Tevis Thompson on Destiny (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 06:00 (3332 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, August 14, 2015, 06:13

One of my favorite video game writers touches on Destiny:

http://tevisthompson.com/the-existential-art/

He says it better than I was going to (I was going the "Most games engage your passion, but Destiny exploits your passion" route. As for why I didn't need to quit after all, I simply learned to refocus and curb my passion.)

Objectivity is ultimately a lack of confidence.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:13 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Absolutely loved Second Quest, good stuff

Tevis Thompson on Destiny

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:04 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm going to ignore the Destiny review for just a moment, because I got lost on his site (I agree with quite a bit of what he says on various subjects, but not everything).

I do have to say: his Bioshock Infinite review is spot on. I do not understand what anyone saw in that game. It was pretty, that's about it. The shooting mechanics were god awful, it wasn't fun, and you could do anything in the pretty world. What the hell? How was this game so well received? For the record, I though the original BioShock was the same. It just plain wasn't fun to play; the story wasn't interesting enough to drag me through it all. They mystery of what the hell Rapture is wasn't enough to make me play. It never gave me a reason to give a shit.

Different strokes and all that, I know, but I just don't see it at all.

I will say, this guy makes some good points, but . . . does he not just play games for fun? He seems to be a big supporter of 'games as art' if they would only just live up to that moniker, but what ever happened to just playing for fun? Not every movie is Citizen Kane, but they don't get lambasted for it. Some movies are just popcorn flicks, and that's fine. Some games are like that too. Just because you think games have something to prove, have some standard they need to live up to gain a real acceptance as art, doesn't mean that has to be true. I like mindlessly killing things sometimes, I don't always need or want some deep experience.

On his Destiny bit . . . I don't really have much to say about it right now. Other than, who says it doesn't respect the players' time? Maybe he feels like it doesn't respect his. It sure respected mine. I've had fun nearly every single minute I've played it, so that doesn't seem disrespectful to me.

Why should anybody curb their passion?

by scarab @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:12 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

http://tevisthompson.com/the-existential-art/

He says it better than I was going to (I was going the "Most games engage your passion, but Destiny exploits your passion" route. As for why I didn't need to quit after all, I simply learned to refocus and curb my passion.)

if you have to do that to play a game then maybe you shouldn't play the game. The cost is too high.

Submit to the game? Lower your expectations? Tell yourself that it is you that is wrong?

Sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth, to accept that this is the best you can do. But to do that with something you do for pleasure???

If a game isn't pressing most of your buttons then why play it?

That I did not expect

by electricpirate @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 20:36 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Huh.

I'm looking forward to your speedrun of Problem Attic.

Tevis Thompson on Destiny

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 00:55 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Desert Golfing appears to have cost, maybe, half a thousand. Yet the two games are both simple at heart. Both have sensational physics and feel, whether in their double-jumps and guns or golf balls and sand

Desert golfing has sensational physics? The sand. Is this a spoof site? Like the Onion for Video games?

It's actually not bad.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 01:44 (3331 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

It's actually not bad.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, August 17, 2015, 00:26 (3329 days ago) @ CyberKN

I own it. It does not have great physics. Particularly around sand.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread