Question On Editing Submitted Fan Fiction. AKA, Help!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 09:23 (3989 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 09:53

A couple days ago I noticed I'd missed a word at the end of a sentence on A Helping Hand, my most recent story submitted to the DBO fanfic section. Oh well, I thought, it didn't really change anything. Today I went back to reread it and found another word not missing but garbled. Somewhere where I changed something but didn't properly delete the original sentence. Another oh well. But as I kept reading I noticed more and more errors. Errors that would not get by my usual self-editing process. Errors that, in fact, did not get by my editing! I have a good version right here in front of me.

My best guess is that version online is the version I first pasted into the submission box. I then used the preview button multiple times to fix many things, and pasted the final version back in before hitting the submit button. Well that or somehow I made a colossal error of fixing things and didn't paste in the final version… though that seems more unlikely as I'm pretty protective of my work. I'm thinking the system grabbed whatever I first pasted in but did not update it when I made my corrections before submitting.

Anyway, there seems to be no way to edit a story after it is submitted and however it happened what is up there now is quite embarrassing. Certainly not representative of the quality of work I strive to present. So yes, everyone please hurry over to the fan fiction second and do not read my story until further notice. Thanks. :p

P.S. I also emailed Jim Stitzel, caretaker of Fan Fiction, a version of this, but I thought I'd post it here for posterity and as a warning to future generations to be careful when submitting fanfic in case either you or the system somehow screws it all up. :p

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread