Opening slide (Destiny)

by Miguel Chavez, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 13:02 (3333 days ago)

I presented yesterday at a MacTech Pro conference on some advanced troubleshooting tips and the template for the opening slide was asking for a little bio info. Folks were putting pics of themselves w/ their family, etc. along with a paragraph or two of their work in the industry.

Since it was Keynote, I was able to easily place a looping 6 second video of a better portrait of myself. Hope you agree.

I posted this this morning on FB, but now that I think of it, nothing too private I don't mind posting here for anyone to see.

Only a few attendees even had an idea of what I was talking about. The rest just stared off into space. Tech industry and video games don't mix as much as you'd think.

- M

[image]

Love this :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 13:13 (3333 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

- No text -

Opening slide

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 13:14 (3333 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

Haha, that is awesome.

Ha, Very nice

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 13:26 (3333 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

- No text -

Opening slide

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:25 (3333 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

I saw this only on my phone this morning. That's awesome!

Funny about tech--I've worked at a software company for 16 years, and always felt alone as a gamer IRL, weirdly enough. I certainly knew people in the (rather big) company who were gamers, and I was sure there were more, but for the most part there didn't seem to be many Bungie gamers.

That's changed with Destiny. There are at least 7 or 8 people in my building who play it, and it's getting close to being disruptive--it's not uncommon for me to get 2 or 3 visits a day from people wanting to talk Destiny shop, not to mention the Destiny-related e-mail I get. It doesn't help that I like talking about Destiny.

Opening slide

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:07 (3333 days ago) @ Kermit

That's changed with Destiny. There are at least 7 or 8 people in my building who play it, and it's getting close to being disruptive--it's not uncommon for me to get 2 or 3 visits a day from people wanting to talk Destiny shop, not to mention the Destiny-related e-mail I get. It doesn't help that I like talking about Destiny.

Wow, that would be so awesome to have coworkers who played Destiny, I can only imagine.

Opening slide

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:10 (3333 days ago) @ dogcow

Step 1: we start a new company and hire only DBO members

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit!

Opening slide

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:11 (3333 days ago) @ dogcow

Wow, that would be so awesome to have coworkers who played Destiny, I can only imagine.

I had two or three co-workers that played, but then they all left the company... Now I just sit at my desk and hope that people notice the three different Destiny Desktop pictures I have on my 3 monitors :-)

Opening slide

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:27 (3333 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Step 3: Bankruptcy because we get nothing done.

Opening slide

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:30 (3333 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Step 3: Bankruptcy because we get nothing done.

Step 4: Apply for job at Bungie.

That's not the "can do" attitude we're looking for.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:30 (3333 days ago) @ cheapLEY

We'll let you know if any other openings turn up.

Opening slide

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:35 (3333 days ago) @ dogcow

It's cool, although I grow tired of being the answer guy sometimes, or batting back every negative Destiny rumor that gets spread as fact on the internet. And sometimes there has been tension in that I just don't have time to play with everyone who wants to play. First world problem, I know.

They have 501C status

by BlackstarBSP, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:38 (3333 days ago) @ cheapLEY

They have 501C status; they are a non-profit.

Opening slide

by Miguel Chavez, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:55 (3333 days ago) @ Kermit

It's cool, although I grow tired of being the answer guy sometimes, or batting back every negative Destiny rumor that gets spread as fact on the internet. And sometimes there has been tension in that I just don't have time to play with everyone who wants to play. First world problem, I know.

Friend just asked about getting Destiny PS4 special bundle. While talking about it, he was nervous because the 'guy at Gamestop' told him point blank "Bungie is leaving Destiny, handing it off to the guys that do those Deadpool games" (High Moon)

Oh boy.

- M

Opening slide

by Miguel Chavez, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:02 (3333 days ago) @ Kermit

Funny about tech--I've worked at a software company for 16 years, and always felt alone as a gamer IRL, weirdly enough. I certainly knew people in the (rather big) company who were gamers, and I was sure there were more, but for the most part there didn't seem to be many Bungie gamers.

I used to be able to walk around those game/computer conferences and be left alone, now I gotta slow down and wait for the gimp in order to cut lines.

- m

Opening slide

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:07 (3333 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

I used to be able to walk around those game/computer conferences and be left alone, now I gotta slow down and wait for the gimp in order to cut lines.

- m

I resemble that remark!

;)

Rant about Gamestop

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:07 (3333 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

Friend just asked about getting Destiny PS4 special bundle. While talking about it, he was nervous because the 'guy at Gamestop' told him point blank "Bungie is leaving Destiny, handing it off to the guys that do those Deadpool games" (High Moon)

Oh boy.

- M

I actually had a series of emails back and forth with Gamestop's Canadian customer service department last year after I publicly twitter-shamed them over the total BS being spouted by their employees. On 3 or 4 occasions, I heard retail staff in 2 different locations use the same scam to trick people into purchasing their extended warranties.

The line was "games today are bigger and more complicated than ever, and they often require software updates. Sometimes these updates cause problems that can prevent you from playing the game properly. But if you have our warranty, you can return your copy and get a new one".

At one point, I really did become "that guy" who told them off in front of a whole lineup of customers.

I said "does the PS4 have a blue-ray burner in it?"

"no..."

"That's right... it doesn't have the physical components needed to write information on to a disc. Not only that, PS4 and Xbox One discs are not even re-writable. Its physically impossible for anything you download to somehow effect the disc itself. So if someone downloads a patch and it does cause problems, it has nothing to do with the disc."

"I guess..."

"So then how will exchanging it for a new disc help?"

"Uh..."

"If a patch causes a problem, it exists in the software install. It has nothing to do with the disc."

"That's what I thought, but it happened to a friend of mine..."

at which point I said "that's bullshit" and left. I was more than a little proud that a few of the people in line behind me left as well :)

Rant about Gamestop

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:16 (3333 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

"Will you shut up and leave if we give you three months free of Game Informer?"

Opening slide

by Miguel Chavez, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:16 (3333 days ago) @ Kermit

- m

I resemble that remark!

;)

.     __                 __
     (  |               |  )
  ____\  \             /  /_____
(____ _)  \          /   (_____)
(_____ ) _)__(-̮-)__(_  ( _____)
(__ ___)  )  |___|  (   (_ ___)
  (_____)__/ /_/\_  \__(____)
             ™   ™

Nicely done!

by Miguel Chavez, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:17 (3333 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

I might have taken that deal lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:19 (3333 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Opening slide

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:24 (3333 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

Oh boy.

- M

Sometimes I think the internet is the world's largest game of "Tell your neighbor."

I've got a buddy at Gamestop. He's just a kid but he bends over backwards to help me. I'm always amused at how loud the employees are there. They are helpful, but they also interject any old thing into the conversation you're having with the guy who's helping you. The atmosphere always strikes me as if they're taking a break from a LAN (and maybe they are!). They seem to know a lot, but anything they say about something I know a lot about seems a little off, which makes me doubt everything. It's the usual crap. The guy who wrote the story got fired. (No.) They're going to finally show Master Chief's face in Halo 5. (They already did it, dude.)

I enjoy interacting with them though, in the same way I like watching puppies play.

Rant about Gamestop

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:27 (3333 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Oh boy.

- M

I actually had a series of emails back and forth with Gamestop's Canadian customer service department last year after I publicly twitter-shamed them over the total BS being spouted by their employees. On 3 or 4 occasions, I heard retail staff in 2 different locations use the same scam to trick people into purchasing their extended warranties.

The line was "games today are bigger and more complicated than ever, and they often require software updates. Sometimes these updates cause problems that can prevent you from playing the game properly. But if you have our warranty, you can return your copy and get a new one".

At one point, I really did become "that guy" who told them off in front of a whole lineup of customers.

I said "does the PS4 have a blue-ray burner in it?"

"no..."

"That's right... it doesn't have the physical components needed to write information on to a disc. Not only that, PS4 and Xbox One discs are not even re-writable. Its physically impossible for anything you download to somehow effect the disc itself. So if someone downloads a patch and it does cause problems, it has nothing to do with the disc."

"I guess..."

"So then how will exchanging it for a new disc help?"

"Uh..."

"If a patch causes a problem, it exists in the software install. It has nothing to do with the disc."

"That's what I thought, but it happened to a friend of mine..."

at which point I said "that's bullshit" and left. I was more than a little proud that a few of the people in line behind me left as well :)

Great job! I know they're under pressure to sell warranties, but that's total dishonest BS.

Rant about Gamestop

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:28 (3333 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I just renewed last week and my buddy gave me stack of back issues I didn't have. At my Gamestop, the kids are alright.

Rant about Gamestop

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:35 (3333 days ago) @ Kermit

I just renewed last week and my buddy gave me stack of back issues I didn't have. At my Gamestop, the kids are alright.

My letter made it into an old issue, where I complained that their walkthrough for Crash Bandicoot was completely inaccurate (it was). They printed it, and responded by saying they do the walkthroughs from early builds they are given which can change, and that my "gaming kung fu must be weak" if I needed a walkthrough anyway :-p

Dishonest, probably not.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:40 (3333 days ago) @ Kermit

They probably just didn't think about it and were fed that line. I don't think they would lie like that.

Opening slide

by Funkmon @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:42 (3333 days ago) @ Kermit

They're going to finally show Master Chief's face in Halo 5. (They already did it, dude.)

WUT

This will always be the Master Chiefs real face:

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 13, 2015, 18:06 (3333 days ago) @ Funkmon

[image]

Opening slide

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 18:07 (3333 days ago) @ Funkmon

They're going to finally show Master Chief's face in Halo 5. (They already did it, dude.)

WUT

Halo 4 Legendary ending.

lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 18:08 (3333 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Rant about Gamestop

by yakaman, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 18:13 (3333 days ago) @ Kermit

Same here. I look forward to unadulterated nerd-convo of pretty decent quality during my monthly visits. They seem to be principled as well. Guess it depends on the individuals?

Also, I really like Game Informer. They often participate in a "Video Games Weekly" radio show on Sports Radio station here in the Twin Cities.

That's actually pretty heartwarming.

by yakaman, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 18:14 (3333 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

- No text -

Opening slide

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, August 14, 2015, 01:14 (3333 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Business hours: noon-9pm est.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread