:

Complete:
[image]

Incomplete:
[image]

Can someone screenshot an incomplete page? [IMG]

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 15:38 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

I got that the first time, too. If you go back (and maybe force reload the page) you should be able to see all of the things you've completed now.

[image]

100 Crucible Wins?

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:01 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

My profile says I have 29 wins... but on my emblem page it shows 100/100. I hope Bungie doesn't fix this ;-)

100 Crucible Wins?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:08 (3267 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I think it's per account, not character.

You're profile just shows the character you've currently selected, while the Triumphs are for all three together, I believe.

100 Crucible Wins?

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:47 (3267 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, but my other characters have a grand total of 0. I've only ever played Crucible with my main. Like I said, I just hope Bungie doesn't fix it, because then I just have the simple task of getting to 33/34 and beating Skolas on hard. Easy?

Ever deleted a character?

by Earendil, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:03 (3267 days ago) @ JDQuackers

My second character created was a second warlock. I've now brought a third character, a titan, up to snuff. I'd like to replace one of my warlocks with a Titan before TTK falls, but I'm wondering if deleting one of my warlocks will take with it some of the "account stats" that this metric appears to be adding up.

No

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:56 (3267 days ago) @ Earendil

- No text -

Yup

by WildthingVII, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 19:19 (3267 days ago) @ Earendil

I deleted my original. I did a lot on that character and my progress doesnt seem to have taken a hit.

100 Crucible Wins?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 19:16 (3267 days ago) @ JDQuackers

possible explanation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3cfz8m/bungienet_added_moments_of_triumph/

A lot of people, myself included, have this emblem without having won 100 matches, so I believe the description is wrong. I believe it should read "Take down 100 Guardians in the Crucible" or something similar. I have a friend that is 0/2 on crucible matches won, but he has 4 kills and 2 assists in the crucible. This put his emblem achievement at 6/100 for Crucible Gladiator. Currently the best working theory I can come up with... Let me know if you have a counter-example to disprove the theory!

That WOULD make more sense! Thanks :)

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 23:59 (3267 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Kind of a letdown that it's almost all done

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:12 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

I just have to go find a couple bronze chests (they don't deserve their gold descriptor anymore). Wish I had to do something else to earn the emblem.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:18 (3267 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

I just have to go find a couple bronze chests (they don't deserve their gold descriptor anymore). Wish I had to do something else to earn the emblem.

I guarantee you're in the minority. I'd like to see those stats, though.

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:32 (3267 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, I know. I play too much. I just noticed that I played Reach too much as well... the My Legend - Profile page now shows legacy stats at the bottom. Somehow I played 1676 Reach games.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:36 (3267 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Yeah, I know. I play too much. I just noticed that I played Reach too much as well... the My Legend - Profile page now shows legacy stats at the bottom. Somehow I played 1676 Reach games.

3844 Reach games here. And that's significantly less then my Halo 3 numbers.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:39 (3267 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

lol - I have 5570. ;)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:43 (3267 days ago) @ Claude Errera

lol - I have 5570. ;)

No wonder your house isn't done. You're apparently still playing reach like crazy!

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:52 (3267 days ago) @ Cody Miller

lol - I have 5570. ;)

No wonder your house isn't done. You're apparently still playing reach like crazy!

:(

Last Reach match: 12/30/2012

Feels like forever. :(

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 16:56 (3267 days ago) @ Claude Errera

lol - I have 5570. ;)

Holy cow, I am now shamed by my total. Digging deeper... 19000 covenant kills in Reach. In Destiny my hunter just passed 70,000 kills!

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:31 (3267 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Waypoint has higher numbers for me than B.net, if that helps you.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:57 (3267 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

lol - I have 5570. ;)

Holy cow, I am now shamed by my total. Digging deeper... 19000 covenant kills in Reach. In Destiny my hunter just passed 70,000 kills!

Don't be shamed. I spent far too much time playing Reach. ;)

(160k covenant kills, vs about 100k PvE kills for my titan and 25k for my hunter.)

I'm not sure my numbers are accurate.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:33 (3267 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

[image]

Hmm. Maybe Snipe is right.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:39 (3267 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

[image]

Perish the thought...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 18:25 (3267 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Remember, back in the day, that was almost literally all there was to play...

Perish the thought...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 18:34 (3267 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

Remember, back in the day, that was almost literally all there was to play...

True enough, and it was the only Halo game where I played A LOT of PVP. I had very few friends to play with, and put up with more Kermit impersonations than anyone save Jane Henson (and she got the real thing).

I guess I'm not a legend.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 19:43 (3267 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

[image]

Alpha. Beta. Day one. So forth. Sucks that I won't get it, but... meh. I have already chosen my emblem. Congrats to those of you who enjoy Year 1 Destiny PvP!

You have barely even tried! Give it a few goes with friends.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 19:57 (3267 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Yep. Jump in for crucible nights. Stomp noobs to victory.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 20:14 (3267 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Waiting till september

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 00:43 (3267 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

So, I guess we don't get the emblem till September even if we've done everything. I was hoping you'd just get it whenever you accomplished the tasks. By September I won't even care about it anymore!

Wake Cody Up When Septem...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 00:52 (3267 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Happy Bungie Day

by Avateur @, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 01:35 (3267 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Instead of allowing people until September to accomplish the task if they haven't done it yet while at the same time giving everyone else who has succeeded the opportunity to wear it proudly right now... your Bungie Day gift is another thing that requires a grind to obtain, and as a bonus, you have to wait until I'm done attempting my grind before you can reap your own rewards. I mean, it's such a Destiny thing to do, right?

In the meantime, go get that Hawkmoon.

So............Is That It?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 01:40 (3267 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

An art contest, a limited time clean-up offer(for me, it's literally just Skolas and Crota), some avatars(Still no Dark Below logo, I see) and a database that literally every Destiny fansite has already.

Honestly, I was expecting something in-game. The Armory is nice and all--good to see it from the source itself--but everything else(literally everything else) could've been covered/revealed in a random BWU.

I will say this, though--with pretty excellent timing, I got my shirttoday. No notification on the in-game rewards, though.

SERIOUSLY a disappointing day otherwise!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 01:47 (3267 days ago) @ Morpheus

An art contest, a limited time clean-up offer(for me, it's literally just Skolas and Crota), some avatars(Still no Dark Below logo, I see) and a database that literally every Destiny fansite has already.

Honestly, I was expecting something in-game. The Armory is nice and all--good to see it from the source itself--but everything else(literally everything else) could've been covered/revealed in a random BWU.

I will say this, though--with pretty excellent timing, I got my shirttoday. No notification on the in-game rewards, though.

SERIOUSLY a disappointing day otherwise!

What were you expecting? I don't know if you know the history of Bungie day, but there are NEVER major things released. The biggest thing ever released, in my opinion, is the Marathon 2 release on XBL. It is always more a celebration about the Community (which the 30 minutes video did a great job celebrating) not about getting free stuff from Bungie.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 02:08 (3267 days ago) @ Xenos

What were you expecting? I don't know if you know the history of Bungie day, but there are NEVER major things released. The biggest thing ever released, in my opinion, is the Marathon 2 release on XBL. It is always more a celebration about the Community (which the 30 minutes video did a great job celebrating) not about getting free stuff from Bungie.

What about 2008? Free map released into the wild. Other years have included a lot more interaction in the game too; like recon, reveals, steaktacular challenges, etc. I was kind of hoping for stuff like that too.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 02:13 (3267 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

What about 2008? Free map released into the wild. Other years have included a lot more interaction in the game too; like recon, reveals, steaktacular challenges, etc. I was kind of hoping for stuff like that too.

That's fair, I've always been of the opinion it's more about the community celebrating Bungie and vice versa. Before 2007 Bungie Day was something only celebrated by the community. Also remember 2009 when you had to beat Bungie to get anything, and 2011 where for the vast majority of players they got a nameplate and the flaming helmet. You can argue we "got" less this year than past years, but they also made an awesome 30 minute video for us, a contest where you can actually get the Taken King for free, an awesome new section of the site, and an emblem no one that isn't involved in Year One can get.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 03:46 (3267 days ago) @ Xenos

That's fair, I've always been of the opinion it's more about the community celebrating Bungie and vice versa. Before 2007 Bungie Day was something only celebrated by the community. Also remember 2009 when you had to beat Bungie to get anything, and 2011 where for the vast majority of players they got a nameplate and the flaming helmet. You can argue we "got" less this year than past years, but they also made an awesome 30 minute video for us, a contest where you can actually get the Taken King for free, an awesome new section of the site, and an emblem no one that isn't involved in Year One can get.

I don't know who was asking for year one exclusives though, I have yet to see one person ask for that or say they're grateful specifically for that. The hubbub has been about long-time fans, day one players, if not earlier. Personally I don't really care about that, but there's a point to be made in Bungie, well, missing the point of what these people are asking for. I felt like the video could've used some editing too, some things were repeated that really didn't need to be and some things probably had more enjoyable parts that could've been included. Also I wish they'd given links to their sources-- I didn't know about several of the videos they had clips of and I'd like to check out these community things they wanted to share and they didn't really make that easier.
I'm happy with what we got, I wasn't expecting anything more, but I do see where they could've delivered better on both what people were asking for and what they were seemingly trying to do.
As an aside, and not so much a point against anyone, I wish contests like these weren't always art stuff. This one is broader than most, but still well outside my skill-set, I wouldn't have a chance even if I tried my best.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 02:14 (3267 days ago) @ Xenos

Cold Storage was HUGE. That was the best thing that ever happened to me. I guess simply because Chill Out is my favorite Halo 1 map(other than Infinity), but still--faithfully remaking a map in a new game is a pretty big deal. I know that was worked on by a good number of people, so that could still be considered big. Not to mention the 7 player FFA map on Cold Storage only. That was a pure gold dream come true.

Looking at the rest of the Halo prizes, Bungie made Blastacular free(not that those were any good, but still--maps), a non-stop Bungie vs. World playlist for a chance at permanent Recon, actual Recon for a day, and Permanent Eternal Flame unlocks for Reach, along with the 30,000 cR jackpot.

OH! And the steak! LITERALLY, a steak. A full-blown Omaha(expensive as all unholy get-out) STEAK.

(I didn't get one, but a person could win one, that's the point.)

That is BEYOND major. That's food. Bungie literally fed some people.

Now, I wasn't expecting stuff THAT big, but something to look forward to, as they had hinted.

Had to work early today, and every second I could do so without getting caught, I was checking these forums(and B.net) to see if there were any excited posts about what Bungie was offering.

Nothing!

It was nice to get my shirt, and it's good to see that the Armory's already messing up, but seriously, today was "meh".

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 02:24 (3267 days ago) @ Morpheus

Read my post in response to Robot Chickens, but do remember this is done because they want to do something. This isn't something you expect from Bungie because we bought the game, they do this because they care about the Community. Saying "Is that it?" to them is pretty similar to saying that to your parents or friends for what you consider an underwhelming birthday present.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 02:30 (3267 days ago) @ Xenos

I agree with you completely Xenos. It's supposed to be a fun little thing to celebrate the community of Bungie fans. The video was great! The art contest is great (even though I'm not talented enough to enter, I'll still get to look at some undoubtedly amazing art that comes out of it!), and the emblem is perfect. It's handsome, and it's not something super special that those that don't or can't obtain it will feel super left out because they don't have it.

I think it's been a good day; I'm not sure why people can't look on the bright side every once in a while.

Just think about it. Yes, today is Bungie day, a day that Bungie made up. They don't owe anyone anything, but people still have to bitch about something.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 04:51 (3267 days ago) @ Xenos

Read my post in response to Robot Chickens, but do remember this is done because they want to do something. This isn't something you expect from Bungie because we bought the game, they do this because they care about the Community. Saying "Is that it?" to them is pretty similar to saying that to your parents or friends for what you consider an underwhelming birthday present.

I agree with you regarding the "is that it?" sentiment. Bungie doesn't owe me anything. I was just pointing out that Bungie has gone out and stretched themselves a little more in the past and I would've liked to have played a wacky in-game playlist or something of that ilk.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 04:52 (3267 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I agree with you regarding the "is that it?" sentiment. Bungie doesn't owe me anything. I was just pointing out that Bungie has gone out and stretched themselves a little more in the past and I would've liked to have played a wacky in-game playlist or something of that ilk.

Yeah, no personal offense meant :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread