The Starside Lounge Podcast, Episode 4 (DBO)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, July 23, 2015, 00:07 (3199 days ago) @ Beorn

Good episode, but the siren-o-meter didn't ever move from 0 :(

I did think there was a bit of confusion about Eris and Crota. What Eris' team did was an incredible achievement. They charged into battle against Crota at a time that The City was signaling a full retreat from the moon. Crota (and his generals) took on and killed literally thousands of Guardians and yet these six were able to confront him and kill him. It's not stated explicitly, but I do believe they actually fought him somewhere on the surface of the moon and won. The problem was, Crota was not just an ordinary Hive Knight, he is one of the Hive's gods and even though Eris and company destroyed his body in our world there were not able to destroy his soul which returned (I believe Eris mumbles something about the hive catching it) to his netherworld with the dark, bleeding star. Following that victory, Eris and company went after Crota but most of them were killed, whether personally by Omnigul or just by overwhelming force, before they could find Crota's soul.

So what Eris and her team did was totally not easy and was a huge, stunning accomplishment. But they failed in the final step which makes what we do just as impressive if not more so. First, we defeated the plans of Omnigul to bring Crota back to our world where he might have caused a huge amount of damage. Then we did what Eris' fireteam could not by descending down into the Hellmouth, fighting our way into Crota's alternate dimension, and ultimately killing Crota's soul so that the Hive will never be able to resurrect him again. Before he was banished from our physical world. Now, he is actually very much dead. Sure it only takes us thirty minutes or an hour now to kill Crota, but that's just for gameplay's sake. Looking at it from a purely story perspective and what we do during the Raid is something thought undoable. Because of Destiny's massively multiplayer nature we don't play a named hero like the Master Chief, but what our Guardian does throughout Destiny's missions is on that same level of defeating impossible odds and saving as the things the Chief did in Halo.

Also, y'all touched on Eris making contact with the Queen of the Awoken, but I think that might be a bigger deal that y'all thought. The Queen very nearly let the House of Wolves pass the Reef by. It seems like the Reef was hidden enough that the Awoken could have watched silently as the Wolves destroy The City at Twilight Gap but instead the Queen stepped in and went on the offensive. It seems to me that it is a very very big deal then that she is willing to commit to helping Eris kill Oryx when she was reluctant to expose the Reef by stopping the Wolves. Oryx would seem to be the much bigger threat, after all!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread