Xbox 360 silver

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 00:56 (4000 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I think since it is "always on" you would need a gold account.

Why? Silver users are also "online". They have a friends list.

But honestly, being able to play from disc "offline" is something they have not specifically addressed yet.

Yes, they have. They've said you need to be online. So if you put the disc in and yank out the ethernet cable, you can't play.

They have also said that this doesn't mean you have to play multiplayer or coop, and that you can play solo in a single-player campaign.

I'm guessing there will be some kind of secondary login specific to Destiny, the same way EA has their separate login system in Mass Effect 3. The difference would be that while you only need to do that login in ME3 to access DLC or online multiplayer, in Destiny you'll need to do it to play at all, even the solo campaign-- but you can still play the solo campaign without enabling the kind of drop-in, drop-out coop that the game seems to have been designed specifically for.

So your internet connection doesn't need to be good enough to host or participate in an online game; it just needs to be stable enough so that you can login whenever you want to play.

As for the specifics of the implementation, little is known. It may work like SimCity, in that losing your connection stops your game. Or perhaps it only requires login to start a game. We'll have to wait and see.

But in either case, given that Destiny will be on Xbox 360, the new Xbox, and also PS4, requiring Gold for Xbox users would create an uneven playing field between Xbox and PlayStation owners, because access to PSN is free. I very much doubt Bungie would do that, or that Microsoft would attempt to require it.

For online multiplayer, I'm sure the requirements would be the same as current games for each platform, where Xbox users need Gold and PS get access free.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread